Red Baron by pwog - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 3/8" - Lobster Boat

The painting is going slowly, as I wait 24 hours between coats. I finished the well deck and moved on to the main deck, cabin roof and pilot house roof. I decided to stray from the original color scheme and not mix the flat white paint with the Jade green. I did mix both for my first coat. Also, the difference is very subtle. The Jade Green paint is thinner and goes on so much nicer than the primer and flat white. 

While waiting between coats I built the lobster traps, stained them and scratched some lobster buoys, to scale, from a dowel and bass wood. 

68B3CFD2-1F5E-4BEC-A3FD-BDBF8128B494.jpeg

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

Just a quick update...

I'm still in the painting process. I finally got the deck to look (probably) as good as I'm going to get it. The image shows seven coats of jade green. As I previously mentioned, the jade green was so much thinner than the other paints I've used on this boat, so far. I'm not sure if that is something that is normal across model paint manufacturers or not. I started to paint the hull a flat red and that paint is very thick compared to the jade green (all from the same manufacturer).

IMG_2165.thumb.jpg.1d8c3a3d85dec0081bad9a68186fe679.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

Thanks VTHoklEE! The brand is True North Precision Enamels, they came with the kit.

Paul

Completed Builds:

I don’t have significant experience with painting but the Humbrol paints that I’m currently trying have variation in thickness between colors. I have heard Admiralty paints may have better coverage though (?). 

@VTHokiEE I’ve started researching acrylics for my next build.

Paul

Completed Builds:

James, I'm not sure what primer you are using but I've always had good luck using Krylon spray primer (grey or white) from the hardware store. It goes on pretty evenly, dries quick, sands well and forms a good base for the paint. 

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

@schooner

Hi Tim,

I think you meant to post the above to this build log:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25401-lobster-boat-red-baron-by-ctyankee-bluejacket-38-scale/?tab=comments#comment-757261

James is having problems with primer. 

Paul

Completed Builds:

Your right, sorry.

BTW, is your "avatar"  photo your boat?

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

1 hour ago, schooner said:

Your right, sorry.

BTW, is your "avatar"  photo your boat?

@schooner

No reason to apologize. 

Yes, my avatar is my boat. It’s a Monk 36 trawler. They only made 254 of them. Mine is hull #077. 

Paul

Completed Builds:

Nice looking boat! I thought it might be a Grand Banks.

There is an interesting build log of Amati's Grand Banks kit, "Grand Banks by Mindi" https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24208-grand-banks-46-by-mindi-amati-models-120/

I've been thinking of doing an RC build but I don't want to mess around laying fiberglass on a wood hull. This kit has a fiberglass hull but some very nice looking wood detailing inside and out. You could probably bash it into a good facsimile of your boat.

Tim

USS Olympia (Gallery)

@schooner

I’ve been watching that build. I never thought of bashing it, but now you have me thinking. I probably need more experience before taking on something like that, but that would be cool having a model of my boat.

A lot of people think the Monk is a Grand Banks. They look very similar, especially the older ones. Personally, I like our layout much better than the GBs of the the same era and size. The Monk being a lot more comfortable and sensible layout.

Paul

Completed Builds:

I thought I would update my log, as I am still a bit mystified about the painting. I am now in the process of painting the hull. Those that have been following along will know that My painting process has been taking a while. The flat red for the hull is pretty thick, but I really like the way it is going on. The following image is after just three coats. I think one more will do it for this color.

AF3977B6-C8D4-406D-ABD6-4F49C15BB3C7.thumb.jpeg.94f8fec93a4efb3b4ea498b98f6b89d4.jpeg

Paul

Completed Builds:

Just read your log from the beginning Paul, and you're progressing nicely on this model.  Bluejacket makes a great kit, but it still requires dedication and effort (just as you are doing) to produce a really fine model.  First time builds are difficult, but going forward you will build confidence and I'm sure the end result will be beautiful.  Keep at it and watch out for rolling knives. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Another quick update. I have completed the hull painting including marking my waterline. I strayed from the instructions, as I used Tamiya masking tape instead of the supplied pin striping tape. The instructions called for using the pin striping tape (which will also be used to make the boat topping) to mask off the waterline by rubbing the adhesive side between your fingers to decrease the holding power to minimize the tape lifting paint when removed. I didn't trust myself that I would prepare the adhesive surface adequately, so I used the Tamiya.

The image was taken as I'm waiting for the final coat of bottom paint to dry. I was so nervous about the waterline tape lifting the red paint on the hull that I couldn't wait to remove it. I'm very pleased with my result.

As much as I complained about the other paint coverage and application (see above log), the flat red and Green or Grun, as it is named, went on and covered beautifully! I am still baffled by the difference in paints across the supplied bottles. In the end I am pleased with the end result, so far. I have just a bit more painting to do.

IMG_2185.thumb.jpg.b55c476d0e750c0a06267d9faeda9917.jpg

IMG_2186.thumb.jpg.115ffde10d00fc03e9cdff09cb20dd5e.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

49 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

The waterline looks sharp! Nice painting!

@VTHokiEE Thank you! I appreciate your support. 

Paul

Completed Builds:

Almost finished with the majority of the painting. I am currently working on painting the sheer guards and toe rails.

As I’m waiting between coats I am prepping some of the other details required for fitting out the boat to complete the build.

I framed the cabin door and scratched the hinges and door pull. I cut two small pieces of 30G .010 brass sheetIng and then cut two pieces of brass rod to make the hinges. For the door pull, I cut a piece of brass wire and bent it to shape.

D7EAAFDC-EE88-4634-93DA-4D7C05D05CFF.thumb.jpeg.668b8216510f1a4e4131936f5c024a98.jpeg

Paul

Completed Builds:

@VTHokiEE Thanks! I got the idea from @schooner

Paul

Completed Builds:

Got my windows cut, mounted and framed. I’m not really happy with my job on this one. I was pondering taking it all off and trying again, but I am afraid of ruining the paint job and making an overall mess of everything. So, I decided to use it as a learning lesson. Isn’t that what first builds are for?

I would definitely use a different method when cutting plexiglass. Also, I think I need better tweezers. I don’t have any with serrated blades, so everything seems to slip a lot. 

35A67E9B-5AD6-4C14-896C-D05928A143B8.thumb.jpeg.67905d18ec537f068ebccc9a03ee388c.jpeg

DD348521-7533-4730-A8B7-CF6485C379F4.thumb.jpeg.ec9fe6141f81fa9d1f3b91579f283010.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.bee7e8a3531932fe2b78abcd28a5d64a.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds:

20 minutes ago, pwog said:

was pondering taking it all off and trying again, but I am afraid of ruining the paint job and making an overall mess of everything. So, I decided to use it as a learning lesson. Isn’t that what first builds are for?

Really liking that paint job. 

Not to push you in either direction, but first builds can also be a good time to try the repair 😉. Nice tweezer and nice files are really good tools to have. I’d consider at least filing down the frames that extend to far on the left window when you are facing them. 

IMHO

If you are not happy now, think of how it will eat at you for the next 20 years.

If it is truly a learning lesson what is to be lost by taking it off and trying again.

Only lesson learnt is by doing it over until you're  satisfied.  If something gets damaged, do that over too.  You will be glad you did... eventually.

I was so reluctant to remove items... now I don't  think twice about it...but it did hurt the first few times.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

On 10/26/2020 at 9:36 PM, VTHokiEE said:

first builds can also be a good time to try the repair

On 10/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, AON said:

If you are not happy now, think of how it will eat at you for the next 20 years

On 10/27/2020 at 8:48 AM, MrBlueJacket said:

But if you're not happy, I think it's necessary. Go for it and make yourself proud!

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto

Your model is looking very good Paul.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

On 10/26/2020 at 10:00 PM, AON said:

IMHO

If you are not happy now, think of how it will eat at you for the next 20 years.

If it is truly a learning lesson what is to be lost by taking it off and trying again.

Only lesson learnt is by doing it over until you're  satisfied.  If something gets damaged, do that over too.  You will be glad you did... eventually.

I was so reluctant to remove items... now I don't  think twice about it...but it did hurt the first few times.

Many of us say that if it's worth doing, it's worth being happy about it. Welcome to the world of adjusting everything regardless of how much experience you have.   Overcoming the little problems is an extra source of joy over that provided by the kit manufactures, if that makes sense.This hobby is one of craftsmanship, making every model a unique work of art...as yours now is. I hope you get as much satisfaction from your build as we all do from ours. 

Current build: Great Harry, restoration 

On hold: Soliel Royale, Mantua

Completed:

Bluenose ll, Artesania Latina

San Francisco llArtesania Latina

Chris Craft barrel back triple cockpit, Dumas

Chris Craft 1940 double cockpit, Dumas

Santa Maria, Artesania Latina

1901 Scow Schooner, scratch built

Hannah, Continental Navy, scratch built 

Candelaria bomb ship, OcCre

Pride of Baltimore, Model Shipways

17 foot Chesapeake kayak (2, one scratch), Midwest

USN Picket Boat #1, Model Shipways

Kobuksan, Turtle Korean ironclad, YoungModeler

HMS Revenge, scratch

NY Pilot Boat, kit bashed, Model Shipways

USS Monitor, scratch

Nuestra Senora de Afortunado, 1926 Popular Science plan, Resoration

Martha, CBMM,

Puddle Jumper, scratch stern wheeler

Lady Sarah, kit bashed Constructo Victorian launch

Another quick update. I painted the propeller bronze and I’m in the process of painting the rudder. Once that is done I’m going to do some tweets and touch ups and finish with adding the dry transfers for boat name, hailing port. 

Happy Halloween!

B6946CF7-0C2F-4FFD-973F-361A36C3075A.thumb.jpeg.38bd3fb709338bb1c7dfe45b86ce0b62.jpeg

Paul

Completed Builds:

Okay, I believe I am finished my first build. After all is said and done, I am very happy with my result. Looking closely, I can see many imperfections, some I may touch up or try to correct. It's not perfect. After all, it would be unrealistic of me to think I could be perfect my first time out. I might also say that if you've ever seen a working lobster boat, they can look very rough and sometimes scratch built. :) That being said, I have learned a lot from this build. I have started using skills that I have never tried before, especially when it came to working with wood, scratching out some details and figuring out how to do some of the tasks involved.

I would like to thank everyone following for their support. In particular, I would like to thank schooner (Tim) for his insight, ideas and guidance.

I enjoyed building this boat so much. I am looking forward to starting my next one.

Your thoughts and/or suggestions are always welcome.

IMG_2219.thumb.jpg.f9723cc6ccecf7dee46dc8ced7481320.jpg

IMG_2220.thumb.jpg.1124b41fab8cfb9a8124b03e6bf3927c.jpg

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.001bc9d7635413b009e493c0e628b505.jpg

IMG_2224.thumb.jpg.906cd327c74a9e9f626ecd46b26e68b7.jpgIMG_2225.thumb.jpg.8f7c9d83a5f070c69439c8290289816d.jpg

IMG_2228.thumb.jpg.6376534c83c45063342dc0b7c3cddff1.jpg

IMG_2226.thumb.jpg.0fa7765cae013732485566701158a55e.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

Paul

Completed Builds: