Medway Longboat 1742 by Diver - 1:24 Scale

Help.....  I am trying to install plank #11, 6th strake up from the keel, stem end.  I am on my 5th attempt at this piece and can not get the forward end of the plank to curve into the rabbet, the last 1/4".  I am able to get the compound curve on most of the plank but the last 1/4" eludes me.  What am I not doing?   Every attempt at curving the last bit ends up with a broken plank.  Thanks in advance.   Bob

Its impossible to say other than you need to pre bend it more.  Just keep at it and one will finally make the cut.

• 2 months later...

Have had some time in the shop and got the planking done except for the second layer at the wales.  Going to need some sanding to smooth out the hull but I am satisfied.  I know there is room for improvement in my skills, but this is what it is all about , learning as we progress.  

DSCF9816.JPG

DSCF9817.JPG

That planking pretty darn good and it should finish up nicely. Good job! 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I used CA....but it doesnt really matter as long as you make sure it doesnt slip out of position while setting.

So I have hit a Milestone.  The planking is finished, except for trimming the the wales.  My views on the build so far:  This is my very first build and a lot of mistakes have been made, and I would like the finish to have been better. Having said that, no matter what kit I had started with, the same or worse mistakes would have been made.  I thank everyone on this site for their input, guidance and support.  I have learned how to shape planks, recut planks, install planks, and how to remove planks.  Also learned how to make tools to get glue into tight places, various sanding tools and so on.  I have a lot more work to do to finish this project and have decided on my next build.  That will be Lady Eleanor from Vanguard Models.  I will purchase it from Ages Of Sail. Off to town today to pick up a drill set with the .018 bits so I can add the nails.  Thanks Chuck for a great kit.

DSCF9820.JPG

DSCF9821.JPG

Your Longboat looks really good.  You have done a good job on your first build and learned many techniques that will help you in your future builds.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Just to be sure.  The Cap Rail should be glued to the sheer of the wales and the frames.  The picture shows I am low on a couple of frames.  I do not want to sand the sheer down that far.  Would it be wise to glue some small spacers on the offending frames?  It is only on the stbd side, the port side is fine

DSCF9844.JPG

The hull looks good.  I do not see a problem with adding some material to the top of the frames to bring the frame even with the top of the wales.  Just make sure that the sheer has a smooth run from the bow to the stern.  Any material added to the frame tops should be hidden by the inboard sheer strake.

Ryland

Not a good night in the shop.  I installed the starboard side forward cap rail, only to see that I did not have it down flush at the stem.  After much work I removed the cap rail, took out the hump and cleaned everything up.  I then reinstalled the cap rail, only to discover that I had installed the port side cap rail on the stbd side.  Now I feel like an idiot.  The luxury of working with wood is I cut a piece to go in the roller slot and it is now in place.  I bit of filler and sanding and it should not be visible once it is Painted.  I then cut the roller slot in the stbd side cap rail and installed it on the port side.  All good now but have to remind myself to go slow and be careful.

Just a comment - I found that it was easier to do all the inside sanding before I installed the cap rail. Those frames need to come down quite a bit.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks for the tip.  I did sand all the char off and thinned down the frames before installing the cap rail.  I now have my bolsters on and am sanding down the outside of the rail to the recommended width.  I will then tackle the inside and install the sheer plank.  How is your build coming?   Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Making a little head way on the Medway.  I have the bolsters done and the cap rail painted with 4 coats.  I am working on the trim pieces to go under the friezes.  I want these fitted  so as to limit any damage to the friezes.  I was dreading trying to scrape the profile into the trim, but it turned out to be easier than I thought.  I used my Dremel with a metal cut off wheel and ground the profile into a razor blade and scraped away. 

DSCF9855.thumb.JPG.dd0908e882032c5002e1bd943eabf28c.jpg

DSCF9856.thumb.JPG.97b978b55227e595e7730d618c887478.jpg

DSCF9858.thumb.JPG.fe979f2e4abe84ed791f5b7120e72a9c.jpg

A good looking model and a neat workbench: who would have thought it?

👍

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Your Longboat is coming along nicely.  I like the look of the profile of the trim piece. 

Ryland

Your Longboat is looking good.  The simulated nails are a nice addition to this model.

Ryland

My advice is don't take the time to count the number of holes you have to drill. 😅 it will make the task seem even more daunting.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

On 3/7/2021 at 1:40 PM, fnkershner said:

My advice is don't take the time to count the number of holes you have to drill. 😅 it will make the task seem even more daunting.

I can not help myself.  I did count all the holes I drilled.  In one evening i drilled all the port side, the next night, the starboard side. The next evening all the mono nails were cut.  Last night they were all glued in and tonight they were all trimmed, hull sanded and one coat off WOP.