Wappen Von Hamburg by ChrisLBren - Corel - 1/50

Hi Group,

I emptied out my storage unit today and found an old project - WPH - constructed between 2001-2005.  I hadn't laid my eyes on her since 2007.  On close inspection - she's not bad.  I was thinking of giving her away but now Im considering revisiting this build.  I've learned a ton since then - especially on my current scratch build of Confederacy.  

You can see i left planks off the deck to see below into the gun deck - the deck beams are simulated and not accurate - there would be at least 8 visible based on the actual plans.  So I can plank this over - which sort of screws up the but joint lines or leave as is.  This was my first crack at milling my own wood - I used holly here in place of the kit supplied wood.  

As far as the hull - thinking id sand off the wipe on poly on the lower hull (not my favorite finish) and either use tung oil or possibly paint the white stuff to the water line.  This would hide the planking at the bow - which does not follow the wales (this is a kit - and one where i glued the wales on after planking - which is not correct - but common in kit builds).

Inspired by some of the build logs of the Wasa Ive seen here - id love to possibly weather her (i believe ive seen some modelers use Bitumen with varnish to age wood) which could make the kit supplied walnut planking look pretty cool.  Id paint her topsides olive/hunter green, the bulwarks continue to be painted in a dark red/wine and all sculptures would be painted in life like colors (similar to the Wasa). 

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated - thanks for checking her out!

Chris

post-1070-0-03433000-1373058092_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-72689900-1373058118_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-91864900-1373058138_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-66532300-1373058153_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-27867400-1373058175_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-28415800-1373058191_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-38617800-1373058203_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

Thanks Brian - it was a bear to single plank her with those strips supplied in kit.  Working with Swiss Pear on my Confederacy was so much easier.  I really do have some sentimental attachment to the WVH and unearthed a bunch of research i did back in early 2000s.  Just wondering as to my approach moving forward.

Hooray! ... another WVH build......I've stepped the masts on my rendition of the Corel kit and begun the standing rigging. ...... would love to share my progress and get your thoughts.  (I suppose its time to reintroduce my log that was lost in the "Great Crash".

Looks like you're a seasoned veteran,... the ship looks terrific and begs to be fitted out......

\jp

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Hey Ponto - i admired you WVH - would be great to see her again.  David - I actually should throw in my abandoned Bob Hunt Fair American for a shot of all three models i still have !

Brian - i absolutely will paint the clinker green.  My approach on this one is to paint her as she appeared and possibly weathered.  The sculptures beg for it. I unearthed an airbrush and compressor in my storage unit - so i will paint the white stuff on the bottom of the hull. The wales will also get nails (need to figure out the scale on those).  At this scale - treenails could make sense on all visible planking as well.  I'm going to upgrade the blocks and rigging line with Chucks gear.  The wife doesn't know - but this one will get full rig and masting.  

Corel did a pretty good job with this one - its fairly accurate from the secondary sources i have.  Some of the pot metal fittings will need to be replaced with some carving where they dont fit my model snuggly.  

Im just stuck as to what to do with the area in the waist where i left off planking to show off the lower deck - the amount of beams are not accurate to the secondary sources and I didnt rig the guns below deck.  At the time it seemed like a good idea - but this model wasnt really designed for this approach. So if i leave as is - im going to need to fashion the upper decks like this.  

Its probably best to just plank over it - any input here is appreciated,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Your WVH looks great! This ship is on my wish list once my skill levels are up to a ship this complex. I would enjoy seeing your build log if you decide to revisit the build.

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Hooray! ... another WVH build......I've stepped the masts on my rendition of the Corel kit and begun the standing rigging. ...... would love to share my progress and get your thoughts.  (I suppose its time to reintroduce my log that was lost in the "Great Crash".

Looks like you're a seasoned veteran,... the ship looks terrific and begs to be fitted out......

\jp

Hi Ponto,

I hope you decide to re-post your build log. I enjoyed seeing your build when it was on-line.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Thanks Larry - just did a calculation to find out the true scale of this one - ive got a book by Wolfgang Quinger "Wappen Von Hamburg 1".  It states the keel is approx. 36.27 meters.  My hull is approx. 91 centimeters - so using a scale calculator -  1/40 scale not 1/50 that is stated on the Corel plans.  

Im not sure how to correct the title of this build log to reflect actual scale.

Edited by ChrisLBren

" - ive got a book by Wolfgang Quinger "Wappen Von Hamburg 1". 

Hi Chris,...I understand the book is in German (correct me if I'm wrong please)...do you consider it helpful with the kit build?...I should be able to pick one up on Amazon (but I loathe any purchase sight unseen)...so I'll have to rely on your recommendation.

JP

HI Ponto,

I actually have three sets of plans (the ones by Corel), Quingers from his book (it is in German) and Rolf Hoeckels which I believe came with his book Modellbau Von Schiffen des 16 ind 17 Jahrhunderts.  Corels most closely resemble Hoeckels plans.  

I can tell you Corel simplified based on these other sets of plans both in the hull and the rig.  If you can pick up either of these books cheaply - Id do it.

