Saint Philippe 1693 by CRI-CRI - scale 1/72 - French warship from Lemineur monograph

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

Considering the high standard of workmanship that you are maintaining, I would suggest real wooden gratings.

I fully agree.  I have seen paper models that look great, but you are building an exceptionally outstanding model. Paper might not look right.

Bill

Just remember paper is cheap and easy to obtain.

You can always make some out of paper and if you don’t like them, you can always make wood ones.

If you look at my Victory build, I used paper gratings on a modified Mantua kit.

Your’s look a lot nicer than mine did.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Wooden gratings = 4 - 8 € a piece 50 x 50 mm, and the model shows a 50 cm length full line of these damned things

It's also very difficult to give a regular convexity about a so long line of gratings

I shall test my idea on the beakhead frame without gluing it, and the result will decide about following process

Notice that all windows of back quarter and quarter badges of my model are soon paper prints, and were also... painted on real ancient ships

I've any tool for wooden self-making such details, and no money for buy it, the products on line being most often in a very poor quality wood

Wait and see  😀

If you wouldn’t have told me that was paper, I’d have never even considered it was not wood. Wood, paper/card, 3D… everyone has their own take on “purity”. I like it. 👍(paper is a byproduct of wood, no)? 😀

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

It looks great!  Well done!

Both the wood and paper look great.  I couldn't tell which was which without reading the text.  I'd go with what you feel is best for you.  The carvings are great also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

11 hours ago, CRI-CRI said:

You can find here the announced test using paper prints :

2103924242_BasesH.jpg.d107764112a204a459300862b3568efe.jpg

1308368555_BasesJ.jpg.ac0fe346fdef2465c591a8191ece4b57.jpg

What do you think about ?

It's possible to transform it in a wooden version, but neither for the same price, nor the same working time 

I think that it looks great except that I am not looking at the difference in person.  But, the photos look fine.

Bill

Hi Bill,

The photos #348 you quoted were taken before rectification of colors (too much red component)

Those joined with message #351 are better, with exactly the same effect than real gratings of my HMS Prince (also 1 X 1 mm holes) :

657682922_BasesQ.jpg.81f397fbc8268cd3e386d58757892ed5.jpg

I shall finish and publish the final result this afternoon

Best regards,