HMS Pegasus 1776 by Mirabell61 - FINISHED - scale 1:64 - 16-gun sloop

good thing.......that could have caused more harm.  my best wishes to you and speedy recovery ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Today I could make a Little Progress, and started to put some profiled brass on to the bow eking rails, because I had no luck in Scratching or carving decors into it. I think I`ll do this with the main rails as well and then taper the front wooden portions a bit.

post-3445-0-39132600-1396376400_thumb.jpg

One Thing I never recocnized up to now was the tricky tackle of the guns, it requires quite some space to get all the blocks in Arrangement lengthwise. A Little model was made to do some Trials. This is only for checking dimensions

post-3445-0-68400800-1396377226_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-57063200-1396376388_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-29525800-1396376392_thumb.jpg

I still had some oak Planks 1 x 5 mm and used These for the inner bulwark. After Fixing These permanently the gunports had to be cut away.... I wish I had`nt taken oak, ist too brittle and started breaking in many places.

post-3445-0-68699900-1396376394_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-64390100-1396376397_thumb.jpg

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

looking good Nils.......it has that hewn look to it,  with the darker spotting in the wood.   a nice honey stain,  and that will make the grain pop!  it is too bad it's a wood that doesn't like to behave ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Nils - you really have a wonderful model coming together, she looks very nice indeed.  Its really inspirational to see what you have achieved without all the usual supplied kit parts.  You really have captured her lines and the copper plates look as good as any aftermarket item.  Looking forward to seeing more progress.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Bob, thanks for your good wishes...

I feel my trapped nerve Problem is getting better now day by day

Nigel, thank you for your words and for all the "likes", I see you had a look into my build log

Popeye, thank you, I unfortunately did`nt an explaination for "hewn look", but asume that you mean the surface structure of the oak ( shaped with ship carpenters axe ? )

Many thanks Jason,

I liked your comments, and hopefully I can give a bit more drive to it now, I`m realy lacking far behind others in the Moment

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Thank you B.E.

I remember in mind your comment on the dolphins you made at an earlier stage, thanks again, I shall scrap those Lifting devices when I do the regular guns and carriages. This Barrel is only and still the early Demonstrator one.

What is surprizing to me, is the required length of the gun moving pulleys, in scale 1/64 whereby I always thought I had lots of spsce on deck, now I have to fight for every mm in saving length, and I am using the 32mm Long Barrels (6 pounder)together with raghter short carriages. It will take some more experiencing with small and short-building blocks inclusive their fastening harnisses.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

Your gun tackles are looking good.

I marvel at the way you build your very own Pegasus. She may not have that precision down to the last 1/100 mm called ‘museum quality’ many of us try to achieve, but she will be a unique handcrafted masterpiece with a very special charisma.

After all that flattering, I hope you will allow one remark:

The breaching rope of your gun should rather be natural hemp instead of tarred. A rule of thumb another fellow told me is: If it moves, it’s natural.

Keep up the good work

Peter

Edited by flyer

Thank you Peter,

I was just searching the the web this afternoon for a suitable light tan Color "breaching rope". The black one used for the Little mock upwas the only I had at Hand in the moment, is good flexible and appr. 1mm Dia. I was looking for such one in natural hemp Color.

I had some luck today in finding a supplier for smaller blocks, this enabling a better looking pulley tackle from bulwark to carriage, am quite happy because I to date had the Feeling that they would not be produced in smaller and in the way I wanted them to be. It would have been easy to use the ones Chuck supplies, but the together with the fastening harness even the small blocks would build up too Long in line. If I had`nt built that mock up I would`nt have recognized that before.

I think you are right with the "lesser precision" but there Needs to be a compromize from my behalf, I trust I would not have the Patience and endurance to do all the Fitting and joining work in Wood like in all those fabulous 1:48 Swan Classes here in MSW

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

Well, are those highly precise models really accurate replicas?  The original ships at those times were built with the very simplest tools like broad axes, coarse saws and simple forges for the ironwork – they didn’t have any fancy mills or such things. If you look at the Vasa from a close distance, you almost see every stroke with the axe by the skilled carpenters. So, all the apparent imperfections on our models are actually just the imperfections on the original ship, shown in perfect scale.

At least that’s what I keep telling me. :unsure:;)

Keep up the good work

Peter

Edited by flyer

Well thats a good way to see it Peter,

shall bear this in mind and brings back my smile...

Cheers

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Build log part 22

beginning with the guns....

post-3445-0-63396900-1396812398_thumb.jpg

this was thie first mock up model for checking dimensions, breech rope to be exchanged against natural hemp Color, dolphins on Barrel to be left away

post-3445-0-14947100-1396812386_thumb.jpg

staining the carriages

post-3445-0-79329500-1396812387_thumb.jpg

breechrope eyelet, other block tackle eyelets, caps on barrel Pivot pin, wheels still in the pipe...

post-3445-0-16088100-1396812389_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-00644800-1396812391_thumb.jpg

post-3445-0-76055900-1396812392_thumb.jpg

here my jig for making the caps

post-3445-0-90577100-1396812394_thumb.jpg

use ordinary plumbers plyers for pressing the caps in shape

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

I love your jig for the capping squares Nils, very simple but I suspect very effective.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks Jason,

yes I trust it could`nt be simpler to get the capping squares in shape, and I did`nt have any scrap by now.