Thanks Larry - just did a calculation to find out the true scale of this one - ive got a book by Wolfgang Quinger "Wappen Von Hamburg 1".  It states the keel is approx. 36.27 meters.  My hull is approx. 91 centimeters - so using a scale calculator -  1/40 scale not 1/50 that is stated on the Corel plans.  

Im not sure how to correct the title of this build log to reflect actual scale.

Hi Chris,

I'm also not sure how to change the title, but I bet one of the moderator/admin people will see this conversation and offer to help.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi Chris. Very well done and I'm glad that you have decided to re-start building her. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Rusty - im enjoying your progress on the Cross Sections !

As far as WVH - I'm excited to be starting her again.  The thought of starting a new build from scratch is really daunting right now with the twins.  Much of the heavy lifting has been done on the WVH and Im getting closer to my game plan.   I want her to look as close to her actual appearance as possible which will involve a lot of painting/weathering.  Im going to experiment with Bitiumen (some of the Russian Modelers use this) to age wood and rigging and paint all of the sculptures in life like colors as well as paint the bottom of the hull with the "white stuff"  Im also going to use wire to simulate nailing on the wales that are pronounced on Dutch/German ships. Theres a lot to be "bashed" including scratching the head rails, carving of sculptures Corel omitted from the ship as well as some of Corels sculptures which dont fit my model.  I also need to figure out a way to simulate the windows that will look real (which by design are dummys in this model) Im also going to carve the figurehead.  And lastly she will be fully rigged - maybe even with sails.  Its large scale lends itself to a lot of detailing.  

I still havent decided what to do about the opening in the deck - thinking its probably best just to plank over it.  But before starting, I do want to reinstall my ships wheel on the Confederacy and finish those pesky binnacles.  Also id like to finish the head rails - which should help me when Im ready to build them on the WVH.  

Edited by ChrisLBren

Wow,...sounds like you have some ambitious plans for your WVH.  The scale of the kit will help with the details and I for one will follow along and watch the progress.

JP

Hey Group 

Doing more research on her this week - both my secondary plans show her to be between 24 and 25 inches long at a scale of 1/75.  The Corel model is 36 inches long - so the scale is actually 1/50 after all that is stated on the plans.  For some reason on the box and the Corel site its states 1/40. 

Hi Chris,

I have asked the scale problem to Corel ( info@corel-srl.it ).

Here is the answer:

"The right scale is 1/50.

Sorry, there is a mistake on the leaflet!!"

Very interesting situation... A product of a model manifacturer (modelling is based absolutely on the scale) is still being sold with a basic error...

I will probably give up building WVH in future. My current build is Berlin with 1/40 scale. One of the reason of choosing WVH was that the two ships have the same ratio ( this is my obsession but... )... :)

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Ferit,

You could easily scratch build her using Corels plans scaled up to 1/40 or the secondary ones Im using (Hoeckels or Quingers).  The other interesting question this brings up - both models share the same fittings - so which ones are at the correct scale ?  Im going to upgrade all of my blocks - but i should do a scale check the cannon barrels.  

Chris

Edited by ChrisLBren

Maybe at the 100% original size, the cannons, the figurehead etc of WVH are 10% bigger than Berlin's. :D 1/40 of Berlin matches 1/50 of WVH (?!)

To scale up to 1/40 is a solution but there will be a lot of carving problems, I am not a sculptor. :D That will be an endless and fruitless pain for me.

It could be better to overcome my obsession...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hi Ferit 

I dont think so - the WVH is SM28 and the Berlin is SM29.  They would not have made different size fittings/sculptures for these ships - I suspect they share them.  I wonder if Berlin is truly 1/40?  You dont have any secondary sources to compare the plans.  I will do some measurement on the cannons, fittings and sculptures and compare to my plans to see what their actual scale is.

Chris

• 2 years later...

This hull as is may become a decorative fixture (our interior designer for our new house loves it as is).  Keep in mind all of this wood work/shelves will be painted some shade of white soon -   Here's a model of how she should look like in a German museum.  I keep entertaining the idea of restarting this build at some point to try to get her as close as I can to this appearance.  

post-1070-0-90041000-1442585796_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-83269900-1442585888_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-59843300-1442586450_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisLBren

• 4 months later...

Guess who's back on my workbench ?  My old friend the Wappen Von Hamburg.  My three year old twins are fascinated by her (they think she looks like a pirate ship).  I managed to sand off the wipe on poly on the lower hull - seal the cracks in the planking with epoxy on my so so planking job (she will be painted off white anyway below the wales) and seal up the deck (from my sorry attempt to show simulated Hahn style deck openings back in 2002).  Ive attached some paint pigment guides from my earlier research - unlike my Confederacy - I want paint her to look as realistic for the period she existed in the 17th Century.  

The LGV in 1/36th is still waiting in the wings as is my Confederacy - Im getting back to into the hobby.   I'm finding working on a kit after a long breaks from modeling is relaxing and fun ! 

post-1070-0-86589900-1455314418_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-09995600-1455314462_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-26383400-1455314495_thumb.jpg

post-1070-0-81162400-1455314632_thumb.jpg

Great to see you have resurrected your WVH build Chris :) .The period paint chart is very interesting.I too will have a similar exercise in the future on Nuestra Senora and was thinking of which shade of red and green to use on the stern,this chart will be most helpful,thank you.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline