Leopold German railway gun by Popeye the Sailor - 1:72

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'll smarten up one of these days.....

haha

I think the same,   but no result yet 😂

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Great looking colors man - love it.  And I wish I kept a log of how much time I've spent trying to revitalize paints in various manners... hehe

hi all......just your resident spook,  in for a visit.....He...He....   we're getting closer to the holidays......the feeling of the red face rush is beginning to swell.  you know........when you really begin to feel like there is just not enough time in the day to get everything done....  too much to tell here....

I have a couple of side projects that took a dramatic turn........I ordered the six cylinder engines for the '59 & '60 chevys.  I showed the admiral again,  just browsing through some of the past thing of this year..........and I was told that I was told to order them a while ago.  say what!?!?!?!   I guess I don't have enough brain cells to recall such things :wacko:  so,  to quell any further negative discussion {and while the gett'in was good}.....I did so.  nothing real special about the project,  except that they were the cars my parents owned when I was a kid.  the other involves the Ghostbuster duo I've been tinkering with since 2016.  it only amounts to a couple of times,  considering the amount of other projects I have ongoing.  I was going to the Ecto 1 from the first movie,  and the Ecto 1A from the second movie.......but the direction has changed due to a desire to hone my butchering skills.  the initial attempt has been pretty good.......more on this soon.

it's the same 'ole story Patrick.......the thing where you know it didn't work the first time,  but the subliminal didn't get the memo ;)   like water on a dry sponge......it'll sink in sooner or later......

Hi Bug........I wish I did too.....I have enough of it  :D   I'm just glad that it's still good.......I'm really liking this paint,  although it's not the White ensign....it's the Humbrol paint that I'm working with at the moment......the dunkel gray is the White Ensign.  it's just that the paint has sat for so long.  the Billing paint was an ordeal too.......but it was easy to tell if it was bad or good.

I had the chance to do a little this morning......I had already given the deck and body of the gondola a shot of the brown yellow.

251947827_1.jpg.60a5d88ed11eabccae9373a8989a6346.jpg

I have to divide this into three sections.........the front deck,  the gun's anchor brackets,  and the rear deck.  it needs a second coat,  which I did this morning.

1067225590_2.jpg.110a54ab28cb58b68e7130945541885e.jpg

the inner surfaces wont be seen once the internal part and the decks are in place,  so I wasn't too fussy about masking.  the underside was masked because it was painted in the dunkel gray.  the trucks got their second coat and have had plenty of time to dry.  a side view of the trucks give you a good example of what I mean about shadowing.   it's a nice contrast 

383558602_3.jpg.075ee624925517aa4658fcbe4db77704.jpg

this last picture stems from an idea I got the other day at work {of all places}.  I was thinking of ways to paint the contact points of the truck wheels,  where they meet the rails.  a paint brush would have likely proved messy.......a lot of touch ups.  I recalled having a metallic silver marker pen.  I do have to wipe the tip off due to a combination of the tip getting dirty {from the paint} and from drying out,  but it seems to be working out.  it doesn't have much of a shine as it goes over the flat black.  so far,  there are only a couple of touch ups

1953536178_4.jpg.3e5252cf6df46768d79281f168a8edb3.jpg

it doesn't need to be consistent......some ghosting from the flat black looks to be a nice touch :)   I'm going to try and do some more........

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good work there Denis   - good to see you back at the bench  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

hey bud!........thanks :)   it has a short life span though........my son called.......want to go Christmas shopping with me.  we do it every year........share a few laughs........hard to believe the silly things we see ;)   I'm trying to hang here for a while.......but I feel like taffy.....I want to work on it,  but I want to see all you gents too.  

oh...oh..........I opened a bag of gourmet caramel popcorn..........and I'm beginning to feel all peckish and giddy :wacko:  .....a sugar high!!! 😵 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

No doubt in my mind, Denis. High sugar content does that to some of us. 😁

I just figured you had been captured by the Christmas elves and were incommunicado until after the Day. Nice work on Leopold, sir.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

