Flower-Class Corvette by king derelict - FINISHED - Bensworx Virtual Kit - 1/48 - a log for the less gifted

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Fantastic model, Alan. I am glad you followed my crazy recipes and insanity for large models 😁

I really like your case as it gives the model a very professional/museum like appearance.

Yves

Thank you Yves

The learning curve with the 3D printer was steeper than I expected but it was worth it. I'm grateful for you leading the way. I can see another 3D print ship in my future.

The case came out at 55 inches long. There are only two places in the house where it can be displayed and the other is on the top of bookcases (which is a logistical challenge on its own) The current spot does allow it to be viewed and makes me happy when I look at it.

What do we do with our models? My display space is rapidly running out.

Thanks again

Alan

22 minutes ago, king derelict said:

What do we do with our models? My display space is rapidly running out.

Thanks again

Alan

I ponder the same question....

If I had the money and knew some motivated people, I would open a small museum called the 1/48th Scale museum or the "1/4" to the Foot" Museum. I wish I could display the large collection of brass and plastic trains I have, planes and ships and invite other modelers to join in. I see a need to educate young people and give them the knowledge and interest to build things with their hands. 

Where I live (Raleigh, NC), there is absolutely nothing of that nature and this city (town would be more appropriate) is a cultural abyss when it comes to this kind of things. I still have to find a club where enthusiasts meet and discuss their passion. I am not even envisioning a public display....

Anyway, it remains a dream.

Yves

A really impressive build of an equally impressive subject.  Great job Alan!  I learned a lot reading your log, thanks for sharing your journey!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

1 hour ago, yvesvidal said:

Back in 1979 we had almost the same situation here in our area north of Seattle. Back then we had a few hobby shops but little else to support the model boat fans. There was a relatively small club of primarily static ship builders that met monthly in Seattle but little else that we knew about. 

I happened to run into another RC boater while running my boat one weekend and we decided to hold a regatta for RC boats on our local pond. We posted flyers in all of the local hobby shops but on the day of the event still had no idea how many would show up. It ended up raining that day as well, but we still had over twenty five boaters show up that we didn't even know existed! That event lead to the eventual establishment of the Northwest RC Ship Modelers that still has about 80 members and has meetings and events every month, and even more on some months.

This all started with only two guys who happened to meet on a local pond with little more than a common interest.  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

A really impressive build of an equally impressive subject.  Great job Alan!  I learned a lot reading your log, thanks for sharing your journey!

Thanks a lot Mike. I have appreciated all the support and kind comments on the road to the final result. It is as near scratch building as I think I will get.

I now have HMS Zinnia and Petunia in 1/350 to build when I next need a Flower fix

Alan

3 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

I ponder the same question....

If I had the money and knew some motivated people, I would open a small museum called the 1/48th Scale museum or the "1/4" to the Foot" Museum. I wish I could display the large collection of brass and plastic trains I have, planes and ships and invite other modelers to join in. I see a need to educate young people and give them the knowledge and interest to build things with their hands. 

Where I live (Raleigh, NC), there is absolutely nothing of that nature and this city (town would be more appropriate) is a cultural abyss when it comes to this kind of things. I still have to find a club where enthusiasts meet and discuss their passion. I am not even envisioning a public display....

Yves

So far I have only found a few railway enthusiasts on this rather quiet [art of the east coast. Its a great place to live but limited in access to things that might be found in larger communities.

With the growing collection of models, aviation memorabilia and other souvenirs of life the house is beginning to resemble a badly organised small town museum.

Alan

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Back in 1979 we had almost the same situation here in our area north of Seattle. Back then we had a few hobby shops but little else to support the model boat fans. There was a relatively small club of primarily static ship builders that met monthly in Seattle but little else that we knew about. 

I happened to run into another RC boater while running my boat one weekend and we decided to hold a regatta for RC boats on our local pond. We posted flyers in all of the local hobby shops but on the day of the event still had no idea how many would show up. It ended up raining that day as well, but we still had over twenty five boaters show up that we didn't even know existed! That event lead to the eventual establishment of the Northwest RC Ship Modelers that still has about 80 members and has meetings and events every month, and even more on some months.

This all started with only two guys who happened to meet on a local pond with little more than a common interest.  

Lou

Thats great. I guess the moral is to get out there and advertise. Given the number of retirees locally at least a few must be putting models together. They can't all be drinking the free coffee at McDonalds.
Alan

What to do with a model collection?  Take some photos and go visit the local library.  They might take one or two or more even.  Also some "fraternal" organizations and veteran groups hat have a meeting hall might be interested.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Alan, I really wouldn’t have believed this is mostly printed on a filament printer if I hadn’t seen it grow through the log. I’m mighty impressed with e end result and my interest in buying an e-kit, rather than doing all the 3D work myself, is piqued. So I’ll be very interested to see what you make next.

Current builds:

1) HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller)

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/23247-hms-victory-by-kevin-the-lubber-heller-1100-plastic-with-3d-printed-additions/

2) Bluenose II 1:100 (Billing) - paused, not in the mood

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30694-billing-bluenose-ii-1100-no600-by-kevin-the-lubber/

3) Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/30964-cutty-sark-by-kevin-the-lubber-revell-196

Stash:

Revell Cutty Sark 1/96 (a spare for later)

Revell Beagle 1/96 (unlikely to ever get built!)

Revell Kearsage 1/96 (can't wait to get started on this)

Revell Constitution 1/96

If at first you don't succeed, buy some more tools.