Hello from New York.

ausf

Hello all, thanks for opening the door to me.

I'm not a stranger to models, I started in 1970 and besides the normal hiatus from building while in college, etc. I've been active in the craft in some form or another all these years. Currently, I'm a sculptor but previously had a business that made model related tools. My business partner was an avid ship builder and built and sold ropewalks. 

My youngest son is in his second year at Webb, working on dual degrees in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. He had to do a report on design failures and being that we are Swedes, chose the Vasa. It seemed like the best time to get my feet wet and scratch the ship building itch I've had as long as I can remember.

I'm going easy at first, to learn the ropes (literally and figuratively), starting with the Airfix styrene kit. I plan on quite a bit of scratchbuilding, using my sculpting and resin casting experience to upgrade some of the kit's shortcomings and flesh out detail.

As usual, I have gathered a small library of ref material on it: copies of Architectura Navalis, Young Sea Officer's Sheet Anchor, Ship Model Builder's Asst as well as general Vasa books. 

I'm looking forward to drooling over your collective work as well as picking your brains as I go forward.

Jeff

Welcome to the site from a fellow New Yorker.  Sounds like an interesting project.

Welcome to MSW, Jeff.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jeff, :722972270:

You have just entered a fantastic world with the most brilliant builder and helper available.

Again, warm welcome, or we say in Sweden, Varmt Välkommen!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Welcome to MSW, Jeff!

That sounds like a very interesting project. I built the Airfix Vasa about 50 years ago; I don't know if the kit has changed since then, but certainly a lot has been discovered about the ship itself in the interim. There are several wooden builds of the Vasa on MSW - if you use the search function (top right of this page)  you should find them. Some are phenomenally good, and several incorporate a lot of the most up to date information on that beautiful ship, which may be of use to you.

I'd recommend you start a build log and share your experiences with the rest of us. It's also a great way to get help and advice from the friendly and experienced builders here. Though you'll be doing a fair bit of scratch work on this, it probably qualifies best as a kit build - but bashed to make it better; something quite a few members do. The instructions are here:

Good to have you with us.

Steven

19 hours ago, JJT said:

Welcome to Model Ship World Jeff :piratebo5:

Thanks Jeff.

By the way, I'm also a bass player and the album in your avatar was a big influence on that back in the late 70s. Well JPJ still today, was playing Ramble On and Good Times Bad Times last night as a matter of fact.

13 hours ago, Nirvana said:

Jeff, :722972270:

You have just entered a fantastic world with the most brilliant builder and helper available.

Again, warm welcome, or we say in Sweden, Varmt Välkommen!

Tack Per!

My son is trying to get an internship in Finland for the summer, if so, he plans on stopping in Sweden for visit and meet family. If you see a confused American with a Huginn and Muninn tattoo, say hi.  

7 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

Welcome to MSW, Jeff!

That sounds like a very interesting project. I built the Airfix Vasa about 50 years ago; I don't know if the kit has changed since then, but certainly a lot has been discovered about the ship itself in the interim. There are several wooden builds of the Vasa on MSW - if you use the search function (top right of this page)  you should find them. Some are phenomenally good, and several incorporate a lot of the most up to date information on that beautiful ship, which may be of use to you.

I'd recommend you start a build log and share your experiences with the rest of us. It's also a great way to get help and advice from the friendly and experienced builders here. Though you'll be doing a fair bit of scratch work on this, it probably qualifies best as a kit build - but bashed to make it better; something quite a few members do. The instructions are here:

Good to have you with us.

Steven

Thanks Steven!

The kit is the recent re re re release, it's the same old mold. After I started to amass the refs, I thought about just scrapping that and going wood, but I think it'll be a good test bed on rigging, etc. 

I certainly will start a thread, I'm all about sharing work and taking criticism and input. No ego here, I'd rather not reinvent the wheel when many of you could easily point out one of the many mistakes I'm about to make.

First up I'll be making the cannons, deadeyes and anything else that the kit lacks in detail. Not sure if you guys would be interested in the process of resin casting, but I'll document if you'd like.

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4 hours ago, ausf said:

Thanks David.

Is that a '68 Biscayne?

I used to restore '64 to '66 Impala SS'. My first car at 18 was a '69 with a 396 and 411 gearing for $200. 

1972 Chevelle Malibu, I’ve had it for 20 years now and have restored it as a novice.  10 footer for sure, but I did put a 5-speed in it 

21 minutes ago, Duanelaker said:

1972 Chevelle Malibu, I’ve had it for 20 years now and have restored it as a novice.  10 footer for sure, but I did put a 5-speed in it 

My first glance I thought Chevelle, but from the angle it looked late 60s  boxy and those Chevelles had a single taillight. 

I had my Holy Grail, a 66 Malibu ragtop, but the frame was cracked. I intended to do a rails up restoration but never had the money when I had the time and then when I had the money, I had no time. It sat in a garage for about 5 years until I parted it out. 

I bought it in NJ. When looking it over I saw welded plates on the drivers side frame all covered in undercoating. All of those frames rotted in the same spot, even the later ones, so I didn't think it was a big deal. When I was leaving the guy kept telling me to be careful, don't go too fast, claiming he was worried I'd get pulled over without registration/insurance, etc. But as I'm driving home, on the bridge it was handling weird and when I got it home, my buddy who drove me there said he saw the car flexing in the middle. Then I saw the break when I got it on a lift. My original plan was to drive it while working on it, but that put the cabash on it and made the resto way more than I intended.  

I actually still have the grill emblems and SS flags in the basement. 

Edited by ausf

8 hours ago, ausf said:

First up I'll be making the cannons, deadeyes and anything else that the kit lacks in detail. Not sure if you guys would be interested in the process of resin casting, but I'll document if you'd like.

Yes, definitely. That's a field I have absolutely no knowledge of whatever, and would like to know about.

Steven

On 1/23/2021 at 5:34 AM, ausf said:

Thanks Jeff.

By the way, I'm also a bass player and the album in your avatar was a big influence on that back in the late 70s. Well JPJ still today, was playing Ramble On and Good Times Bad Times last night as a matter of fact.

i play guitar 🤘

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

• 2 weeks later...