Retired Engineer

DaveBaxt

After retiring from a life at see (34 years) a while ago and now once again taking an interest in ships. I have taking to modelling. I have already started my first model boat and just completed the bulkheads to the two part keel , faired the bulkheads and in the process of filling in and shaping  in the stem and stern and shaping to take the planking. Already I have thought i should perhaps taken more care with the above proceedures. Unfortunately i have not carried out some of the procedures explained on this web site as they weren't mentioned in the instructions . I am now also wondering to extend the block filling between bulkheads further aft  as this to me seems to me to be the area of greatest change and think the planks would benefit from further support.

Although a good way off painting  anything I did wonder at what stage do I start painting, ie do I start painting some areas such has the hull etc prior to completion or do I wait until the model is completed? I have already taken lots of ideas from this forum and and find most of it very informative however I am finding some of it I have to read the articals several times for it to sink in. Sign of old age .Haha.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Hello Dave and a warm welcome to MSW. You will find this is a great place to ask questions and see how other people solved problems.

Welcome aboard!

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

1 hour ago, bruce d said:

Hello Dave and a warm welcome to MSW. You will find this is a great place to ask questions and see how other people solved problems.

Welcome aboard!

Thankyou for your kind welcome.

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Welcome to MSW, Dave.   I'll offer a few thoughts on your model building.... First.. open a build log of your own.  It's a great way to get help and meet other builders.   Second, do a search in the Kit area for the model you are building and you can see how others have solved problems.  

Lastly, make sure you're having fun.   Building ship models is a great way to relax and to be creative.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greetings! When working on kits I tended to paint once the part was complete (so the wales when the wales done) but not wait until the end as rigging etc gets in the way.

On my first kit i did this then covered the entire model in talcum powder in an erroneous attempt to mark the water line. Then I had to paint it again plus wash out bits that should not be painted. (Did look good as a 'ghost' ship though...)

Welcome to Model Ship World Dave.  I tend to paint as I progress through my build.  Check out some of the build logs and you will see how other members painted their models while building them.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome Dave!!  I am with Ryland regarding painting.  Actually I much  prefer to not use paint but rather different types of wood, but that is not always possible.  For my current project there is quite a bit of painting including the hull in two colors above and below the waterline, painted deck houses, and bulwarks.   Once the hull was planked  she was painted, but  individual parts such as the deck house bulkheads  have been painted before being fixed in place as not everything gets painted.    

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

welcome to MSW,

i paint as i go along

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me