Vacuum (or Suction Pick-up Tool

Does anyone have any experience with a vacuum or suction pick-up tool?  I used one years ago when doing some electronics work.  I'm going to try using this model here (https://www.fdjtool.com/ho7001-pick-it-up-vac-tool-by-beadsmith.html) to install copper tiles.  Thoughts anyone?  Does anyone here already own one?

Will Ferris

Current Build:  HMS Victory 1:72 Caldercraft

Will; until I watched the video I didn't think this would work too well... but it does. Keep us posted on any results you get. Thank you for posting...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

912924560_suctionDevice.thumb.jpg.0bb81e7484ad364c0f67699797e7b8f8.jpgDSC_0113.thumb.JPG.121befce362d3396f8337073e18afc52.JPGWill 

I found the vacuum placement technique extremely useful for precise placement of copper tiles on my Caldercraft  Victory. I rigged up a device using parts obtained from Virtual Industries – Official Site of Virtual Industries (virtual-ii.com) connected to a salvaged hospital suction pump. I would recommend checking out Virtual Industries products . I think a key to success is having the right size suction cup and adequate suction to hold the tile in place.

As my arthritis gets worse I'm having difficulty bending over to pick up stuff I've dropped. A variation of this may help me. A long hose and a long tube/handle and my day would be a lot easier. Thanks.

Below are a couple of pick up devices I have had for many years.  The small one is the one I have used the most - simply squeeze the blue bulb place over the part to work with and squeeze again to release it.  Using the larger one is a matter of pushing down on the black button grab the part by releasing it and pushing it again to release the part.  It came with 2 or 3 other tips.  Both work great.

image.png.34ef12a63faa2cc14c1ca49f89cbeaca.png

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

The cheapest price I could find was here: https://www.micro-tools.com/products/mp  $5.95.  Much less than Micro Mark.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

Isn't it true that nobody sells anything for more than Micro-Mark?

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

23 hours ago, tlevine said:

The cheapest price I could find was here: https://www.micro-tools.com/products/mp  $5.95.  Much less than Micro Mark.

WOW! I just checked out their website. Micro-Tools has a lot of really useful tools and at really reasonable prices. I had never heard of them before. They've got in a single place all sorts of tools you'd have to search all over hell and back to try to find elsewhere and, it would appear, when you did find it elsewhere, you'd be paying more.

Thanks for the link!