1/48 Italeri Hawk T.1A (On Hold)

@king derelict   Thank you kindly Alan,    they are very nice kits, always liked their accuracy  and the way they go together  - both this and my  Chinook  are both Italeri.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

5 hours ago, Canute said:

Nice progress, OC. The intakes fit up well.

Thank you kindly Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    we bit of progress  - the bird has wings  -   I started off  painting/weathering the wheel wells, then the wing assemblies where contstructed, then glued in place, I tiny bit of putty in a hair line gap  - but  not a  bad fit, still needs a bit of sanding to blend the lines.

OC.

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,    double tasking  today  -  So  I  sanded the wing/fuselage  join,   then I fitted the  airbrake  assembly, and the  tailplanes.

OC.

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all,   some more progress  done in between  trying to  settle our little pooch  who was terriefied  by all the Fireworks  going off around us, poor thing  was trying to find somewhere to hide  - we had to have the TV   volume way up  to try to help.

So  It was  Flaps time  - they are  positionable  up or down, the  flap actuation arms  come in Two different shapes in the kit, I decided  to make them  dropped   - bit fiddly   getting them ligned up, but after a bit of adjustment  - they are on.

OC.IMG-1635.jpg

IMG-1636.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

The plane is still looking good.   As for fireworks... what's the occasion?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

The plane is still looking good.   As for fireworks... what's the occasion?   

Guy Fawkes Day, British observance, celebrated on November 5, commemorating the failure of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605

As Jack said  - its our yearly  Bonfire Night    - always a  bad time for our dog  as the  banging  really upsets her.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The Fourth of July celebrations can make one of my pups go coo-coo too. He's a real coward and he's a hunting dog breed?🙄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the knowlege.  I didn't realize which holiday it was.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Evening all,   so  more bench time  -  I fitted the last of the small items  then I reached  primer time,  my  feeling at this time  was:dancetl6:😀 as I love using my  airbrush, any way  I mixed some of my primer  along with some flow improver  and  first aimed it at the side wall of my  cardboard  spray booth  and the airbrush was blowing bubbles  with no paint coming out the nozzle, so I emptied it out and  took my airbrush apart and cleaned it again,  then I tried again  - it was sparying agian but not at all smooth  it was splattering  - thank good ness  it  the primer and can be sanded.

I decided it was best to do a full clean of the airbrush so I took every part of it  out  and using my cleaner  I found little bits of tiny dried on paint flecks, after the deep clean I put it back together  and ran some water through it  - all good again  more air was now running through it.

Tell you what I spent about  Five minutes  spraying the model and about  2 hours cleaning the airbrush  - they so need  so much  attention  and not just by spraying through cleaner and water after paint  - looks like it needs stripping down after every paint session.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all,   so  more bench time  -  I fitted the last of the small items  then I reached  primer time,  my  feeling at this time  was:dancetl6:😀 as I love using my  airbrush, any way  I mixed some of my primer  along with some flow improver  and  first aimed it at the side wall of my  cardboard  spray booth  and the airbrush was blowing bubbles  with no paint coming out the nozzle, so I emptied it out and  took my airbrush apart and cleaned it again,  then I tried again  - it was sparying agian but not at all smooth  it was splattering  - thank good ness  it  the primer and can be sanded.

I decided it was best to do a full clean of the airbrush so I took every part of it  out  and using my cleaner  I found little bits of tiny dried on paint flecks, after the deep clean I put it back together  and ran some water through it  - all good again  more air was now running through it.

Tell you what I spent about  Five minutes  spraying the model and about  2 hours cleaning the airbrush  - they so need  so much  attention  and not just by spraying through cleaner and water after paint  - looks like it needs stripping down after every paint session.

OC.

Thats about my ratio; far more time cleaning than spraying but I think the air brushed paint is so good that its well worth it. I usually finish a cleaning by spraying some cleaner into a paper towel. It proves to me that its running clean and the flow is good. I pull the needle, nozzle guards and work cleaner through it all. I tend not to pull the nozzle every time because it has a very small o seal which deteriorated if you mess with it too much and I can't find a source of replacements.

Having said all that I went to spray the a7v the other day and the paint just would not spray. I ended up pouring the paint into my other air brush (I have two cheap ones) and dumped the first one into a container of water. The second air brush worked fine and I cleaned both afterwards without finding anything untoward and they both work fine again. Voodoo

Alan

@king derelict  Alan   I have one of those spray jars  with a sealed top that you can spray into  to clean the airbrush, I use a mixture of warm  destilled water and my  cleaner usually  by filling up the  bowl a few times and spray into the  jar till  I get that sound  telling me just air is running through it  I then  spray it against the side wall of my box booth  to check if any liquid/water is stil coming out, I do that a few times.

I think the culprit  is the Vallejo Acrylic Surface primer  as the small dried paint flecks that where in the nozzle where Black  and thats the only Black thing thats been through my airbrush   - wonder if I could thin  the primer down a bit  say 30%  so it flows better  even with my flow improver bottle  (this gets a few drops per cup of paint)

All a learning curve for me.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Would an ultra sonic type cleaner work well for these? I've seen small units for small parts cleaning in the past but not sure if they still make them.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Evening all,  spent more time at the bench today  - first job was to  wet sand  areas where the  first primer  went down rough with splats and  over sprays  - actually  took quite a bit off, then after wiping  over  I decided  to give it a go again  -  my airbrush  was now working as it should  - but I am learning  its about practice getting the right layer/s  down  without runs  or build ups  and also difficult  placing the  model  - I  had to sit it on a small box ontop of my rotating  spray table   spraying the top side first  - drying with hairdryer  then turning it over and  spraying the underside  -  outcome  - still some  over sprays  and marks from where the  plane rested on the box.

So  some more light sanding to do  and a bit of isolated spraying.

Fun and games  folks.

No pictures  as I am not happy showing it at this stage.

Think I prefer  my figure painting as I have more control over them with a hairy stick.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

18 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

@king derelict  Alan   I have one of those spray jars  with a sealed top that you can spray into  to clean the airbrush, I use a mixture of warm  destilled water and my  cleaner usually  by filling up the  bowl a few times and spray into the  jar till  I get that sound  telling me just air is running through it  I then  spray it against the side wall of my box booth  to check if any liquid/water is stil coming out, I do that a few times.

I think the culprit  is the Vallejo Acrylic Surface primer  as the small dried paint flecks that where in the nozzle where Black  and thats the only Black thing thats been through my airbrush   - wonder if I could thin  the primer down a bit  say 30%  so it flows better  even with my flow improver bottle  (this gets a few drops per cup of paint)

All a learning curve for me.

OC.

Hi OC. I think my Vallejo primer with their thinner, maybe 10 to 20% and it sprays nicely

Alan

1 minute ago, king derelict said:

Hi OC. I think my Vallejo primer with their thinner, maybe 10 to 20% and it sprays nicely

Alan

Thank you Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Message to self  - "Do not breath in Acrylic  primer  - ware a face mask  it can play up ones breathing and  cause a  bad throat)    sometimes difficult when you need both glasses and optovisor to see what  you are doing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Face mask is always an excellent idea with spray painting, be it rattle cans or airbrush.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

14 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Face mask is always an excellent idea with spray painting, be it rattle cans or airbrush.  

Indeed Mark,   you should see me today  - mask on with my glasses and optovisor  trying to stop them steaming up so I can see what I am doing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Evening all  -  Day Three  of my airbrush   experience   - after being more methodical  and cleaning  the plane  with wet sanding, I think I  got a better finish  from my airbrush, just one tiny area that needs a bit more work  - but I am more happy with it.

OC.

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Evening all  -  Day Three  of my airbrush   experience   - after being more methodical  and cleaning  the plane  with wet sanding, I think I  got a better finish  from my airbrush, just one tiny area that needs a bit more work  - but I am more happy with it.

OC.

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

That finish looks really good OC

Alan

24 minutes ago, king derelict said:

That finish looks really good OC

Alan

Thank you so much Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Very well done on the paint.  Before I read the text, I thought you were changing this to a night fighter.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

1 minute ago, mtaylor said:

Very well done on the paint.  Before I read the text, I thought you were changing this to a night fighter.

No Mark,   she will be a Shiny Black bird  with a colourful tail.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So  my next stage  - will be to do a very minor slight sand to a very minor ridge on the one cowling  - then a  very quick blast over,   then I will  do a White paint over the centre frame on the canopy, this will then be tapped over  and a Gloss Black paint will be spayed all over (I will have to  wait for a bit as I currently do not have and Gloss Black or tamiya tape)    - so this bird may be put on the back burner while I find something else to start/continue/finish    don't worry I still have enough  sins to work on  / I mean kit projects.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Dear OC, I am sorry to hear the problems you had with your airbrush. However, the last result of your Hawk black primed looks very good. It is indeed very important to have a clean airbrush nozzle to be sure of getting consistent results. I usually spray Tamiya acryilics, but lately I also tried Mr Color paints and I was impressed by their quality. At any rate, remaining with Tamiya, to obtain an uniform shiny finish with their gloss paints, if I may, I have the following suggestions which worked for me:

- use a thinner ratio of 50%-50%

- add a flow improver/retarder

- use a low pressure of about +/- 20 psi

- start with a mist coverage, once reasonably dry, apply more solid wet layers with smooth adjacent passes. Do not insist within the same pass

- make trials on other plastic or cards.

In addition: you n. 1 enemy is dust; try to remove dust from the model and spray below a cardboard/plate that acts as a particle stopping ceiling. If you have not foreseen a stick fixed into the jet pipe for handling the model, plan in advance how to handle the model, for example holding it by a wing which is then sprayed in a later session when you can touch the other wing.

good luck,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

2 hours ago, Danstream said:

Dear OC, I am sorry to hear the problems you had with your airbrush. However, the last result of your Hawk black primed looks very good. It is indeed very important to have a clean airbrush nozzle to be sure of getting consistent results. I usually spray Tamiya acryilics, but lately I also tried Mr Color paints and I was impressed by their quality. At any rate, remaining with Tamiya, to obtain an uniform shiny finish with their gloss paints, if I may, I have the following suggestions which worked for me:

- use a thinner ratio of 50%-50%

- add a flow improver/retarder

- use a low pressure of about +/- 20 psi

- start with a mist coverage, once reasonably dry, apply more solid wet layers with smooth adjacent passes. Do not insist within the same pass

- make trials on other plastic or cards.

In addition: you n. 1 enemy is dust; try to remove dust from the model and spray below a cardboard/plate that acts as a particle stopping ceiling. If you have not foreseen a stick fixed into the jet pipe for handling the model, plan in advance how to handle the model, for example holding it by a wing which is then sprayed in a later session when you can touch the other wing.

good luck,

Dan.

Thank you kindly for explaining that to me,  I have the Vallejo acrylic  flow improver  (put a few drops into my airbrush bowl with the paint and mix with a brush)    do you recomend Tamiya's  X1  Gloss Acrylic  for spraying  with?

I have a round spray table I tend to use that to spray on  putting the plane first upside down  and  spray the underside  turning the  table  round as I need,  then after drying with a hairdryer  I then turn the plane over and paint the top surfaces  turning it  round as needed.

Its a learning curve  - but an enjoyable one.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

very nice OC,

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat