Another new hand here

Jimkb1mcv

Since I signed on the forum a few weeks ago, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself.

I've been browsing the content and have to confess to being a bit taken with the quality of craftsmanship.

I spent around 38 years in the maritime industry (working vessels), spent several years as Chief Engineer on a side trawler and finished my career as Chief Engineer on a 30k ton bulker.  I came ashore in 2007.

One of my hobbies  has been building models starting with balsa flying models in the 1950s and built  my first Friendship sloop model at sea on a factory ship in the late '60s.  In the past I mostly scratchbuilt my models except for a 1/96 Benjamin Lathrop from a Model Shipways kit in the mid-seventies, assisted with a by now battered copy of Chappell's 'The American Fishing Schooner'.

I would comment that information and documentation was very difficult to obtain shoreside and of course impossible at sea.

The internet has changed that along with not having to have film developed at the neighborhood drugstore.

In August I was part of a antique auto tour that happened to overnight in Searsport, Maine right along side Bluejacket Shipcrafters.

I had been eyeing one of their kits on the net for some time and to make a yarn a bit shorter left the shop with a kit to build Liberty Ship Jerimiah O'Brian under my arm.  She may end up with a different name, that remains to be seen. I have studied Schooner's excellent SS Stephen Hopkins building documentation and I think have gained some insight on the ship.

As one of my old Chiefs said, 'The Liberties were built by the mile and cot off by the yard".  I also spent an enjoyable evening with the Naval gun crew off the 'SS John Brown" at the 'Cats Eye Pub' in Baltimore a number of years ago. But thats another story.

I need the refine my digital photography skills among other things.

Thanks for letting me join.

Jim Richardson

Hi Jim and welcome to Model Ship World.  I hope you do a build log on your liberty ship.  We would be glad to see you document your progress on this model.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome to MSW, Jim.  I hope you will start a build log as it's the best way to get help and make friends here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jim, from PNW a warm welcome to MSW.

I certainly look forward to your build log of "different ship name" of Jerimiah O'Brian.

We are certainly glad you have been inspired by other members in here.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

:piratebo5:welcome to MSW 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome to MSW. Always room for someone who knows a thing or two about ships!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Jim!

When you start your build, make sure you also start a build log. It will give you access to advice and help from the members here as well as us getting to see your build in progress. Here'show to do it:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24705-before-you-post-your-build-log-please-read-this-starting-and-naming-your-build-log/

And don't get too intimidated by other people's builds. There's a broad range of expertise here, from the complete newbie to people who can produce models of museum quality (and the latter seem to be amongst the most helpful people on MSW, I've found). 

Jump right in, and have fun with it!