Making Rope Coils with a Jig by Peta_V

ccoyle

Hey, folks! Here's a great tip for making realistic rope coils. This post was originally made by member Peta_V in his excellent build log for Master Korabel's AVOS kit, which you can read here. Enjoy!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is a short guide, how I do coils. 

I have a jig from the scrap wood with 3 removable pins (2,3,5) and 3 securing points (1,4,6).

IMG_20200320_100813.thumb.jpg.33934c0ffe2587b195d1e939afa1d8b7.jpg

1. Secure the line to point 1 and make several loops around pins 2 and 3. I do 4-6 loops so the coils does not look similar. (I start with removed pin 5). Once finished with loops secure the other end to point 4.

IMG_20200320_100921.thumb.jpg.68a057ef644890b89fd47e722f07534e.jpg

2. Unsecure line from point 1 and pull out the very first loop through the middle of the coil. IMG_20200320_100951.thumb.jpg.30cf5fcaf77303017ee330f987d6fedf.jpg

3. Now you have to twist this to form the eye and secure it with pin 5.

IMG_20200320_101028.thumb.jpg.0dcac1f7a4131e2035c07dccffdf97ed.jpg

4. Remove pin 2 and fully insert pin 5. Now you can adjust the coil as you want a once happy secure the end to point 6.

IMG_20200320_101118.thumb.jpg.38113f1f00682ef6f6f83c751627130f.jpg

5. Now I secure the coil with 3 drops of CA glue. One where the eye meets coil, second ať the bottom of the coil and third to secure the loose end to the coil. Remove the coil from the jig by removing pin 5 and trim the excess thread. 

IMG_20200320_101159.thumb.jpg.c87f213f29963fb7260330953cf7b5ff.jpg

6. Place the coil on the deck

IMG_20200320_101246.thumb.jpg.b9e5cc89968c29faf9a31fcc03baa0d3.jpg

Perhaps someone finds it usefull. 

Stay healthy! 

Peta_V 

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Thanks for sharing Peta, a modified (and better) version of a method I have been using.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Similar to what I use, but I put one of the nails such that the coil is bent 90 degrees.    Hit it with some water/white glue mix and it hangs well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This is a great little diagram.  I assume you are fixing the actual rigging to the belay pin area in some other way.  Ive seen some folks simply tie it down with an overhand knot and hit it with a dab of CA, then hang the coil over that.  I wonder if in some form, that this is basically what everyone does?  Or if some nut out there is actually belaying and coiling the same line that runs into their rigging!  An admirable thing to do for sure.

@Justin P. Yes, the line is attached to the pin with "8-style" knot (same as in reality) then cut and the eye of the coil goes over the knot. CA glue is used to simulate some weight.

In 1/72 scale (which is my AVOS) everything is so tiny that it would not be podsible to do it on the same line. (I'm having problems only hang the coils on some places on fully rigged model)! 

Peta_V

Justin,

That's what a lot of do.  Run the line, a quick wrap, a spot of glue and put the coil on the pin.  Trim away the excess.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Nice demonstration.

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

• 3 weeks later...

A better version than what I’ve done. Your method of creating the loop is excellent and one I’ll adopt. Thanks!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

great method and tremendous explanation! thanks!

Current builds:

Kotare 1/32 Spitfire Mk.Ia

Model Shipways 1/48 Longboat

Model Shipways 1/24 Grand Banks Dory

Soon to start:

Fully framed Echo

Completed builds:

Wingnut Wings AMC DH9

East Coast Oyster Sharpie

Echo Cross Section

1/48 Scratchbuilt Hannah from Hahn plans

1/64 Kitbashed Rattlesnake from Bob Hunt practicum