Medway Longboat 1742 by Diver - FINISHED - 1:24 Scale

A question to all builders.  I have been unable to source brass flat stock to make the chain plates for the Medway.  Today I took some 14-2 copper house wire, annealed it, and flattened it out to the size needed.  Is there any reason that This should not be used on the build, and if so,why?  Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

The end is near.  The mast is made and ready for permanent mounting.  I did manage to break the rudder of again and had to scratch build new hinges.  The rudder stays off until completion. Just have to finish shaping and blackening of the chain plates, make 3 more oars and the thole pins.  There have been times when I never thought I would get this far.  Off to the west coast for a holiday and then back to start rigging.  As of the 3rd of Sept. I am retired.

IMG_0711.jpeg

IMG_0710.jpeg

Looks great. Congratulations on your retirement - you’ll soon find yourself so busy that you’ll wonder how you ever had time for work!

• 4 weeks later...

Made it back from the west coast after a 2 hr flight delay.  Had a great time in Victoria and Seattle going to some different museums.  I started making the thole pins today, 2 down, 22 to go.  On the actual long boat would the Thole pins have been permanently mounted or removable?

Chapter 4 is finished . Onto the sticks and strings. I see all my mistakes and things I should have done better, but overall I am happy with the outcome.  It has been a valuable learning period.  Thanks to all who have helped and supported me thus far. Sorry about the photo quality, done with my I phone.

IMG_0839.jpeg

IMG_0838.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

IMG_0830.jpeg

Edited by Diver

Looks great, Bob! I think you'll enjoy the rigging. It was my favorite part of the build and really made the boat come alive. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Glad to see your progress.  It is looking great.  Rigging was my favorite part of my build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 12:56 AM, Ryland Craze said:

Glad to see your progress.  It is looking great.  Rigging was my favorite part of my build.

Slowly getting on with the rigging bits.  The mast is complete,the boom is turned and the gaff will be done today.  The bow sprit will be done while I have may contraption set up.  Do not want to upset the settings.

IMG_0906.jpeg

IMG_0905.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered the base from Chuck, and while I wait for its arrival some rigging was attempted.  The mast is not glued yet but I thought it might be a good idea to fit the shrouds. This is my first attempt at rigging and some of it is a bit sloppy and will be redone. I could not do the thimbles with a punch so they were turned in my Dremel and then blackened. When the base arrives I hope to have everything ready so this build can be completed. A satisfying trip with a lot learned.

IMG_0933.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

IMG_0935.jpeg

Your Medway is looking great.  There is nothing wrong with your rigging.  You are getting close to the finish line.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

I have reached a mile stone.  The only things left are the ensign halliard and the coils of rope.  There have been times that I did not think I would get this far. Thanks to Chuck, Ryland and all others who have offered advice and support.  There are areas that I wish were better but overall I am pleased with the outcome.  Still lots to learn and lots of room for improvements.

IMG_0967.jpeg

IMG_0969.jpeg

IMG_0965.jpeg

IMG_0966.jpeg

Great job, that looks fantastic!