10 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

for the '59 & '60 chevys

Wait… wut?   How did I not know about these?   What are they?  I’ve got a ‘67 Camaro in the garage that would love to meet some kin!

hello all.......the count down for the big day has commenced!  I've taken tomorrow off for some last minute stuff.  one of my inflatables ended up in the garage.......a giant snowman.  I guess he decided to do the 'Frosty',  and took off down the street after breaking free of his tethers.  guess he forgot that the electrical supply was what kept him aloft :D   we got our first snow......not what everyone was expecting........all it did really was make the roads really slippery.  all is well here though.

the elves wouldn't want me Ken.........they'd find my lust for elven chocolate disgusting :D 

I haven't said much about them Bug........my parent's cars each had six cylinder engines and the kit supplied V8's.  I found the engines at a place in Australia.......they are on route here.  my mother had the 1959,  and my dad had the 1960 - both were Chevy Bel air models.  the big joke here,  was that my day told my mother,  moving to the small town of Weare N.H.,  she would have to learn how to drive.  dad was sort of brutish in telling her, which made her angry.   she learned,  and when she got the '59,  she nicknamed it "Agnes",  after his mother!  the '60 has a story as well.......and I'll tell that one when I start the log.  I've already done a few thing,  picking at them here and there.  they are a pair of Revell / Monogram kits.....one small quirk,  but decent kits.  you'll see them soon ;) 

as usual,  I did come up with a wish list this year.  not too big,  since my stash has grown from the last couple of years.  mainly,  just things that tie to other projects.......this one being one of them.  really crossing my fingers on this particular wish.........

I did do a bit more on Leopold.  I also noticed another kit has appeared on the old model kit site.......I haven't done any research,  but Hasegawa had another 1:72 kit of this rail gun,  by the name 'Anzio Annie'.   it's got the same box art,  in which the name Leopold can be seen.  so tempted to order it.

the Scripto marker did a great job on the wheels.  I will use it on the tracks for the display base later on.......the silver is not shiny,  due to the combination of the flat black and likely the fact that it is a marker {not a paint marker}.

1397685515_1.jpg.52ee2cdccbfc23ac62580af43ffe5921.jpg

very little touch up needed to be done on them.  the deck of the front truck was dry fitted in place.......trying to get an idea on the camo for it.

1663823434_2.jpg.6cf14b9f1eac23e99c41ce79b3494441.jpg

the wheels were installed on the trucks........hasn't happened to me before,  but one of the pictures wouldn't upload.   here is a shot of the rear truck

1815974301_4.jpg.c4c807d568bd1e3c6bc384123ae52037.jpg

sections of the truck decks are to be painted a wood brown.

1199042911_5.jpg.4dc43afd3b069b0a00a61d7f8461cb15.jpg

the munition shed was painted......needs another coat or so,  but I added a few more parts

1700837434_6.jpg.fb7c08da0eb2671eed3b5034671d6af8.jpg

25826839_7.jpg.d8e65f26a9f36a2d95a239cf4986cf8a.jpg

I put the trucks on the display base to give you an idea of how they will look :) 

2089578806_8.jpg.5968ac46f4a839dcad2792c846c6ef6c.jpg

the gondola deck part got a second coat........other parts were painted as well.     not sure if I can make any more progress till after Christmas.   if I do,  I'll be sure to post it ;) 

if I don't see yuns..........have the merriest of the Holiday season!   Merry Christmas! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

hello all.......the count down for the big day has commenced!  I've taken tomorrow off for some last minute stuff.  one of my inflatables ended up in the garage.......a giant snowman.  I guess he decided to do the 'Frosty',  and took off down the street after breaking free of his tethers.  guess he forgot that the electrical supply was what kept him aloft :D   we got our first snow......not what everyone was expecting........all it did really was make the roads really slippery.  all is well here though.

the elves wouldn't want me Ken.........they'd find my lust for elven chocolate disgusting :D 

