A warm Hello all from Seattle, WA

Wawona59

Hello all,

My name is John Newcome from Seattle, WA.  I've been an avid modeler for over 50 years.  My modeling interests are  sailing ships and early aircraft.(1900 - 1940).   My primary modeling interest is sailing ships.  (if it has a mast, yard and sail, I'm in)

As a kid in the early 70's I built a number of sailing ships including the Revell 1:96 Constitution,  Thermopylae and Cutty Sark, the Aurora Whaling ship Wanderer.  Even as a 13 year old, I tied my own ratlines and made cloth sails (not very well though).  Once I made cloth sails out of a white cloth bed sheet I found in the closet.  (Mom was not pleased to say the least).

Several years ago, after the usual College-Career-marriage-kids experience, I returned to modeling.  I've built a number of aircraft models that have been periodically displayed at the Seattle Museum of Flight.  I'm now returning to my REAL modeling passion of sailing ships.  One of my goals is to build a model of the Lumber Schooner Wawona (hence my username).  She was a fixture on the south shore of Lake Union for decades until she was broken up a few years ago.  I toured her as a kid and took my children on her when they were little.

Even though I've studied sailing ships in the past and have a small library of reference materials, I'm going to start small.  I'm going to build the Model Shipways Phantom that I inherited several years ago as a partially started kit.  I will use Chuck Pacaro's practicum as a guide.  Over the years, I've inherited other partially built ship models from deceased friends.  My next project will be to finish the Corel Golden Hind model I inherited.  I also inherited a wooden hull of the Model Shipways Sultana.  I want to use a set of Model Shipways plans to complete the Sultana as my introduction to scratch building.

Many projects and dreams ahead.  I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

Thank you

John Newcome, Wawona59

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Thank you Keith for the welcome.  I think this will be fun!  John

Wawona 59

John

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner

Thank you Jeff for y our warm welcome.  This will be fun.  Since you are reasonably close to Seattle (I actually live in the Renton/Fairwood area) do you every visit the Wooden Boat museum on Lake Union?  John

Wawona 59

John

Welcome aboard John.

Like Dave_E I am a bit north in Everett but still close enough to be able to see and follow your works to come.:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Welcome to the fray John!  You mentioned you were a kid in the 70's so it is super nice to see a "youngster" join the group.  We love the scenery in your part of the country.   Made quite a few visits there when our youngest was living out there with his brood and attached to the Stryker brigade at JBLM.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hello, John.

I remember the news of Wawona being broken up. Sad news it was, too, since she was one of only two surviving ships from the Bendixsen yard in Fairhaven (the other surviving ship is C A Thayer, now at the San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park). I lived in or near Eureka for many years and worked on many of the old timber holdings of PALCO, Carson & Dolbeer, etc., so I have a particular fondness for all things related to the West Coast lumbering trade. You might already be aware that one of the largest shipbuilding yards on the West Coast, in addition to the Bendixsen yard, was that of the Hall Brothers in Port Blakely, not too far from you.

As you probably know, ships like Wawona were built on the basis of half-hull models rather than plans, so details of their construction are shrouded in the mists of history. One of our members has been doing a digital reconstruction of the brigantine Galilee, which was another West Coast-built, wooden-hulled merchantman, though built at the Matthew Turner yard in Benicia. If you are interested, you can see that work here.

Cheers!

Chris

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

Hello Chris,

Yes, it was very sad news when she was broken up.  There were grand plans for restoring her going back as long as I can remember.  Alas, Northwest Seaport didn't have the $$$ and there was little or no interest from the city of Seattle.  I think the city viewed her as a safety hazard and nuisance. 

Fortunately, there is a set of plans  and lines that were done of Wawona as part of the HAER project.  When I get my ship modeling skills up to snuff, I want to use these plans as a basis.  That's a ways down the road.  Right now, I need to start working on my inherited MS Phantom model which has already been started and requires some fixing.  I just dusted it off from my "shelf of doom".

Cheers,

John

Wawona 59

John

Welcome to MSW, John.  Do feel free to start a build log on each of your projects as you go.  We'd love to see them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Keith,

Thank you for the YouTube video upload.  After viewing it, I remembered there were many talented shipwrights at Northwest Seaport working on the vessel.  I was amazed how they could bevel the replacement frames in one pass using the biggest band saw I've ever seen.  

thank you

John Newcome, Wawona59

Wawona 59

John

Thank  you for the welcome Mark. 

I'm still familiarizing myself with navigating the MSW site.  Where do I go to start a build log?  Where do I put my current and past projects in my profile?  Everyone I've met online so far has been very welcoming.   Really glad I joined the group.

John

Wawona 59

John

Thank you for the warm welcome Parick.

John

Wawona 59

John

John, I don't know if you've see this but it's a great vid about a ship saw. If you want to skip the first part regarding replacing there keel, the bit about the saw is 7 min, 42 sec into the clip. 

John, welcome to MSW from the UK.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

7 hours ago, Wawona59 said:

Thank  you for the welcome Mark. 

I'm still familiarizing myself with navigating the MSW site.  Where do I go to start a build log?  Where do I put my current and past projects in my profile?  Everyone I've met online so far has been very welcoming.   Really glad I joined the group.

John

For a build log, we have a scratch and kit area and both are subdivided by yearrs.   There's pinned posts for help in getting started and set up.   As for past projects, use the gallery.

If you'll go here, https://modelshipworld.com/forum/47-how-to-use-the-msw-forum/, there's lots of pinned posts on how to use the forum features.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)