I know that the capping squares should be removeable, openable, but I am just happy that the brass Pins (0,5mm diam. that secure them are Holding well in the carriage cheeks.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

that's a bit of detail that is very rarely seen.........that is,  unless you wish to portray a gun dismantled on the deck.   while this might be better suited for a diorama,  most are rigged and lashed to the deck,  ready to fire ;)

imagine what would go into a diorama like this........a winch & pulley just to lift the cannon from the carriage,  and the crew doing the work.

it would be pretty cool to see :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I agree Popeye, good idea,

the gun Lifting / changing Detail would be for an action-type Diorama. It could be inspiring for the diorama builders here on MSW.

Nils

wheels attached now, I think I should`nt put more to it...

post-3445-0-52863800-1396944539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

even brass encasing the wheels.........very nice Nils!   the caps look great......one sweet looking cannon.   now for the others........how many was that?  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I`ve been busy this afternoon Popeye,

those guns are so small and there are first 3 finished out of 14 in total to be built..., but I trust the production is well repeatable by now

Nils

post-3445-0-23842000-1396975371_thumb.jpg

fits easy on 1/2 a thumb

post-3445-0-26948300-1396975374_thumb.jpg

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Richard

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Mark,

when I first saw this MSW Forum I was realy rocked, there suddenly were so many stunning builds of 18th century and earlier ships and I thought that all would be a number too high for me. So many artists at work... and even in scale 1:48.

So this now is my first wooden historic ship and I have chosen the Pegasus because I fell in love with the lines and the hopefully not too complicated Fitting out and rigging. As I have only the Amati plan, all is scratch built, and there is much room for individual own Features.

The scale is a Little small, but on the other side the required space for Setting it up for display in ist Display-glass case afterwards is just right

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Hallo Nils

Those are absolutely stunning looking guns! Please forget everything somebody may have said about museum quality being a goal almost out of reach.

Nevertheless, if you allow, I would like to pass on a remark I received from one of the old salts at the administration about guns wheels: It seems that the wheels of the ships guns were left in wood and no iron hoop was covering the bearing surface. The hoop would only tear up the deck while wood on wood would run ok. Those iron hoops were mainly put on onto field guns wheels, where protection on rough ground was essential.

Sorry for nagging again. On the other side it could simplify your work.

Cheers

Peter

Nils,  I am right with you in all you say.  I tell people my aim is better than folk art (no slam against folk art) but primarily it is Krug quality.  A site very much like this (over 10 years ago) had me stretch and decide I could undertake the Druid and I love adding all the individual features.  I also enjoy showing my kids that I am interacting with people all over the world (such as Germany).  Rigging is a stretch for another build (hah hah).  You find a subject that gives the motivation to keep at it.  Pegasus is a wonderful ship and you are doing it more than justice.

Stay building, my friend.

Mark

Hallo Nils

Those are absolutely stunning looking guns! Please forget everything somebody may have said about museum quality being a goal almost out of reach.

Nevertheless, if you allow, I would like to pass on a remark I received from one of the old salts at the administration about guns wheels: It seems that the wheels of the ships guns were left in wood and no iron hoop was covering the bearing surface. The hoop would only tear up the deck while wood on wood would run ok. Those iron hoops were mainly put on onto field guns wheels, where protection on rough ground was essential.

Sorry for nagging again. On the other side it could simplify your work.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

sounds Logical what you say about Wood wheels on Wooden deck, but taking in account the wrong historic Approach here, I find it Looks better with hoops in brass contrust, the wheels would otherwise look quite boring..

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Nils,  I am right with you in all you say.  I tell people my aim is better than folk art (no slam against folk art) but primarily it is Krug quality.  A site very much like this (over 10 years ago) had me stretch and decide I could undertake the Druid and I love adding all the individual features.  I also enjoy showing my kids that I am interacting with people all over the world (such as Germany).  Rigging is a stretch for another build (hah hah).  You find a subject that gives the motivation to keep at it.  Pegasus is a wonderful ship and you are doing it more than justice.

Stay building, my friend.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

nice words, yes it is wonderfull to be in contact with world wide modelers, and to get the Impression what challenging project others are doing....

For me also it is a nice exercise (please excuse grammer and spelling)to communicate now and then in english language after I have retired from business

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

Thank you Nigel,

I am glad the guns worked out quite well for the scale size, allthough I learned now that the hoops (makes sense) will be scratching the decks, but that would be my individual note....

I thought about chemical blackening hoops and gunbarrels for many times, but I find the brass contrust to the carriages in cherry- stained color tells you they are not of resin or of plastic.

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed