King of the Mississippi by Adrieke - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:80 - with LED lighting

Sjors I had a look at the temperature at your place. for me that sounds like perfect weather . we only think it shot here if its getting close to 40 :P

To hot for us Adriaan,

Upstairs in the hobby room it's about 38 degrees Celsius….to hot for modelling  :(  :(

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

#8 degrees C too hot?  Hmmm, I guess for yuns thick blooded Dutch people I can agree to that.  38 is the temp in my garage, aka the shipyard, and I'm loving it  :) .  What the heck am I talking about, I'm also a Dutch people but born and raised in the Dutch Colonies with thin blood, love the heat :dancetl6: 

Of course I have the doors open and a floor fan going full blast! Quit comfy I must say  :P 

The admiral shakes her head, how can you stand it here in this heat and slinks back inside the ac cooled house.

So far the temps on at the north east coast of the US has been relatively mild, so far, only 32 C but the humdeditty is way up there so it feels hotter then it is.

No prob for me though, a quick garden hose shower and I'm good to go  :), back to the garage and work some more on the models.

Happy modeling all y'all and cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I used to think over 30 unbearable but I have adapted living here in oz.

hottest ever I been in was January 06 around 47 degrees and bushfires all over. we had gone up the coast and couldn't get back home because all roads where closed.

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Same here, 30 is nice.  47 is kinda warm all right.  That reminds me of the days I had to witness an NDI inspection to the wing frame 55 on a DC-9 in Marana, AZ. in August.  It was about that in the shade!  For some crazy reason it didn't feel that hot.  Dry heat they say, my foot, it was hot.

Have fun,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I grew up in Nebraska where 37C is very common all summer long, and I thought that was hot. Then I moved to NW Kansas where 40C is the norm. Dry heat, humid heat, it doesn't matter, when it gets to triple digits it is just plain HOT!!!

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

its still cold here (down to 6 degrees at night)

tomorrow of to see the Doctor . hoping I wont need any further IV medication because I cant do much while that thing is in my hand.

at least my wife drove me out for a bit to catch some fresh air and to be away from here :)

good luck tomorrow......hope it's nothing serious ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Here's hoping that the Doc visit goes well... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

well they put me on another 7 days off IV antibiotics twice a day now and also have to take some oral ones :(

this morning they tried twice to get the thing back in but failed so had to go back to emergency to have it done. its in my right arm at the elbow so I am a little less restricted

glad to hear your getting some relief.......did they tell you what it is that is the problem?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Adriaan, Sorry to hear you are not yet back to 100%. Hopefully, this course of antibiotics will put an end to things.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hey Adriaan

It will all be good mate  :dancetl6: 

Antibiotics are brill

I have them sometimes and they always do me good  B) 

Take care and look after yourself  :cheers: 

Mick

Edited by Micklen32

<p><strong><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"><span style="font-size:18px;">Keep it up :10_1_10:</span></span><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;"> </span></strong></p>

<p><strong><span style="font-size:18px;font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Mick</span></strong></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;">Current Build --- Will Everard --- </span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3636-will-everard-by-micklen32-billing-boats-167/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Current Build --- Endeavour --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2804-hmb-endeavour-by-micklen32-occre-154/</a></span></p>

<p> </p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Guitar --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micksjem.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- Barcelona Taxi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-taxi.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- London Tram --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/'>http://micklen-tram.blogspot.co.uk/</a></span></p>

<p><span style="font-size:12px;">Completed --- OcCre Mississippi --- <a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/'>http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1803-spirit-of-mississippi-by-micklen32-occre-180-a-hopefully-accurate-rendition/</a></span>

thanks Randy, Popeye,Robbyn, Mick and Anja

I am going to see the dermatologist/immunologist this morning hoping he l have some answers to whats happening

Popeye it started with a fungal infection on one foot that spread to my other foot and lower leg. so far no medication has helped and one of them triggered an allergic reaction  that caused an itchy rash all over. just when I finished the medication and the rash seemed under control my lower leg swelled up. the doctor diagnosed as a sever case of cellulitis . that's what the antibiotics is for. but the fungal infection is still there too.

I am mostly alright just that I have to have my leg up most of the time or it will start to hurt. Also the itchy rash seems to be returning.

mostly I am bored watching TV or playing ps3 games and am dying to go back to work/building

hopefully I have some better news today

thanks for all the comments keeps my spirits up :)

HEY.............I can make you feel a bit better........I have something of the same thing on my left calf!  the doctor said it something of a fungal thing.......long rashy area down my calf......flaky and itches like crazy sometimes.  I got two big tubes of cream to put on it,  but I'm not one for medicine,  or being faithful in putting it on.........just do it when it gets itchy.   to top it off, I have reoccurring gout in my left ankle....doc didn't give me anything for it......don't even know if there is anything for it.....I just live with it.

sounds like your health care is pretty good over there...........ours sucks....in plain english....and it's going to get worse!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi Adriaan,

It seem that a lot of us seem to have an ailment or two, I myself have an itchy rash on my right leg and you don't want to get me started on my busy leg syndrome :angry: , I thought at first it was just a heat rash but it's not, it's caused by sawdust. I tend to rub the sawdust of my hand sander on my right thigh to clean out the surface and bingo. :(  :(

That sounds like I don't wear any trousers, but please be assured I do. :D

Hang in there mate, I'm sure all will be well.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Hello Adriaan, many, many good thoughts and best wishes are hovering over you,wanting you to get better,with the help of the Admiral,meds you will,patience is a virtue,will try to get you some from suppliers, :piratebo5: Edwin  (no scratching,got it).

