Atlantica by Wintergreen – Scale 1:30 - POF - sail training ketch - a smack of English heritage

Indeed, I have been following the TALLY-HO reconstruction. However, making templates and jigs in 1:1 a lot easier than for fiddly models.

Watch- and gun-makers use single-lip or D-bit drills for deep straight holes. Old-time well-builders with tree-trunks  also use hollow augers to drill straight holes along the trunks.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

2 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

if you haven't already, look up the Tally Ho rebuild on youtube. The documentation is superb

I have been following Leo's restoration/rebuild of the Tally Ho since day one and all the work has been amazing. Only the best materials have been used and the shipwrights and workers are extremely gifted. 

2 hours ago, wefalck said:

Old-time well-builders with tree-trunks  also use hollow augers to drill straight holes

Aha! I have marvelled over these in my shop. Spoon shaped drillbits? Really? I probably knew, back in my mind that they would work. Why else were they made?

But still, it defies rationality for the man of the 21st century.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

In an attempt to stay somewhat true to the original detailwise, I mused over how to fabricate the coppling between the rudder and rudderstock. Se the picture below.

RoderCropped.jpg.02b0964234e3d778bc29e59d43edba44.jpg

What I came up with I figure is an alternative way to make trucks for gun carriages. For those of us that do not own a precision lathe, that is.

How then? Well, I used my bung drillbit, then swapped it for a regular drillbit without moving the stock. Then parted it off with the bandsaw.

20240202_180906.jpg.e1d5bd6917d9434b96cea3a9cd56fb8f.jpg

20240202_185443.jpg.9dce1738ab92c9225d72189df8e4f54c.jpg

Apart from the coppling I also used it as bottom support for the rudder. 🙂 

20240202_185508.jpg.20f447232d8032186ef225bee59a54fd.jpg20240202_183733.jpg.00096fe7cdd11741e13b2934c5d56b15.jpg

This was all for today. Now that the rudder assembly is figured out I can turn my attention to the bitts for the bowsprit. That also includes the bowsprit itself. So back to the plans and software...

20240202_202232Bowsprit.jpg.843cc3b1462b94c7bda7fc5c643b6da0.jpg

Yes yes, the measurements are to scale and not real world dimensions. My reasoning behind that is so that I not necessarily need to print them out, but instead just can look at the drawing and fabricate the spar from that.

That's all for now, cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Well despte your cold you are making good progress. Working things out without having the right machine tool is very good for the soul. I pity all those people with lathes, mills and suchlike. Must take all the fun out of it.😉

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

32 minutes ago, FlyingFish said:

Well despte your cold you are making good progress. Working things out without having the right machine tool is very good for the soul. I pity all those people with lathes, mills and suchlike. Must take all the fun out of it.😉

And then there are people without bandsaw, who have to make do with their lathe ... ;)

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Oh, oh have we started a tool argument?! Bring it on!

"Precision lathes and mini mills and whatnot. All you need is a #11 scalpel. Thats it" 😄😄😄

But agreed, problem solving and thinking out-of-the-box is good for the soul and mind.

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thanks Mike!
To write it down helps the memory as well. Sometimes it feels like I'd forget my head everywhere if it wasn't attached properly to the neck 😛 

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

On 2/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, FlyingFish said:

I pity all those people with lathes, mills and suchlike. Must take all the fun out of it.😉

luddite  - Lathes and mills just introduce further layers of problem solving opportunities - and flanges can be made out of metal - like the real ones are.😀

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

10 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Lathes and mills just introduce further layers of problem solving opportunities

Which just brings us further down the rabbit hole... there is a healthy restriction to fabrication with a limited set of tools, power or not. Of course there is a monetary side to it also. It's a matter of prioritization... I will not reveal how much I've spent on my sailing vessel, but it could have with easy bought me the entire Proxxon Micromot line of tools. And I mean the Entire product catalog. 

But then I wouldn't be able to go sailing, which I love...

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

1 hour ago, Wintergreen said:

able to go sailing, which I love...

it would be nice to hear what sort of vessels you can & like to sail on, your part of the world has a rich maritime history

@Mark Pearse, yes, Sweden and the Baltic region is totally shattered with islands and skerries like no other part on the entire globe actually. It makes for quite stunning trips in the archipelago. The Admiral has a sailing friend in Florida, where they only have shallow sand beaches everywhere. To his complete horror we send him films when we sail only meters away from solid rock islands on both sides 😄 

My avatar picture is of a ship that sails in the Baltic sea, owned and maintained by a Christian organization. It has been a couple of years now since I last enlisted as first mate on it, but further back I was a regular for about 7 years. Fatigue through work and cancer did its best to take the fun of it for a while. As a first mate on it I was part in everything from sailing to finding the nearest power outlet and so on.

Primarily though it is my own sailboat I commandeer. Picture below. It is called OE36 after its constructor, Olle Enderlein. He studied at Sparksman&Stephens in NY and the OE36 is very similar to the more known Swan 36. The Swan is a bit more slender around the waist compared to the OE36. 36 is the length in feet. The first OE36 is from 1969 and mine is from 1980. The Swan predates that with a handful of years if my memory is somewhat accurate.

