Lady Nelson by JGoff - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First Ship Build

I don’t know if I should have paid more attention to the grain of the balsa, but it has been a heck of a time getting it shaved/sanded down. In the process, I suppose there has been a good deal of hull fairing in the fore and aft bulkheads (did I use that terminology correctly) After sanding and filing the top, I was able to get the false deck installed. I would feel remiss if I did not include the necessary photo of the clamp army holding down the deck.86A0AA9B-368A-40CD-B0E4-9EF430EA053F.thumb.jpeg.4e5fe5a8719b7ce4661315eb71b33c80.jpeg

I did get my Stanley plane in and you may can see on the right of the photo the results of me playing around with it on a balsa strip. I haven’t used it yet on the LN, but I’ll expect that I will need it when I get to the masts.

There are a few points about fairing the hull that I have questions about. I’ll be posting some more photos soon, and hopefully my apprehension about this process might be alleviated.

Jonathon, Welcome aboard MSW and to the LN builders.  One caution on those Amati videos (there are about 20 of them).  The guy doing the build, was Leon Griffiths from Model Shipyard, a master builder.  I followed most of his techniques rather than those found here, to my detriment.  After getting myself in a hole (needed to rip off the first 5 planks, port and starboard, of the first planking) the advice I got here straightened me out.  What I'm saying is Leon didn't explain to the detail I needed and probably you will need also.  I thoroughly read several times some of the experienced builder's LN logs, including Glenn's.  Take your time and really understand what they writing about before you try it yourself.  It will save you a lot of aggravation, which you have already experienced.

I've been on medical leave since September but may get back into the big show in a month or so.  But take a read on Freezing Parrott's LN Build log, 

post #2, where I gave him some places to go to get the information that I found extremely helpful.  And poke about some of the other forums that deal with specific topics in the Shop Notes, Ship Modeling Tips, Techniques and Research section.  And the best advice passed down to me here and I'll pass it to you is: Treat every single item you do (bulkhead, plank, etc.) as a separate project, and do your best on each of those projects, and you'll be fine.  Good luck.

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

2 hours ago, drjeckl said:

Jonathon, Welcome aboard MSW and to the LN builders.  One caution on those Amati videos (there are about 20 of them).  The guy doing the build, was Leon Griffiths from Model Shipyard, a master builder.  I followed most of his techniques rather than those found here, to my detriment.  After getting myself in a hole (needed to rip off the first 5 planks, port and starboard, of the first planking) the advice I got here straightened me out.  What I'm saying is Leon didn't explain to the detail I needed and probably you will need also.  I thoroughly read several times some of the experienced builder's LN logs, including Glenn's.  Take your time and really understand what they writing about before you try it yourself.  It will save you a lot of aggravation, which you have already experienced.

I've been on medical leave since September but may get back into the big show in a month or so.  But take a read on Freezing Parrott's LN Build log, 

post #2, where I gave him some places to go to get the information that I found extremely helpful.  And poke about some of the other forums that deal with specific topics in the Shop Notes, Ship Modeling Tips, Techniques and Research section.  And the best advice passed down to me here and I'll pass it to you is: Treat every single item you do (bulkhead, plank, etc.) as a separate project, and do your best on each of those projects, and you'll be fine.  Good luck.

Thanks drjeckl! I actually recall your post perusing through some of the build logs when I first started, and I appreciate you taking the time to check out my log. I believe there were only 8 of those short/partial videos on the Amati website, and when I checked the model shipyard website, I could purchase a DVD set for $60 with the full instructional videos. Perhaps the fact that I no longer own a DVD player saved me from making the purchase. What was useful though for me was his explanation and demonstration of fairing, which I haven't really been able to find from casually searching for information on the fairing process here (which I'm still sort of stuck on). 

Yesterday, I set up a planking station and started trying out Chuck's method for bending planks (though I am not ready to start planking at the moment). I am going to have find some information on where the proper bend in the plank is supposed to be since I screwed that up twice, and evidently did not fully understand or implement Chuck's instruction properly. Now I did not do a taper on the first plank (which I was experimenting with a first plank as if I was ready to do it), since I had read somewhere that the first couple of planks did not require a taper on this model. So I either should have done a taper on the plank, or I most certainly created the bend in the wrong place. I recall @glbarlow posting that somewhere in response to another log, but haven't found it again yet. It might be prudent to start keeping a separate journal to record good information that I read, so I can remember the details! 

So for the moment, I continue fairing. It seems that every time I leave the LN for a moment thinking that the fairing is done, I come back to it and realize there are some spots that need more work. I did want to feel a little visual movement forward, so I went ahead and glued the outside stern counter frames which seem to need a little sanding to conform fully to the hull and allow for the bulwark to have a tight fit towards the stern.

17 hours ago, JGoff said:

I believe there were only 8 of those short/partial videos on the Amati websit

Sorry, I was referring to Amati's FB location where I found around 20.  Yeah, my point was only use that site to see things being accomplished, not necessarily how to do it.

explanation and demonstration of fairing

Have you gone through the https://modelshipworld.com/forum/14-building-framing-planking-and-plating-a-ships-hull-and-deck/ forum?  Very good place to start.  Plus YouTube.

Now I did not do a taper on the first plank

I did not taper my 1st plank.

It might be prudent to start keeping a separate journal to record good information

Just bookmark it.

went ahead and glued the outside stern counter frames

Not sure this was a good idea since all builds I've seen have this coming after the first planking.  Not that your taking an alternate path may still work; it's only the 1st planking.  But being a rookie, such as I am, taking alternate paths may lead to alternate destinations.  Best to take the worn path.

Here's something I cooked and posted in Kirby's LN log that may give you some idea, after you have a tapering plan, Post 19:

Listen, I appreciate where you may have been a bit stand-offish after installing the bulkheads from taking the more difficult path, the 1st planking, and installed the frames.  But at this point, you have no choice but to start it, so jump in.  What's the worst thing that can happen?  You eventually have to rip it and others off and have to start over?  Happened to me and I'm sure others.  But I got through it and I'm finished painting (2 coats primer, 3 coats of paint; photos not yet posted) my double-planked hull.  Check some of my posts in the Framing,... forum.  The best I like is:

Yeah, I got around that.

Again, all I'm saying is have a plan and then execute it.  And don't stray to far from the worn path.  You can do it.

Edited by drjeckl

.John

Current Build: Lady Nelson

Next up: Speedy (Vanguard Models)

Hi JG

There are many places to learn about planking properly, but many members (including me) think a couple of the best and the easiest are here at MSW on the Antscherl spiling piece, Passaro's lining out piece in the Articles data base and Passaro's 3 part video on You Tube.  They are not so difficult and they work.  For example, your strakes at the stern should run to the stern post rabbet. not the bearding line.  I may be wrong on this if you are double planking, but if you look at a contemporary planking expansion drawing you will see how they should lay.  Just go to the RMG Collections site and type in planking expansion plans on the search box.   There are 16 expansion drawings some of which show both outboard and inboard planking.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/planking expansion drawing

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

6 hours ago, drjeckl said:

Listen, I appreciate where you may have been a bit stand-offish after installing the bulkheads from taking the more difficult path, the 1st planking, and installed the frames.

Hey John, thanks for your taking time to respond. I haven’t yet installed the bulwarks, and so I thought to install the frames so that when I do install the bulwarks, I can attach those properly. I may not be naming those pieces correctly.

6 hours ago, drjeckl said:

But at this point, you have no choice but to start it, so jump in.

I’ve started to come around to this. I believe that I have faired the frames sufficiently, and really the best way to understand the process is to see the result for what it is supposed to accomplish and just start planking…once I get those bulwarks taken care of. I’ll take care of that this evening and start moving forward on the planking. One thing about the planking is that when I take a test plank and lay it across three bulkheads, everything lays properly. When I add a fourth bulkhead to the mix and hold the plank at either end, I start to see some gaps until I lay more fingers down on the plank. Everything seems ready to go and then I might overthink the issue. So I am just gonna have to start, and I’ll check out those posts you sent me.

3 hours ago, allanyed said:

There are many places to learn about planking properly, but many members (including me) think a couple of the best and the easiest are here at MSW on the Antscherl spiling piece, Passaro's lining out piece in the Articles data base and Passaro's 3 part video on You Tube.  They are not so difficult and they work.  For example, your strakes at the stern should run to the stern post rabbet. not the bearding line.  I may be wrong on this if you are double planking, but if you look at a contemporary planking expansion drawing you will see how they should lay.  Just go to the RMG Collections site and type in planking expansion plans on the search box.   There are 16 expansion drawings some of which show both outboard and inboard planking.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/planking expansion drawing

Thanks for the advice, Allan. I hadn’t thought to check out those drawings. And I’ll be double planking so my thought was that the first planking would extend to the bearding line and the second planking to the stern post rabbet? Otherwise I might end up sanding the most of stern down to accommodate the thickness of both layers of planking to be flush with the stern post, yes? I haven’t yet done much reading on the bearding line and rabbet, but it’s on the list of things I need to study. 

3 hours ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

Welcome to the forum and good luck on your build!  It can be frustrating at times, but the reward is worth your effort. 

Thanks Kirby! It has definitely had its share of frustrations thus far, but I do enjoy the process and seeing the little transformations. Plus, I’ve been finding myself reading more about the period and naval warfare, which - along with Aubrey - supplies some motivation.

• 1 year later...

It is hard to believe it has been 2 years since my last post here, although I have certainly not been absent. I put Lady Nelson on hold and decided to work on the Half-Hull Planking Project which was enormously helpful in getting over the planking hurdle I was having. 

IMG_7463.thumb.jpeg.c12d12e7c0d158233662e6bd18fea5d4.jpeg

There is much that can be improved, so we shall see I can continue to improve my planking skills with Lady Nelson. Understanding that this is the 1st planking, I am not overly concerned with attempting excellence for the first layer, simply dabbing a little water on the areas of the planking where I will edge bend them and gently bending the planks using my fingers which has so far been sufficient to the task. I am just building a base for my second planking. Here are the results so far with the first band. 

IMG_7509.jpeg

IMG_7513.jpeg

IMG_7508.jpeg

I have finished the first planking and have done some sanding. There were some difficulties at the bow and stern areas that betrayed my fairing job. I had to do a little more sanding and shem some bulkheads will definitely need some filler. 

I started using minwax wood filler on the starboard side, and I’m not sure if is the best filler for the job?  It tends to be very flaky but this may not matter much? At any rate, I just received some goodfillas neutral filler so I’ll use that on the port side and compare. 

Here are some photos after some sanding. 

IMG_7534.jpeg

IMG_7537.jpeg

IMG_7536.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I have planked above the wales with some remaining basswood I had from the Half-Hull Project. It is probably not ideal compared to boxwood or Alaskan Yellow Cedar, but I like the yellow-ish color when it has a few coats of WOP. For the remaining planking, I'll use the kit supplied walnut. I did like the contrast that I noted in glbarlow's Lady Nelson, and that is the effect I am going for here. Dealing with the gunports was more challenging than I had expected, and had I planned a little better, I would have marked the gunports and such to precut before applying the planks. Since that it was not what I did, I made some cuts with #11 blade and did a lot of filing.

Once I had the planking completed above the wales, I decided to take a break on the hull and move on to planking the deck. I have agonized over whether or not I would do a proper deck planking with waterways, tapering and joggling of the planks. In the end, however, I decided to simply go with a 4-butt shift using a 6B graphite pencil to simulate the caulking. I think for a future builds, I will go through the extra work and make some purchases of higher quality wood. With the kit supplied deck planking, I had to do a lot of sanding to smooth out the edges. I do not know if this typical. Perhaps with .6mm thick plank, the cuts are not so clean in production? At any rate, sanded and marked, I completed the planking with Minwax "weathered oak". The picture makes it appear darker than it is, and it probably too dark for my liking now that the work is done. Overall, I am pleased with the result but also look forward to future improvements. 

Planking the inner-bulwarks is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I am using the jig that I made for bending the bulwark strips, as well as a bit of water and a travel iron to form the plank. However, the plank is still proving a little difficult to set, which makes me think that I made need to compensate a bit more and exaggerate the bend some water and my fingers to set it. I think for now, though, I am going to go back to the hull and finish the 2nd planking.

IMG_7584.jpg.d41f631bcc76c4da1c2a3db709317bd0.jpg

Thanks for tuning in and for the likes. 

• 2 months later...