WOW, Looks like the antibiotic (ABX) fairy isn't just a common visitor at my house.

IV ABX are typically used in very serious cases, I'm hoping this isn't anything chronic. Early on in my illness I had a PICC line, which for those that don't know is stuck in the upper inside of the arm into a vein, where a tube is wormed thru the vein so the ABX dumps just before the heart. I still can't belive they put it in while I was awake. UGH

I thought at first that was what you had, but if its in the hand or crux of the elbow it's most likely an IV catheter. Its normal for these to need replacing after a week or so as they are hard on the vein. That's why PICC lines are used for long term. I had mine 4 months. IV ABX's are typically followed by oral's so it sounds like things are headed in the right direction.

On a nautical note, while I was down myself, it looks like the KOM is coming along nicely. Great job with all the fiddly corner gingerbread and the stacks. Congrats on the lighting also. Magnificant work!

Keep your chin up, better days are ahead. Take it from a professional cripple/disabled builder. When your back you'll have a renewed vigor.

Plus you have lots of well wishers pulling for you.

hi Popeye. yes health care has been pretty good here. your leg does sound like what I have . mine was diagnosed as fungal but the dermatologist seems to think its bad blood circulation. the rash he thinks is from something I am in contact with on my hands as  its only place I can reach to scratch. which mostly means no building until he can determine what its is ( I hope not glue or wood as that would mean the end of building :( )

good news is that the iv treatment seems to be working as the swelling is slightly down and my leg is feeling better.

hi Mobsie sounds like I have a bit of that busy leg syndrome now and then.

hi Edwin only if you tie my hands down can I stop scratching but I am hoping the new creams I got will help

hi Keith good to hear from you mate :) I have what they call a cannula which they put in for 3 to 5 days and then they have to take it out and put it somewhere else. the picc line my wife called a long line (she is a nurse ) . yes I was going well with the kom but as mentioned above building is totally halted for me for quiet some time. in 3 weeks I need to go back to the dermatologist and hopefully most of the itchy errors will be better then so he can start on determining the cause.

anyway thanks for al the comments. even without building once I can move properly again I ll be more here to follow all your buildlogs :)

Ahoy Adrieke :D

Sorry to hear of your misadventure

I am glad to see you have an internet connection and can catch up on all the logs you follow. Perhaps even research your next build.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and looking forward seeing you back in action. Stay positive, cause we all know negativity solves nothing.  

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

I could see why they'd call it a long line. It was done in a sterile room but not an OR. They also had a scanner (similar to a c-arm) to check its placement when inserting the PICC line as it runs from the arm to just above the heart. Not one of my more fun experiences.

Cannula is another word used. Actually in the states a cath is typically for draining the bladder (not a fun experience). Tammy uses cannulas in the OR for orthoscopic surgery also. She's brought home some of the trocar's ( the thingy that punches the hole) which are great for punching holes in nearly anything. They make a great awl/punch. There is so much wasted stuff from the OR and tammy brings piles of stuff home which I use in the hobby. Today she brought home an 18g spinal needle. Its 3 1/2 inchs long. That might be handy for gluing way back in the KOM, like for on the shutters. I use to brush glue with a small paint brush but the syringes make gluing so much easier and precise.

It's tough being limited in your ablity to get around but rest is good for the healing process. Movie marathon time, but that gets old quick too. I hope this doesn't have anything to do with the building. Did it start when you started building, or worsened with the use of a particular substance? I remember you having CA issues, hopefully if it is building related its something you can quit using rather then something general like wood dust. Most importantly though, just get better.

Adriaan.. just curious... are you allergic to nuts?  AL uses a lot of walnut in their kits. Or it could be a reaction to one of the other woods....  Hope not, but if so, you'd just have to find another type of wood that looks like what you want.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks jpet. now that I feel some improvement I am feeling positive :)

Keith I was thinking of what things I started using when I got it but the specialist said it mostly is something you have been using a lot . I started building with wood about a year and a half ago so it might be the glue the paint or anything else. first worry is to get the rash/itch under control then try out what is causing it. it is looking like it could take awhile.

first thing now is to see that my lower leg gets back to normal so i can at least go back to work

Mark i doubt i am allergic to nuts as i have eaten plenty of then during my life. I just hope its nothing that will permanently prevent me from building in wood :huh:

Ok.. that's good.  So it's only on the leg and NOT the hands????  Makes it seem like whatever isn't be transferred that way. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

hi Mark

sorry I think I am confusing you :( honestly I am myself still confused

the rash is all over me except the places that are not reachable by hands (like my back) .

the only thing that makes sense is that one of the meds I was taken started this all off and made my skin ultra allergic and itchy so anything like scratching makes the rash come up and all that may have caused the cellulitis in my lower right leg. anyway at least that seems to be healing .