HUGE card model gallery -- eye candy galore!

ccoyle

Yesterday I stumbled across a card model site that is new to me, called Kartonowki. As the name suggests, it's a Polish site, and there is no option for viewing it in English (unless your web browser can do so). I have always said that the Poles must have a gene that makes them natural-born card model masters, and this site's gallery (nearly 5000 entries) supports my theory. Check it out if you have time -- you'll be amazed!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Thanks for sharing!

I've never done a card model yet (although I have a small tug boat lying around in the attic which is to be built one day). The models are amazingly detailed and one would not believe that the material is card instead of wood or plastic.

It is a very interesting gallery, indeed. Would be interesting to know if the sheets of the models -or some of them- could be purchased somewhere.

Maybe I should take a closer look at my tug and not only to Alert...

Take care!
Uwe

12 minutes ago, Oboship said:

Would be interesting to know if the sheets of the models -or some of them- could be purchased somewhere.

I buy most of my models direct from the publishers in Poland, with the exception of HMV kits which I can purchase here in the US through Amazon (or through this website). I have purchased through WAK, Orlik, and Halinski, all without any problems.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I had to bookmark that site.  Google Chrome will do a translate in place and it always asks first.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 6 months later...

I tried paper modeling but am having a problem that is causing me fits. I rescaled the German battlecruiser Goeben by JSC down to 1/350 and am trying to fold the secondary armament sponsons. Try as I might, they are fighting my efforts.  Oh well . . .

That said, if you are interested in paper modeling, I recommend www.papermodelers.com.  That site features paper models of all genres.  Many of the models are among the best I have ever seen.

Bill

Insane! All those started from flat stock? I’m showing my card modeling ignorance, but do the kits come with objects that are already built to scale like pilots or wheels or guns?

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

1 hour ago, Dave_E said:

do the kits come with objects that are already built to scale like pilots or wheels or guns?

No, but many times such things are available as after-market accessories. But, just as with plastic models, the cost of accessories can really add up, which partly negates one of the basic appeals of card models, namely their low price relative to kits in other media.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I've been modeling for most of my life and have pretty much been there, done that on just about every expensive medium that you can think of including several 1/4 scale RC builds.  But lately I've been focused on the more obscure ends of the modeling hobby and this whole card/paper modeling world has me hooked.  I've built a couple of structures for my HO switching yard railroad from card, and couldn't believe the detail that I could produce using paper instead of wood, plastic, etc.

Sites like this as well as papermodelrs.com and many European sites have been fueling my fascination, so thanks to all who have contributed.  I've scratch built a number of RC airplanes from doing my own drawings through contest winning subjects, but I will most likely never be able to get to the level of talent seen on these sites, and definitely not to Doris's level.  But trying to get there is what it's all about!

Dion

current dry dock USS Arizona

• 2 months later...

I wonder how far back using paper to make models goes. I suppose it could be from the time paper was invented. Would many of the architectural models have been made from card or paper in, say, the 16th Century?

I used to make boats from folded paper to float on ponds in the 50s, after my father showed me how to do it. There would also be a variety of designs for such in comics and boys' books. However, I admit these were not based on any particular boat, so I don't think those would enter into the category of 'models'.

Tony

22 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

I wonder how far back using paper to make models goes. I suppose it could be from the time paper was invented. Would many of the architectural models have been made from card or paper in, say, the 16th Century?

Tony

The oldest known paper model dates from the first half of the 16th century and is a sundial in the shape of a crucifix, designed by Georg Hartmann.

https://eo.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Hartmann

On the bench : Revell's Calypso

@dancooper: Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Note that the link doesn't make it clear that the crucifix sundial is made of paper and based on the accompanying woodcut. All the same, I did a search and it is correctly described elsewhere on the web, e.g. at Paper modellers . I also read about his life which is found on the English Wikipedia, in case others are also interested.

Tony