I haven't said much about them Bug........my parent's cars each had six cylinder engines and the kit supplied V8's.  I found the engines at a place in Australia.......they are on route here.  my mother had the 1959,  and my dad had the 1960 - both were Chevy Bel air models.  the big joke here,  was that my day told my mother,  moving to the small town of Weare N.H.,  she would have to learn how to drive.  dad was sort of brutish in telling her, which made her angry.   she learned,  and when she got the '59,  she nicknamed it "Agnes",  after his mother!  the '60 has a story as well.......and I'll tell that one when I start the log.  I've already done a few thing,  picking at them here and there.  they are a pair of Revell / Monogram kits.....one small quirk,  but decent kits.  you'll see them soon ;) 

as usual,  I did come up with a wish list this year.  not too big,  since my stash has grown from the last couple of years.  mainly,  just things that tie to other projects.......this one being one of them.  really crossing my fingers on this particular wish.........

I did do a bit more on Leopold.  I also noticed another kit has appeared on the old model kit site.......I haven't done any research,  but Hasegawa had another 1:72 kit of this rail gun,  by the name 'Anzio Annie'.   it's got the same box art,  in which the name Leopold can be seen.  so tempted to order it.

the Scripto marker did a great job on the wheels.  I will use it on the tracks for the display base later on.......the silver is not shiny,  due to the combination of the flat black and likely the fact that it is a marker {not a paint marker}.

1397685515_1.jpg.52ee2cdccbfc23ac62580af43ffe5921.jpg

very little touch up needed to be done on them.  the deck of the front truck was dry fitted in place.......trying to get an idea on the camo for it.

1663823434_2.jpg.6cf14b9f1eac23e99c41ce79b3494441.jpg

the wheels were installed on the trucks........hasn't happened to me before,  but one of the pictures wouldn't upload.   here is a shot of the rear truck

1815974301_4.jpg.c4c807d568bd1e3c6bc384123ae52037.jpg

sections of the truck decks are to be painted a wood brown.

1199042911_5.jpg.4dc43afd3b069b0a00a61d7f8461cb15.jpg

the munition shed was painted......needs another coat or so,  but I added a few more parts

1700837434_6.jpg.fb7c08da0eb2671eed3b5034671d6af8.jpg

25826839_7.jpg.d8e65f26a9f36a2d95a239cf4986cf8a.jpg

I put the trucks on the display base to give you an idea of how they will look :) 

2089578806_8.jpg.5968ac46f4a839dcad2792c846c6ef6c.jpg

the gondola deck part got a second coat........other parts were painted as well.     not sure if I can make any more progress till after Christmas.   if I do,  I'll be sure to post it ;) 

if I don't see yuns..........have the merriest of the Holiday season!   Merry Christmas! :) 

All the very very best Denis to you and  yours, have  a great time over the holiday.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Merry Christmas to you and the Admiral as well Denis.

Are you going to keep Frosty in detention for the rest of the year or give him clemency? Or at least let him out on his own recognisance!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Love these old school paint combinations!

Leopold is progressing nicely, Denis.You have that chocolate problem, too? It's a real burden. 🙄

merry Christmas to you and yours and have a Happy New Year.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

resident junkfood junkie.........at your service!   the admiral has cautioned me about continuing after I retire:ph34r:

it's the box for'em...........the big day is almost here and besides,  his brother is doing the job quite nicely on his own ;)   it startled the neighbors when they saw two ten foot snowmen out there this year.  usually,  I fasten the base to a large plywood square.......I put the second one out {new in the box}, and one the legs for the base broke!  I folded another one of the legs out and it came off in my hand.........two others broke because it shifted on me!  so I just tethered him up and he stood out there on his own just fine.  I tried,  but I can't get those parts,  unless I want to buy the complete set of innards,  for about the price of a new one.  so I'm going to come up with a base to attach them {him especially} to........either that or make up a set of legs for the base,  which is nothing more than the main blower.  