20200810.thumb.jpg.c76a30c6c0dbb1829c371eacf3bfb4ed.jpg13467651_10153443627116261_1862390967_o.thumb.jpg.6cf9d089e17a32568d0b2b35129c69f9.jpg

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Perfect family saling yacht, and how I miss Sweden and sailing. 

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks John, yes, it is the Admiral reading fore of the mast and the pretty little blond one is now 20 years old. Still pretty and blond, just older 😉 

She's our "baby" with six older siblings (different configurations of hole, half and step siblings, it's complicated 😄 )

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Thank you Håkan, that's a lovely yacht, & thee S & S dna is evident. I have been lucky enough to do a motor boat cruise through the Finnish SW archipelago, & we went as far as Åland (Avenamaa), so have some experience of the rocky aspect. It was slightly shocking that some rocks 1m or less deep can be unmarked.....but I suppose you get used to it. Avenamaa of course has historical ties to Australia, being the home of the last sailing trading ships between Europe & Australia, as late as the late 1940s, I think.

all the best & thank you for the minor detour

Tool rants and sailing discussions aside, I said I was about to do the rudder.

Did I?

Erhm, no.

After painting the hull a couple of times it didn't appeal to me to do the rudder (too simple). Instead I've opted for somethinge inherently much harder and more complicated - the coamings for all the deck openings! Truth be told, I have never done a fish tail corner in full size and now I attempt them in 1:30.. sane? No, not really. Buth then, amongst the kids I'm not known for being sane all the time 😄 

So far, so good I must say. Only about 19 or 23 more corners to do 🙂 

20240211_110640.jpg.67e1ed7bdbbfdccd237236344b14af68.jpg

20240211_110700.jpg.e4a14c9c9466228fa51c34e8dba3e48d.jpg

And here is my setup with tools to accomplish to work.

20240211_110732.jpg.c996f66495c5b912d5432eaaaeb26228.jpg

Now a brake to watch some cross country skiing.

Cheers!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

5 hours ago, Wintergreen said:

Instead I've opted for somethinge inherently much harder and more complicated - the coamings for all the deck openings!

On 2/2/2024 at 8:16 PM, FlyingFish said:

Working things out without having the right machine tool is very good for the soul

Nicely done Hakan. But of course it is much more difficult for those who only own a number 11 scalpel. Now if you only had a lathe you could spend months working out the best way of turning coamings. 😬

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Thanks @Jim Lad, I thought it'd be a nice Sunday challenge 😄

@KeithAug, well, I do in fact own a lathe (for wood), but how that is going to help me turning out coamings is beyond me 😛 Any tips?

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

1 hour ago, Wintergreen said:

but how that is going to help me turning out coamings is beyond me

Having done my silly post I did give it some thought. On the basis that a metal lathe is only a milling machine laying on its side then it of course possible to make the coaming. How you could do it on a wood lathe is a bit more challenging.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

I'm looking forward to the tutorial on turning square coamings! Presumably you use a dovetail bit and clamp the timber in the tool holder. We've been missing a trick here Haken! However from the photos, I;d say you are doing well without.

Andy

'You're gonna need a bigger boat!'

Completed Build: Orca from the film 'Jaws'.

Current Build: Sailing Trawler Vigilance BM76

15 hours ago, FlyingFish said:

Presumably you use a dovetail bit and clamp the timber in the tool holder.

In principle yes Andy. 

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

How is it possible that I've not visited this build until now!  So many ongoing builds here at MSW that one cannot read them all.  But over a few sessions I have read your log in its entirety, and I'm now caught up.  This build strikes me as not only an amazing boat model construction, but also I fine woodworking project.  Wonderful work Håkan!  

I was saddened to read of your health problems but happy to hear that it is now behind you.  As a cancer survivor myself I know the anxiety and uncertainty that accompanies that damn disease.  Cheers to your success and a bright future.

Great job on the planking (and everything else) - she is looking fantastic.

Will be following along.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Well thank you Gary @FriedClams 🙂 

I totally agree that it is not possible to follow everything here on MSW, there are just too many excellent builds going on all the time.

And yes, cancer can really give you mental ghosts to follow you along. But, being in my mid 50's I am focusing on living many years still! Cheers to you too and all the best!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Silly posts or not, it would of course be possible to do the tail piece using a lathe and controlled bed. It would take two clear passes with the dovetail bit. The pins, not so much because you get a rounded inner surface.

Anyway, I only have a wood lathe and no usable index table (and no dovetail bit of mini size) so hand tools it is.

The coaming came out pretty neat. Here it just sits in it place, not glued in. Two coats of water base matte lacquer applied to the sides. 

20240220_205011.jpg.91236b94bb5dafd3c392ed4c8df5c5b0.jpg

20240220_204941.jpg.fb191ca0a74637c8dce5b53637196c7a.jpg

And finally a perspective picture of the build. As usual with all the debris in the background 😄 

20240220_205057.jpg.89a8a6c4a3436eeb7852c9583c40c129.jpg

Pax et bonum!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery: