Newbie from The Villages Fl

Jeff5115

Hello to everyone. My name is Jeff and I am going to give the hobby a try. Attempted a build many years ago before the internet was even around. It was a POF model and I struggled and made many mistakes. With the internet and so much info available I want to give it a go again.  I want to start out with a basic model so I have chosen a solid hull model so I can ease into planking down the road. I will be building the Model Expo Katy of Norfolk.  It looks like there is not a build log for this model so I am thinking of starting one for this ship.  The Villages is the largest retirement community in the world so besides this forum I am going to see if there are any modelers who live here who could advise me.  I am hoping as a newbie I will be able to get help from the forum as I am sure I will need it. 

Current Build

18th Century Armed Longboat-Model Shipways

Completed Build

Lady Eleanor-Vanguard Models

King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW. 

Don't worry you'll definitely get plenty  of help and encouragement here. Enjoy and have fun. 

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I just googled it. That's a seriously attractive vessel. And yes, certainly start a build log. You'll find a lot of help from members, as well as a lot of encouragement. You'll still make mistakes - we all do - but you'll also be able to get help in correcting them from people with  lot of experience, who've probably made the same mistakes themselves as they learnt the ropes.

Looking forward to seeing Katy's progress!

Steven

Hi Chris

I am building the current solid-hull version.

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

I built the POB version, which had a number of issues. The instructions and kit contents would obviously have had to have been modified for a solid-hull version, but I'm unfamiliar with the changes. Interestingly, the POB version was itself a revision of the original solid-hull version, which dates way back to MS's yellow box days.

There's a few photos of my finished model in the gallery here.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hi Chris

I loved the pictures of the finished project. Hope I can do just as well.

Current Build

Completed Build

Future Build

Vanguard Models- Alert

Jeff Farber

Hello Jeff and welcome aboard,

I live down the road a piece but there are a few members up closer to you. But that is the beauty of a forum like this you have as many neighbors as there are members and the vast majority are happy to help.

Good luck with you build and be sure to start a log.

Best Regards

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)