I forgot to report this,  but last week Sunshine decided to take flight.  I was doing something and I nicked him with my arm.  he hit the floor,  but surprisingly,  only received minor damage.  I'm almost done with his repairs,  and he should be back on the shelf in no time :)   tomorrow,  I'm off to get my booster shot.......the admiral's is on Friday....we're both at different places.

yesterday,  I wrapped all the rest of the gifts........where the admiral left off.  we went out in the afternoon,  and finished shopping.........more gifts to wrap!

we wrapped them today.......and now we are totally done.  sadly......no time to model  :(  thanks for look'in in and your kind comments......I'm tempted to get the other one.......         it's a fun model so far :) 

hope you all have a great Christmas........hope you all find what you wish for under the tree :ph34r:                                                                                                                        

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

today is my appointment for the Covid booster.    morning coffee........listening to news on google.....taking Gibbs out for his morning outing......got tired of doing that.  I thought about the gun set up in the inner assembly for the gondola.  I'd have to connect the lower pins in the rods for the hoist.  after a bit of thought,  I did just that.........

555813054_1.jpg.3fd01323d9d8de09b6f3bd01f138f469.jpg

the holes that are exposed are for the pivot pins,  to be added after the top decking and pivot brackets are in place.  when this insert is finally installed,  as you see it here,  the fork is to be cemented to the slide plate that sits inside.

1244692452_3.jpg.9f68bc44b4918e8b2ae438185b2053bb.jpg

of course,  you can't see it,  but it's down there. ;)  I also was still think'in about the overspray on the inner surface of the truck body.  I used a brush to paint the area that can be seen.

934420567_2.jpg.6fb585e8d2d3d1689923f5311aa6d937.jpg

I started to paint the base ....started out with the brown yellow.....left it as kinda blotchy,  so some of the gray plastic can show through

1002445213_4.jpg.248084615948960d355ca0fa8f0884f2.jpg

them I went over it sparsely with a darker brown,  before another sparse coat of the D. gray

1733785912_5.jpg.69c5e15d0d70fb6f1d47212af6fd27cd.jpg

1610154107_6.jpg.39db17c394e0f0036f9f93f112b4159b.jpg

the ties and rails will be different colors........more to add towards the finish.  next was some flat umber and some green blotches.   now it has to dry a bit........I'll show ya then :)   the munitions wagon got some paint too.  second coat and the parts I had added to it......still more to go with it.

196325712_7.jpg.f97d2ba7bbcee8e74455d8912f3c0ea5.jpg

988085556_8.jpg.19862c7eac9a250b875a37c8e62bee89.jpg

the error code prevents me from showing the last photo........  OK.......time to go  hope I get a lolly :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

shots are done..........one in each arm......flu and covid.  left arm is a bit sore,  but I'm good :)   I got back home and got a little more accomplished.  I promised to show you the outcome on the base.  a dry brush of raw umber and green for vegetation.  still need to bring out the ties and rails,  but that will be done after the big day I'm afraid.  for now....

1986102693_1.jpg.23f248582e8251f28f8ba98ced764222.jpg

62515442_2.jpg.e1e91cba033311f7af11e4a81e9835e5.jpg

1279523972_3.jpg.d3f1a861d84f593cb96d6c0c58bc4a01.jpg

I'll see if I can bring up the lost picture........nope......it won't go :(    Leopold was dry fitted.......assembled on the base

951957701_4.jpg.0ba29e0061437f747f9e5841315daa31.jpg

1773505772_5.jpg.6bd66d0a8836aef48c19be983c090643.jpg

I forgot to add the munition shed.......

429913306_6.jpg.06641f4a5e67175f1df403ec72b3d767.jpg

one thing I did notice is that the gondola seems lower on the rear truck.....I'll look into that.   the admiral is on edge today.......so I'll likely be walking on some eggshells.........I do hope she mellows out.   sucks I can't make her a drink,  considering all the meds she takes :unsure:  gotta go help her make meatballs........and prep other things ;) 

hope your festivities are joyous and super - T - duper! :)     

holiday9.jpg.d3d43878c1df66cc6a743c79edfd2aa5.jpg 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is looking really good Denis  -    hope  you have a great one  over the holidays mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

thanks OC.......and I hope all had a great holiday! :)    I didn't score huge in the model area,  but what I did score was essential to this log :ph34r:  I haven't had time to devote to Leopold during these last few days........my mind has been elsewhere.  one thing I love about modeling,  is that the freedom is enormous.......to look at a model and see possibilities.........my past subjects prove that ;)   to look at one ship and see another.......any one subject is up for grabs!

