New spar-tapering tool from Bridge City Tools!

Bridge City Tools, the Tiffany's of tool companies, has a new tool that's perfect for spar-tapering, although it's actually designed for making chopsticks! 

https://bridgecitytools.com/products/csmv1-chopstick-master?variant=31915440046193

It's on sale right now, marked down from $339.00 $269.00! Such a deal!

They're serious. I don't think this is an April Fool's joke.

They do have a now-more-affordable modelmaker's plane with a clever and supposedly accurate thicknessing feature that's reduced from $169.00 to $98.00. I might be tempted to step up from my trusty old Stanley #100.

https://bridgecitytools.com/products/hp-8-mini-block-plane

Edited by Bob Cleek

I thought that was cool, too, but I probably would get more use out of a spar-tapering kit than a pencil-making kit. :D 

(Every so often, I visit Bridge City Tool's website, just for grins. It's hard to believe, but they've been in business for quite a while, so I guess people do buy their stuff. They don't seem to have much of a steady line of tools. Instead, they feature specific tools which seem to disappear after they stock is sold out, never to return. Maybe they are catering to the collector's market, or something.)

Edited by Bob Cleek

Beautiful tools, but I saw they are made in China.
Wonder how the planes are versus Lee Valley micro planes?

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

Beautiful tools, but I saw they are made in China.
Wonder how the planes are versus Lee Valley micro planes?

I don't think that their CNC manufacturing equipment can tell the difference between China and any place else, which leads me to wonder why they would suffer the indignity of a "Made in China" label when they probably could have made them just about anywhere for probably close to the same cost.  They'd have looked a lot classier if they said, "Made in Switzerland." Bridge City Tools isn't competing in the same market as Harbor Freight, for Pete's sake!  :D 

The Bridge City plane above is much more sophisticated in design than the wooden Lee Valley miniature planes. It has a 1" blade, or so. The Veritas metal miniature planes in Lee Valley's collection of "minature tools," while nicely made and very "cute," and they do work like the full-siize prototypes, they are, IMHO, of very limited value for useful work. They are more "collectible miniatures," as were once very popular, but, come on, how often does one have call for a shoulder plane with a quarter-inch blade?

Thread drift trivia: 

It's widely known that Walt Disney was an avid live steam railroad modeler, but not so widely known that he was also an avid hands-on modeler of all things himself and built one of the largest private collections of miniatures in the US, if not the world. Many of these were 1" or 1.5" to the foot tools, firearms, and the like. His idea for Disneyland, which he once called a "full-size miniature village," grew out of his hobby interest in miniatures. If anybody gets the chance, check out the Disney Family Museum at the Presidio in San Francisco, CA. A large selection of his miniature collection is on display there. The miniature tools are quite amazing.

https://www.waltdisney.org/blog/miniature-worlds-walt

Edited by Bob Cleek

Having all those nice photographs, videos and animations actually allow you to copy such tools for your own purposes - of course, if you have the right machinery and skills.

I think the Chinese are in a transition, as the Japanese were in the 1970s and the Germans in the 1880s, away from entering the markets in industrialised countries by catering for the cheap end towards making quality products. 'Made in Japan' or 'Made in Germany' once was meant to serve as a stigma and warning and now has turned into a mark of quality. The same will happen with 'Made in China' eventually.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

5 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

They do have a now-more-affordable modelmaker's plane with a clever and supposedly accurate thicknessing feature that's reduced from $169.00 to $98.00. I might be tempted to step up from my trusty old Stanley #100.

https://bridgecitytools.com/products/hp-8-mini-block-plane

I got the plane for precisely this reason. It's original price was too much but it was $89 when I ordered it. I'd seen it recommended and thought the price was reasonable for a quality plane.

I have only had time to briefly try it (I received it 2 weeks ago). It is very sharp out of the box and more importantly the blade adjustment is very precise. I have yet to try the thicknessing part. I will need to make a jig first since I'll need the wood at an angle. 

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

37 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Lee Valley Tools is also offering it through their website

I will take that as a vote of confidence 😀

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

20 minutes ago, RichardG said:

I will take that as a vote of confidence 😀

But Bridge City is offering it right now for $98 versus Lee Valley at $130. 

25 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

But Bridge City is offering it right now for $98 versus Lee Valley at $130. 

And if you want to spend even more money, Bridge City have an anniversary stainless steel/Titanium alloy version for $299. In a choice of 3 colors!

Richard

16 hours ago, RichardG said:

I got the plane for precisely this reason. 

I was interested at $98, but $16 shipping seems unreasonable..  I might have pulled the trigger for $10.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

On 3/2/2021 at 8:41 AM, Gregory said:

I was interested at $98, but $16 shipping seems unreasonable..  I might have pulled the trigger for $10.

Guess you live too far away!  It's showing $11 shipping for me.  😁