NEW MEMBER and new to model ship building

Peter6172

Hi team,

Great to be able to join such an illustrious group of modellers.

I am new to Model Ship building having only ever built one 1/350 scale plastic model FFG (HMAS ADELAIDE) and a submarine (HMAS RANKIN) for my daughter who served in both.

My background is Model Railway predominantly HO but I did dabble in other scales over the years.   I have built over 200 locomotives for clients around the world but very few for myself.

I have finished building PORT JACKSON (Modellers Shipyard) in 1/50 scale as my first and pushed myself by scratch building the sails and associated rigging not included in the kit.

I hope to learn a lot about wooden sailing ships and with a special focus on the rigging and getting it as historically correct as I can.  IN this pursuit I expect to learn a great deal from the significantly more expert modellers in this forum.

11079036_10153119954723911_3502726703135799636_o.jpg

11055261_10153119965528911_6625182126058326907_o.jpg

964031_10151605959663911_1858528676_o.jpg

Edited by Peter6172

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

Welcome aboard Peter!!  You have thousands of potential teachers here which can be a curse as well as a blessing as experience (and opinions) vary. 😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Peter, welcome to MSW from the UK. 

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Peter, welcome to MSW. Your Port Jackson looks great, I look forward to seeing your next build. 

Edited by Keith Black

:piratebo5:and welcome aboard Peter.

Your Port Jackson look marvellous!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Welcome, Peter! Your daughter being in HMAS ships, you and she must be Australian? Also I find it interesting that she served in the Adelaide, one of whose missions is anti-submarine. And then she served in a submarine one of whose missions is anti-frigate. So, she managed both sides of that equation.

You must be very proud!

Tom

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard, shipmate! Glad to have another model railroader in the MSW crew!

N-Scale is my scale of choice at this time.  I started in HO and may go back to it in a few years.  The eyes and fingers are as good as they were in the past.

Scale 1:96 and 1:160 are my modeling choices.  1:96 for most ship models.  

Results, not Excuses,

AnchorClanker

“Behold, how good and pleasant it is

when brothers and sisters dwell in unity!"

Ps 133:1

Hi Peter and welcome to Model Ship World.  Thanks for showing your model railway.  You are a talented modeler and will do well building wooden ship models.  Glad to have you aboard.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat