Dinghy by Voyageur - FINISHED - Midwest Products - small - first ship model build ever

For the oars, I rounded out the interior side of the mahogany pieces so they fit flush with the 1/8” dowel. The fit was perfect and sanded down with no need for filler in the gap that would have been there if left flat. I don’t have a mill so it was freehand. 

DE09A2C7-D7E9-44D3-9381-47180834AA3A.jpeg

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

Everything looks great! I see you have been using a Quadhands tool. I got one about a week ago and have been using it on while rigging my Medway Longboat and it's a fantastic tool to have. Man, those magnets are strong though aren't they? It's a 1000 times more stable and useful than the cheap "helping hands" thing I was trying to use before I got the Quadhands.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

45 minutes ago, BobG said:

Everything looks great! I see you have been using a Quadhands tool. I got one about a week ago and have been using it on while rigging my Medway Longboat and it's a fantastic tool to have. Man, those magnets are strong though aren't they? It's a 1000 times more stable and useful than the cheap "helping hands" thing I was trying to use before I got the Quadhands.

Thanks Bob. Yes they are! I discovered them through a post somewhere on this forum. Mine aren't magnetic. My arms screw in from the bottom through the rubber foot. I was expecting magnetic but got this and I'm OK with it. I wrote a glowing review on Amazon.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

Well, here is my finished dinghy. Not perfect but I think she’s seaworthy. Thanks for your likes and comments!
on to my next project...

9B54E3D5-977C-4206-967A-157E3E0CA79C.jpeg

C5508BDB-2E45-4CD5-A780-5EB9D1D6D16C.jpeg

7D42EA48-5768-4BC4-98F3-ADD9BB570D0B.jpeg

AFA2CC71-1A2C-4419-ACEF-5381A512A668.jpeg

D9FF99E5-AB11-402A-9A68-2F76B7A7BFBB.jpeg

0111CA80-9DF1-4883-BF5E-4D9E4BF9E1DC.jpeg

6B002942-B83E-441D-B9FD-5CBE19720065.jpeg

6E6FE9EA-2560-4A78-B2ED-498F6CE477D5.jpeg

8933A57C-DB02-4452-82AC-9D064DB20F65.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

You've done a fine job with this lovely boat. These small boats have a special charm about them and I always enjoy seeing them get built.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Wonderful job. These MW kits make great little boats. I am going to try to build as many as I can lay my hands on,

53 minutes ago, Voyageur said:

Not perfect but I think she’s seaworthy

She's very presentable, and success with even a "simple" kit does wonders for one's confidence going into the next challenge. Congrats!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

4 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Wonderful job. These MW kits make great little boats. I am going to try to build as many as I can lay my hands on,

I agree. I think I’ll make more small craft in the future. I appreciate your comments!

~ Aristotle 

43 minutes ago, Beef Wellington said:

Well done, looks great!  So what's next?

Model Shipway’s Katy of Norfolk. Hope to start next week.

~ Aristotle 

Congratulations!  Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me