I was going to withhold this until the end,  but this is too cool for that.  I wish I had taken a few extra picture.  after reading that the Germans were in the design stages of making the rail gun an all terrain piece,  like they did with the smaller mortar variants,  it got me thinking how they would have accomplished this.  ........the modification of rail flat cars to support the gondola........the info that they were using Tiger II tanks in the design was a starting point.  I did look at other tanks,  but the Tiger had the broad flat top deck....made sense.  my wish list for Christmas was for two 1:72 Tiger II tanks,  and my wish was granted :) 

1859240589_1.jpg.1741ebf97410e0140ec30afae4af1280.jpg

407394232_2.jpg.40ab173173d226bd466a194cf60d6dab.jpg

these kits are nice........good in the respect that the tools and cables that are usually molded,  are separate parts in the kit.  there is the freedom to put them in other places,  or save them for other endeavors.  looking at the top deck,  I gotta get rid of the hole for the turret.  cutting a piece of 1.5 mm plastic sheet,  the hole was traced on it.

1039099649_1.jpg.0ddfe10fe53d2cd723ac865825e4dd3a.jpg

cut out,  the plug will look like this......

128409700_2.jpg.ebc5df7dd40fbb751754f7717051573f.jpg

trimmed and fitted,  it looks like this....

2020736161_3.jpg.902e367a160eef64683982f75be5c1d6.jpg

I wish I remembered that I also had some .075 thick styrene........I would have used it instead.   #4 won't show up.......just the drive wheels and bogies,  just that I have double to deal with.  I'll show more as I proceed :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

ohhhhhhh......but this isn't the end of the madness.  the omitted pile got me wondering..........what am I to do with the turrets?

27059138_1.jpg.2ca751ed7e1f07fb712b0fd66cbc448e.jpg

these are only some of the parts....the kit is decently detailed.  thinking back in the picture book in my mind........I recall seeing other ingenious instruments of war.  here........sorry that I didn't take any pictures of the assembly process,  but I was caught up in the moment.  using the .075 sheet plastic was a lot easier to cut,  in fashioning the car body.  I'm a bit thick in the platform........and there are no 'bells and whistles' on it yet.  I might not even stay with this design,  but it's close to what I've seen.  I even joked to myself that I could even do a decent AT walker.......   the body is sanded and cleaned up........the turret hole was as easy as the plugs I made for the tank chassis.  if I had the trucks,  I could have it set on tracks :) 

832434036_2.jpg.f0d1ef3eef2d4142de9c3bcb2e3d3a84.jpg

487813079_3.jpg.f103cdfd09d99d5bda11b9cc86869d28.jpg

530222958_5.jpg.7e2cce7624f1c50dbf0df947ad502cea.jpg

#4 didn't show up......I'll have to read the thread on it......it has been reported.  holefully this next one will come up........

1789994757_6.jpg.c323364bfdb7746c5c3e92f9cc6fbcd5.jpg

it did!.......the one thing I was disappointed with,  is that the tracks are plastic.  I started to look to see if flexible track was available.......so far,  a dry hole.

as I've said........insanity has it's virtues! :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

more has been done on this project.........mainly with the mechanization though.  I just got told we have to run.......but I will be back ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm having fun checking in.  There's a lot more going on with this endeavor than I anticipated (of course).  Very cool. 

well thanks Bug.......and thanks to all who have joined in :)   I like models that have some 'expanse' to them...I think they give the modeler more freedom to build them the way they like.  they make you think.......what would they have looked like,  if they pulled it off?  I would say that the Germans thought about this after losing Leopold and Richard in Italy.   they were sent there to lay siege to the town of Anzio,  later nicknamed "Anzio Annie" and "Anzio Express".  I think that being limited to rail hampered them........they did do some damage,  but were not as effective as they were hoped to have been.  

