Brand new to this hobby

CRob

Hi everyone I'm brand new to this hobby. I was browsing the internet and ran across a wooden kit of a Snipe and ordered it. My history is up until I was a teenager every Sunday we would go to the sailing club, on the lake, after church and sail with my step father in a regatta on board his Snipe. It reached a point it needed to be worked on (dry rot) and I tried my hand at it and failed. So this kit has special meaning to me.
  With that being said I'm wondering if I should start with an easier kit? Does anyone out there have experience with a Dumas, Snipe #1122?

I don't even know what type of glue to use.  Looking forward to hearing from someone. 

Signed
Extreme novist 

Current Builds:
Snipe by CRob -Dumas #1122- Small
Sailboat by CRob - Dumas #1007 - small

Welcome to the hobby and to MSW! I’m not familiar with that kit aside from a quick google search but it looks like a reasonable kit to start with. For the majority of the build you can use a wood glue from a hardware store (just remember that less is more when applying it). It’s be a great idea to start a build log so that you can ask questions and get help along the way. I look forward to seeing your build!

Edit: I found a build log here that you may want to take a read through (it looks like they did some upgrades to the kit): 

Edited by VTHokiEE

Welcome aboard! The kit doesn't look terribly complicated but no need to aim for perfection on your first try, it is a learning experience! Ask for advice at any time, most members are very willing to help. I am a relative newcomer here and have received tremendous encouragement and advice. I look forward to your progress. Cheers

38 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

Welcome to the hobby and to MSW! I’m not familiar with that kit aside from a quick google search but it looks like a reasonable kit to start with. For the majority of the build you can use a wood glue from a hardware store (just remember that less is more when applying it). It’s be a great idea to start a build log so that you can ask questions and get help along the way. I look forward to seeing your build!

Edit: I found a build log here that you may want to take a read through (it looks like they did some upgrades to the kit): 

Thank you all for the encouragement. I did order a how to build wooden models for beginners, and am hoping that helps. I totally read thru DRW's build and the thing that troubled me is in his post #3 where he was glad he didn't start with this one. This boat has sentimental value to me but I suppose I can build another one to match my step-father's snipe. 

Current Builds:

Looking at that comment it seems to be critical of the instructions. Take a read through the instructions and see if anything pops out as confusing, it might not initially but might as you get further into the build and ask questions about those steps. The comment could also be referencing die cut parts instead of master cut (but I think most Midwest kits are/were die cut as well).

CRob, welcome to MSW.  I strongly suggest you open a build log to for others to follow along.  Also, any questions that you can't find answers to, ask in the appropriate area here on MSW.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

4 hours ago, mtaylor said:

CRob, welcome to MSW.  I strongly suggest you open a build log to for others to follow along.  Also, any questions that you can't find answers to, ask in the appropriate area here on MSW.  

I have started a model log for the snipe Dumas "Snipe" and have already put it on hold (haven't  gotten the kit yet) and ordered Dumas beginner sail boat when I get that in I'll start a log on it. One other thing I forgot to mention is I've build a couple WW1 planes Balsa wood, tissue and dope construction.

Current Builds:

Welcome aboard and greetings from Massachusetts.

Always available to answer any questions.

May your projects go smoothly!

-Rich

Hi , I also new to this hobby . Due to the stay at home syndrome , decided to try and build a ship model . Just browsed the internet and came up with Vanguard HMS Flirt , which I have since completed . I am sure I made quite a few "errors"  , but managed to complete what I think is a passable replica .  I was not aware of this forum , and I see that there is a lot of good information here.  This hobby seems to be addictive , so I have since ordered HMS Beagle . And I see that there are quite a few HMS Beagle builds , so hopefully this time I will have a better build

That's a great job for a first build, congratulations and welcome to the addiction.  Oh, and welcome to MSW too.  :)

You should probably post your own introduction thread instead of hiding in someone elses!

Edited by GuntherMT