DHC - 6 Twin Otter by JACK12477 - Revell 1:72 - FINISHED

Jack12477

I don't recall seeing the C-119 version but I think it was pretty much a short term thing before the C-130 version came out.   I'm vaguely remember we gave some gunships to the South for their use, but don't remember which one.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

we gave some gunships to the South for their use, but don't remember which one. 

It appears  that I don't know as much about the gunships as I thought I did, but I'm pretty certain that the only ones we would have given the south would have been the AC-47 versions.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

You're probably right, Lou..  dusty and foggy memory on my part.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

From Wiki....

The AC-47D gunship should not be confused with a small number of C-47s that were fitted with electronic equipment in the 1950s. Prior to 1962, these aircraft were designated AC-47D. When a new designation system was adopted in 1962, these became EC-47Ds. The original gunships had been designated FC-47D by the USAF, but with protests from fighter pilots, this designation was changed to AC-47D during 1965. Of the 53 aircraft converted to AC-47 configuration, 41 served in Vietnam and 19 were lost to all causes, 12 in combat. Combat reports indicate that no village or hamlet under Spooky protection was ever lost, and a plethora of reports from civilians and military personnel were made about AC-47s coming to the rescue and saving their lives.

As the United States began Project Gunship II, (AC-130 Spectre/Spooky/Stinger II/Ghostrider) and Project Gunship III, (AC-119G Shadow, AC-119K Stinger) many of the remaining AC-47Ds were transferred to the Republic of Vietnam Air Force, the Royal Lao Air Force, and Cambodia's Khmer Air Force.

North Vietnam captured several AC-47s in 1975, and some of them are very likely to have seen combat in Cambodia.

In December 1984 and January 1985, the United States supplied two AC-47D gunships to the El Salvador Air Force (FAS) and trained aircrews to operate the system.

The AC-47D's were easy to fly and devastating when on target....  Served for over 30 years in various airforces... Just imagine if they had thought the idea up during WWII or Korea?

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks Egilman.   Cleared that right up.  Teach me not to take the few minutes to Google.

As for WWII, they were headed there... adding as many guns as they could.   No mini guns though, but they did mount assorted 37mm guns. I've heard they did a lot of testing with different configurations, armament and aircraft but there were a lot of issues that stopped most dead in their tracks.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

In today's mail came the following goodies 

20210123_141803.thumb.jpg.21a30bb63cf30840b97018e6e1f62ddd.jpg20210123_141354.thumb.jpg.715a5898996a1a9d5c2c8f4dbe5e10e1.jpg20210123_141607.thumb.jpg.0320a6aba9c7ac8b28c3c9e59db3466b.jpg

So at some future point when I again get bored with the Constellation build I will more choices in the stash. BTW  the figure is 1:35 scale about 2 inches tall, should be fun painting him. 🙂

I am back working on the Constellation, I will post updates in that build when I make a little more progress on it.

Nice looking choices. Is the figure from some movie or book?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 hours ago, lmagna said:

Is the figure from some movie or book?

Don't know the origin. Just a cool looking figure, challenging to paint, not expensive either. So I bought it. He's supposed to be from some futuristic war. Box shows 3 additional figures in series. 

Update: Lou, here's the back story that appears on the box. I've never heard of this series before but I do like the challenge of painting this figure.

20210124_110728.thumb.jpg.15e895442e7c112b5cd46b3b967a2a98.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

@lmagna  Lou did some Google searches and came up with these 3 additional kits in the series. Looks like the kit origin is Ukraine.  Have not seen the others offered in any of my online hobby stores, only the 1st in series. All are 1:35 scale.

1304321-16432-80-720.jpg.4242294d188a5e7486ab9dee9910d721.jpg71F5MvtYTOL._AC_SY606_.jpg.0efe6d163c2ee854c5b46f38504e9a4a.jpg1315608-38473-83-pristine.jpg.e4e9079cc071ea1408074086f9df8c79.jpg

Interesting concept and I agree that the figures are appealing. It sounds like the storyline is possibly from a video game or something. If it was a book or books I think it would enjoy getting and reading it/them. Sounds a little like the Mad Max series.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Looks good in that setting Jack 😄

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED