Contact Adhesive for second planking.

Go to solution Solved by Keithbrad80,

I will be attempting second layer of planking for the very first time and in Walnut 0.5mm x 4mm and wonder if anyone has tried this and if there are any draw backs. I have found a video of a guy doing exactly this and looks to have made a decent job of it. Let me know what you guys think. He also uses a similar procedure for his deck planks.He makes it look easy . However............. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past.

•  
Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Personally i would recommend a different method of planking. 

First, contact adhesive is used for things like shoes, its really rubbery and dries basically instantly, its not very good stuff for ship modeling. Second, generally when planking the goal is to lay the planks horizontal so they all line up evenly across the hull. This gives the model strength and so the only way to make everything fit is to taper them. If you notice in the video you posted he lays down a bunch of planks and fills them in? The end result in this video looks nice, but a lighter wood is going to show these flaws, on top of that if you have space like that and try to fill them in with other pieces you will never get as tight a fit as if you had just tapered them. His model looks very nice, but the method of tapering planks is an important skill when planking the next model, so learning it now would provide better results on your next build. 

What I would do, I would use PVA (white glue or wood glue) and hold the planks in place with my finger while they set, but first i would line the hull and get ready for planking the hull using tapered planks. I would figure out how much to taper them and place them one at a time until i am happy with the results. 

There are tons of resources on this site and books in print that you can read through to get a good understanding of planking the second layer of planks, which can make a huge difference in the over all look of the model. Good luck!

Bradley 

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

39 minutes ago, Keithbrad80 said:

Personally i would recommend a different method of planking. 

First, contact adhesive is used for things like shoes, its really rubbery and dries basically instantly, its not very good stuff for ship modeling. Second, generally when planking the goal is to lay the planks horizontal so they all line up evenly across the hull. This gives the model strength and so the only way to make everything fit is to taper them. If you notice in the video you posted he lays down a bunch of planks and fills them in? The end result in this video looks nice, but a lighter wood is going to show these flaws, on top of that if you have space like that and try to fill them in with other pieces you will never get as tight a fit as if you had just tapered them. His model looks very nice, but the method of tapering planks is an important skill when planking the next model, so learning it now would provide better results on your next build. 

What I would do, I would use PVA (white glue or wood glue) and hold the planks in place with my finger while they set, but first i would line the hull and get ready for planking the hull using tapered planks. I would figure out how much to taper them and place them one at a time until i am happy with the results. 

There are tons of resources on this site and books in print that you can read through to get a good understanding of planking the second layer of planks, which can make a huge difference in the over all look of the model. Good luck!

Bradley 

Bradley .Thanks for that reply and I thought there would be a few reasons why this method is not normally used. I have managed to carry out the first layer of planks by the method you use ie lining off the hull and tapering the planks, hopefully I will get similar results using exactly the same method on the second layer. In your experience would you also use the same glue on the deck planks? Best regards Dave 

Edited by DaveBaxt

• Solution
15 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

In your experience would you also use the same glue on the deck planks?

IMO you can (almost) never go wrong with PVA wood glue. Most people don’t like using CA but sometimes it’s a necessity, I use it some times when planking the decks but most of the time a little bit of wood glue and maybe a minute of finger pressure on that plank should do it, just enough for the glue to start to set. 

Bradley

Current Builds:

Flying Fish - Model Shipways - 1:96

Future Builds:

Young America 1853 - Scratch Build - 1:72

Completed Builds:

HMS Racehorse - Mantua - 1:47 (No pictures unfortunately)

Providence Whale Boat - Artesania Latina - 1:25 (Also no pictures)

Lowell Grand Banks Dory - Model Shipways - 1:24

Shelved Builds:

Pride of Baltimore 2 - Model Shipways - 1:64 (Also no pictures)

1 hour ago, Keithbrad80 said:

IMO you can (almost) never go wrong with PVA wood glue. Most people don’t like using CA but sometimes it’s a necessity, I use it some times when planking the decks but most of the time a little bit of wood glue and maybe a minute of finger pressure on that plank should do it, just enough for the glue to start to set. 

Bradley

Bradley .I will definately give the PVA glue a go. I used speed bond which is a PVA glue which drys clear I did find that if I use it sparingly it does start to hold quite quickly and wipes off if I over do it a bit. Thanks again for your advice.