if these two were mechanized,  they could have been positioned better in more strategic locations,  thus making a larger impact.  it might have also changed the use of the K5,  more versatile,   like the mortars that were built as all terrain pieces.  I haven't had the time to devote to Leopold.....save for a bit of time here and there.   I'm officially on vacation......won't see the shop now till the 29th...and I wish it was longer :(   I took a different approach to the pair of Tiger II tanks.......wondering if adding the tracks would be easier.  one,  I added the track sides to the body,  the other I didn't.  ultimately,  I ended up assembling the chassis the same,  due to how I wanted to paint them.  the bottoms of the chassis were painted in the Dunkelbrau gray,  and then will be 'shadowed' with the sand yellow,  just like the gondola was done.  to fill in the holes for the turrets,  I changed over to the thinner plastic to make the plugs.  the plastic used is the same thickness as the thickness of the model,  so this made for a better choice.

1531873886_1.jpg.f85e6a2247bf8618ada65538e6a6abe1.jpg

2101174351_2.jpg.61c37e44581cc9fc70a799fd72213dbe.jpg

I used filler to get rid of any gaps around the plugs......trimming off the excess with a razor and sanding the decks smooth.  I also reinforced the plugs in case I needed to do any 'manhandling' along the way.

1452115268_3.jpg.700e60d5802454b0ea264b833529c61e.jpg

what I ended up with,  was a rather smooth looking deck.

847639769_4.jpg.76fe3610879ac2b3c2906a4124497b39.jpg

1078141411_5.jpg.7623d73cd5eda88f54b1139641d3552c.jpg

205084712_6.jpg.bd8097328834c6cdc96649d2fdcc90e9.jpg

this is the one that I didn't add the tread sides to.......a plate that has all the pins for the wheels and bogies.  once both were assembled,  I started with the paint.  I did the tracks with the gray as well,  later to be dry brushed with flat steel and rusty color.  there is still one bit of detail to be hashed out,  but that will be another session..  it needs to be done though for the second round of paint. 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

so........at this point,  the burning question is....how were they to be coupled.  Hasegawa isn't very detailed in this respect......there is some detail on the forward rail car,  but for the trailing rail car,  they only show a circle with a pin in the center.  the height of the gondola was another concern......sitting on the rail car,  the gondola is around 5/8ths of an inch off the ground.  not only that,  but it appears to be a tad lower in the rear,  than the front.  the adaption to the tank chassis might lift the gondola higher off the ground,  but it might be necessary,  since it will now be able to navigate over uneven terrain.  in thinking of the pivot points and how it would have to turn,  I thought to go with a simple 5th wheel design.  cutting them from the thinner plastic,  they were cut to shape and sanded.

1960864834_1.jpg.0cf2088a365ddefa07f25aeac345a566.jpg

keeping with the Hasegawa kit design,  the rear 5th wheel needs to have the pin added.   to get a better idea of how much height will be needed,  I had to set up the chassis the same as well {but without the pin for the rear}.

805977570_2.jpg.d6014b4a0ffad355972cd34db9c4896f.jpg

the gondola need to be high enough off the chassis to clear the detail on the decks,  as well as the exhaust pipes {I haven't dry fitted them yet to see how much that will be}.  the chassis are shorter than the rail cars......the cars being about 5 inches long.

1143042235_3.jpg.15c154a3591373b0e2df8e86e99f5b8c.jpg

.......but it can be seen that the gondola will also be higher off the ground,  than on the rail cars.   the height might be unavoidable,  since I'm not going to modify the gondola.   I {at this point} am either tempted to buy a second kit,  or scratch build the gondola,  for this new variant.   we'll see :ph34r:  the 5th wheels sit on a bracket fitted with a pivot pin.  in thinking of my dealings with tractor trailers,  trailers need to be a certain height off the ground,  so that the tractor can slide under them,  hooking up to the king pin located under the nose of the trailer.  the rear suspension of the tractor is fitted with air bags that will lift the trailer off the ground enough for the driver  to be able to crank up the landing leg {tubes}.   the landing legs are the support for the front of the trailer......the legs are telescopic....the lower portion of the legs retract into the housing of the upper section and allow enough clearance from the ground for transport.  ...just the principle of how these two parts work together ;)   to play it safe,  I gave them a height of around 1/4 inch.

1533051362_4.jpg.163c09461b56d538d7ea88b0db0ba59f.jpg

fitted in place....they now look like this.......

573500647_5.jpg.6bb45b62e975a0c6903308133aa6e726.jpg

more on this soon,  when I get the tracks on and paint. :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 weeks later...

hello everyone!.......remember me?!?!?   I'm that guy with the 'fly away' mind :D   it's been a busy place 'round here at the wharf...from snow storms that may as well be called slush events,  to changes in life and work { I wish the work part would fade......but that another story ;) } .  I have had moments where I could devote some time on this project though.......the concept is too cool now that I see it in the flesh.  to pick up where I left off takes us back to the end of January,  when it was time to put on the tracks.......a step that would have been better,  had I done it when the side panels were off the main chassis.  I would have had more room to piece together the track links.  as can be seen, there are the flat sections to the tracks,  and they are to be joined by the smaller parts of the track where ever the need to turn to meet the flat sections.

488381143_1.jpg.d9bbbdb2aa6cd04968127404f715a10c.jpg

they were first base coated in the Dunkel gray.......then dry brushed in flat steel,  and later to be dry brushed with the rust color {nothing more than flat red primer}.   it was kinda frustrating to assemble the tracks.......but it went well and I got the job done :)   once the chassis were painted in the sand yellow,  the gears and bogies were also dry brushed in prep for the task.

306276313_2.jpg.fc3d429e697149a69d76fa582c67e07f.jpg

I did leave some of the gray shadowing beneath the fenders...the outer part of the fenders will be added once the tracks are in place.

1020550912_3.jpg.9cd3f4d0406a8ec8b41e552e723dba4e.jpg

...and let the fun commence! 

1879951689_4.jpg.d0f750c920e3d885c8229b9a50c46eb3.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

the first chassis is done.......I used Ca to speed up the process,  and it was a better glue to keep the sections in place,  so I could continue with the assembly,  without so many discouraging words.

610784223_1.jpg.a2e20c4f91aa461b607fd2807497c9bc.jpg

after touch ups,  the outer fenders were added to the chassis.

1469533479_2.jpg.f3954df21f709c538791a33bb27707a1.jpg

the other chassis got the tracks added and the production line came to the conclusion of the track fiasco.  the exhaust parts and detail was added to the rear,  now that I can move forward finally :)   rear fenders as well....

108283614_3.jpg.d3a0d0c0f0e0a5ec6a17b3fae5edaa0d.jpg

I did some dry brushing to the tops of the couplers

1813175820_4.jpg.1881646fcf56998ac5d8b486f1c1db2f.jpg

639960043_5.jpg.271b63c8b7ade4813d0da5be3622ff95.jpg

front parts were added.......and then I gave them their camo stripes

449164940_6.jpg.9f269634170de45531f5fd9af01ddfa8.jpg

they are coming down to the smaller added bits of detail.  keen to note that I said a half truth earlier.......there are tools that are molded detail.  added detail is a shovel and a crank,  used for something or 'other.   that's next in the process.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

decaling for these tanks is located mainly on the turrets.  where it is though that the chassis used likely came off the assembly line,  rather than the field,  I simply gave then the German insignia.  they were positioned in places where I could use the rest of the detail parts,  like sections of repair track,  the cables,  and such.

221531924_1.jpg.ac18952a50b47107ac35fce8f12f671e.jpg

I would imagine that if there were antennas,  they would would be tied down,  in the form of a 'whip'........I haven't added them yet.

810868513_2.jpg.42f414471cce781adb868b9fbcfb116e.jpg

the cables were painted in flat steel and dry brushed with the rust color.

1433000742_3.jpg.b8cc7ced796763569214f9d51826bdf9.jpg

1575565341_4.jpg.70826e07edc693e05c5fd8c6c9f3a438.jpg

this morning,  I took another picture of the two........in a different light.  the shackles were also added.......just a couple more parts to go :) 

1713454609_5.jpg.6397f279d7b33f2173d47701d80266e0.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks great Popeye!  

of course........I also found a little time for Leopold.  the aft deck of the gondola has been added to the model,  along with the 'tilt' loading platform just behind the breech.  then I did something stupid........I used a brush to touch it up :default_wallbash:  in spite of my shaking the bottle of paint,  it still dried a different hue than what the airbrush laid down....I will have to go back over it.  the top decks were finally cemented into the rail cars........

340430431_1.jpg.6effb7e6e69d790cf5ef7df9d0647470.jpg

I did some here too.......given getting over spray where I don't want it,  I may just try and blend it somehow.  the main pivots for the gun still needs to be added...the parts are in the back ground..

503014948_2.jpg.8fbeace2e4f4459d80adb97b0c23e464.jpg

959476655_3.jpg.997dcbf83f46a452ff944e4962f51b45.jpg

so where we are at with Leopold...is here.  outside of the shading.......I'm ready to move on.  here it is again on the rail cars.

1567540085_4.jpg.0387d6db36d59c8b1a259c64e1495e8a.jpg

256064827_5.jpg.92debf299d8949758e50bcdd0435b609.jpg

939749007_6.jpg.c436c3bb12186cd1f438e82d0915fc32.jpg

I'll get that shading in check  ;)    as can be seen though,  there isn't much of a need for clearance......the tolerance between the gondola and the rail cars is minimal....not much gets in the way.  if this was to have gone through with mechanization,  I did find that the tolerance would need to be more, due to what is on the chassis tops and the exhaust....etc.  I am glad I gave it as much as I did..........get a load of this :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Good to see  you back Denis,     that is  some mighty fine  work  you have done there  -  really nice work  on all of them.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

ok....the blood is up to my head.......if this was to have come to fruition,  it would have been a monster.........a total game changer,  in my view.  Leopold would have had the ability to better positioning.....would have made a huge difference at Anzio.  here is what Leopold would have looked like,  if it had been mechanized.

645269473_1.jpg.3187e12aedc20101bd48a274eb35ab06.jpg

240964804_2.jpg.4b46ef28305e33b6266783352607f545.jpg

1751359314_3.jpg.8442464734960190a4292c367ced2211.jpg

696957709_4.jpg.73922ac2fdf964ad36c0f02135dddbe3.jpg

the chassis is level....high enough off the ground to navigate rough terrain.  I mention the antennas,  since it is crucial that the lead chassis be in constant communication with the trailing chassis {and vise versa}.   I thought about the turrets.......I think rather than buy another kit to use just the gondola,  I may scratch build another gondola,  a bit different than this one,  and base the turrets on it.  I can also shorten it up a bit.......I'll do a different log ;)   again,  I apologize for digressing like this,  but this was too good of a concept to ignore.  with so many kits out there,  this was too tempting not to exploit ;)    on with the normal programming......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Bug and OC........I guess it was good that I held off on showing the process.  one gets to see it as a whole {or close to it} rather than in sessions,  like normal logs run.  I've done a few tanks.......haven't done one in quite a while.  I'd love to do more.  the admiral today commented on the chassis,  saying that they are too small......she'd like to see them bigger.  I told her........OK.......I can get one in 1:16 scale.....the detail on them are so much more!

there was talk about cost.......as a matter of fact,  we were at Hobby Lobby yesterday,  and saw that there was a sale on kits....40% off.  so I bought two kits......a '59 Chevy El Camino and this tank.......

tank.jpg.c8c010329244a98d11cc635e9ec9d9b5.jpg

1:35 is a decent scale......I showed her the difference in body length,  as opposed to the 1:72 chassis.  it even comes with several army figures.......I doubt I will ever used them {any takers?}.  hey....who knows.......maybe I can angle my way towards getting one of those large scale kits :ph34r: !

aside from this diversion......I still have been play'in......I have some automotive engines I've been work'in on for future projects.  it seems that the 1950's is my play field ;)   thanks for look'in in......I hope I did good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: