HMS Druid by Krug - FINISHED - 1:48 - Hahn

Sailor, I tried directing the oldest one and that failed so I am just letting my 9 year old go with whatever he likes- just so long as glue is involved.

John and all the likes - thanks for stopping by.

I have been working on the wall planking as the next step:

post-6104-0-21730800-1394390515_thumb.jpg

I have refined my theorem:  Sand until you believe you are 100% - you are actually 25%.  Repeat for the same time period - now you are 50%. Do two more times and you will be done.

I have thought I had gone over these walls so many times smoothing them down.  Well, start putting the planks and all the irregularities arise out of the smoothed walls to create a landscape looking more like the moon than a polished piece of glass.

post-6104-0-47588000-1394390516_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-53451700-1394390517_thumb.jpg

With the last pic you can see the deck addition clamps put on by the British forward of the quarterdeck.

My belief is that I am currently at the 50% mark for sanding.  Still room for improvement but should be there later tonight.  The bow is currently untouched.

-mark

Edited by kruginmi

Still plugging away and actually have a lot of fun.  I am now putting stuff on that will actually be easily seen in the finished product.  The big additions lately are the cap rails over the mid-deck section.  I used boxwood for these because of its hardness, given the potential for banging around during the construction to come.  Pretty much everything else is basswood.

post-6104-0-16009000-1394795245_thumb.jpg

This morning I got the chesstrees re-attached and the pass through hull sheaves on one side of the ship.  Still many details to work (eg I am adding a manger, window sills) on the gun deck - my goal is to finish this section up early next week.

post-6104-0-60928500-1394795246_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-86997400-1394795247_thumb.jpg

Lots of sanding, sanding, sanding.  I have partially gel coated completed sections of the hull to highlight the plank seams, this will be 100% as the assemblies are finalized.

-mark

great model Mark

neatly built and good looking all the way, well done!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Today was the internal hawse hole linings.  Given the size of the holes and proximity to the edge of the pieces, opted for boxwood for this detail work.  First used some basswood to size things out though.  This lining will project out from the other wall planking by 1/32 (1/2 the width of the 1/16 wall planking).

The initial prototype built on the waterway just didn't look right and it was obvious this thick stuff needed to go down to the deck.  So, after measuring out the required distance I chiseled out the waterway.

post-6104-0-58879200-1394916426_thumb.jpg

Once I had the hawse hole lining roughed out I put it in place and did a light drill from the outside to place the location of the two hawse holes.  Once this was done the piece was removed and (as shown in the next pic) I used a smaller drill to locate these locations to the other (finished) side.  I could then drill the full size hole from both sides to avoid tear out and get a very neat and accurate hole.  I then used a file to put in a shallow groove  providing a smooth groove leading to the deck.  Once put in place the drill showed a clean smooth hole through the whole hull

post-6104-0-29103600-1394916428_thumb.jpg

I sized to fit under the first opening then rounded the edges exposed to the wall planking.  This will make the planking neat and tidy.

post-6104-0-01080700-1394916431_thumb.jpg

Now I can move on to the final bow planking.

-mark

Thanks for looking.

Everyday I have tried to get something done in the workshop.  Today was two items:  one, the boxes for the steerage cables on their way up to the quarterdeck and two, finishing the bow wall planking.

For the cable boxes, I didn't want to use just a flat glue joint so I extended one side down into the floor planking:

post-6104-0-49069400-1395111533_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-50028400-1395111535_thumb.jpg

The height of these boxes is equal to the size of the other coamings on the deck.  Pretty straight forward but really cleans up the look.

The second item was another major milestone - completion of the bow wall planking (and thus - all of the gundeck planking).

post-6104-0-07514300-1395111522_thumb.jpg

Next up is more sanding, the stern window frames, the hinges for the stern lockers and then the bulkhead partitions.

-mark

Mark:

The hull really looks good. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Russ

With some time back on the ship I decided to tackle the manger.  This was not on the plans but something I have thought about adding for a awhile (plan bashing?).  This area is obscured but still can be seen if you are triple jointed (hah, hah).

post-6104-0-68130800-1395796085_thumb.jpg  post-6104-0-95247300-1395796086_thumb.jpg

I designed this on the fly and probably ended up with about two and a half hours total.  I had several starts and stops but relaxed and finally evolved to a solution that I liked. 

This is the view from the middle gun deck and what will be visible from the finished viewpoint.

post-6104-0-27314500-1395796086_thumb.jpg

For background, these temporary walls contain the slime and mud brought up on the anchor cables.  Given the location and look it was a natural place for any animals (eg pigs, cattle) brought on board to be penned up - thus the name manger.

-mark

There is a saying when I was in the Army that no plan survives first contact and that was certainly true with the stern windows.  Being flexible and open to modifying your approach (without becoming overly exasperated) is an important part of this hobby - a lesson well learned over and over for me!  The stern windows are nothing but angles (and nothing 90 degrees).  To start I cut 1/16 inch templates, slowly cutting away as I custom formed them to the necessary openings.  Note:  the frames also angle inwards.

post-6104-0-11723200-1396093002_thumb.jpg

Once these were made I could make the actual frames off ship (a good thing):

post-6104-0-27488900-1396093003_thumb.jpg

1.  I glued down scrap straight wood pieces to capture the outline.

2.  The template was taken out

3.  The outline of the window was measured out and glued together

4.  The horizontal cross members were added and glued

5.  The vertical cross members were added and glued

6.  Sand the top face totally flat with a sanding block

6.  A razor blade was used to remove the outside forms

7.  A razor blade was used to gently remove the window

8.  The back of the window was sanded flat and the joins cleaned up

9.  Through trial and error, the frames were gently sanded on their sides to fit into the window opening.

10.  With a good fiction fit I put the original template against the outside window to help push into place

post-6104-0-80536100-1396093003_thumb.jpg

Stand back and breathe.  Repeat four more times.  Each time I have done this the results have been better.

The main issue I had was that I had originally intended to mortise and tenon all the frame pieces for all the frame pieces.  I tried and tried some more.  With all the angles I just wasn't successful in producing an end result that was tight and looked right.  I finally had one of those moments when I stepped back and opted to try just using butt joints.  Given the outside form I was able to really hold the frame and apply outside pressure so this decision paid off.  Especially given that the final window was protected and affixed on all four sides I am okay with this change.

-mark

After a few more hours in the shop I managed to get the remaining windows complete and sanded to shape.

post-6104-0-70691100-1396140732_thumb.jpg

Even with all the templates there still was a few minor gaps that bugged me.  After looking at the stern closely I realized the key was to remove the external planking between the windows and replace with some slightly larger to cover the initial window frames.  Didn't take too much time to make this change.  I still have not applied the gel coat to the new pieces which will make the finish much more uniform.

I did clean up the internal edges with some very thin molding pieces (though it will invisible to view).

-mark

Thanks David,

For all the sharp pointy tools around here, I will save the belts for post modeling activities!  Those windows were just something that has been on the short list for awhile and for whatever reason I had been hesitant to start them.  Now that they are in the rear window (hah, hah) I am beginning the bulkheads for the captains cabin.  My goal is to finish up the gun deck within two weeks (not including the capstan).

BTW:  This means no cannon.  For this model I had always envisioned only including the things that were permanently attached to the hull.  The emphasis had always been on the hull as a whole (thus the mono-color with a little black metalwork).  I am thinking about putting a single cannon and an anchor on the base nameplate (off ship).  I can't say I have seen too many examples of this but I have thought about this a lot.

Mark

On to the bulkheads!  The windows ended up being 66 different pieces of wood, it will be interesting to see how many pieces are used for these 3 panels.

The approach for the 3 panels (2 cross ship, one bow and aft connecting) was to use a 3 ply sandwich of 1/32" basswood, used on other builds in this forum.  The middle piece is a solid piece of wood with the 2 other being trim pieces added to give the look of fancier paneling.

The initial form was defined through the use of cereal box cardboard.  If any one needs that detail let me know, but needless to say it took around 3-4 iterations before I was satisfied (around a full size Cheerio box - hah, hah).  Once I was satisfied with the fit I transferred to the basswood and cut out:

post-6104-0-84849600-1396479473_thumb.jpg

The panels were cut to fit under a defined deck beam, flush with the rear edge.  You can see in the above photo the Legos used to help hold things up (another great idea from this forum).  I then defined the doorway locations which required more effort than I thought.  The original location looked great but upon trying the panel in location was obvious had an issue with the location of the stairs to the berth deck.  I moved them farther out but then realized the door locations had to be equivalent on the aft bulkhead for the connecting partition to work and, of course, they were now too far out.  So....third time the charm and I got to an acceptable location:

post-6104-0-43718400-1396479475_thumb.jpg

The connecting panel was added and the trim work to allow them to connect.  I added some preliminary trim pieces to check out the pattern I sought after, but it is still incomplete.  The doors will not have windows added to them.

post-6104-0-24579600-1396479477_thumb.jpg

A final check required before the push to complete the panels was to add the other quarterdeck beams.  I love it when a plan comes together:

post-6104-0-90562300-1396479478_thumb.jpg

Tonight the plan is to complete the trim pieces on all three panels, add solid 3/32" pieces of wood between the beams on the fore and aft piece for strength and a more finished look.  The metalwork for the hinges and door knobs will be this weekend.  Then the pieces get stored away until the cannon carriage bolts are affixed.

Not too much work, but a tremendous change in visual appeal.

-mark

Thanks for all the likes!

7 hours and 180 pieces of wood (and counting) the bulkheads are pretty close to done.  Still need the hinges and door knobs to make the doors pop and the gel coating will help accentuate the paneling.

post-6104-0-05567200-1396613587_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-88464900-1396613588_thumb.jpg

I also will add some pieces on the fore and aft panel between the beams to clean up the top edge and provide some added strength to keep it from shifting in the future.  With the deck extension the British added these bulkheads are pretty far under the quarterdeck lip.  I will keep a gap in the floor planking for some glimpses.

post-6104-0-56569600-1396613592_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-51620800-1396613590_thumb.jpg

Now on to the mast partners.....

-mark

Great Progress Mark,

very good looking Wood joining work, also the Stern Windows look great

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

I like it, Mark.

I noticed some slots in the upper hull planking. I assume those are for the channels??

Thus far I don't see anything that requires a 'steal'. B)

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Thanks Nils, Ed, Jay and Russ for the compliments.  Jay - yes those slots are for the channels.  Almost a whoops there since I had almost glued in the molding over them before almost by chance remembering I needed to keep that clear.  The actual channels are roughed in and off to the side currently.

Now for the mast partners.  I had never really thought these through but had 'assumed' the normal fashion a ring and slip it over the mast and rest on the deck.  As I went over what had to be done I had one of those ah-ha moments where I realized the process was almost as complicated as the 'real' process.  Why not?  (bashing / scratch is so liberating - hah, hah).

First obstacle was that the deck hole was currently a snug fit for the mast and had to be enlarged, but by how much?  I affixed four 1/32" pieces to the mast and measured the resultant opening.   Also VERY important to trace the deck profile onto the mast since the partners are not at 90 degree angle to the mast.

post-6104-0-54852200-1396702353_thumb.jpg

This was then transferred to the deck and the hole suitably enlarged.  I measured the outside circumference of the new hole to define a uniform wedge size.  Then using some wood from the scrap pile (I  believe 1/8") I cut out that width and using a jig cut the tail down to the target 1/32".  The back of the wedge was sanded to the profile of the mast and the edges hand cut to the necessary bevel.  Each wedge had to be checked against the deck profile (drawn onto the mast) to insure the correct slant was added to the deck mating section.

post-6104-0-96211200-1396702351_thumb.jpg

Once all the wedges were attached there was point sanding to smooth / round things out.  I should note that I periodically checked the fit against the deck as the wedges were attached.  I still have some more refining to do but it works out to around an hour per mast partner.  Still have the main and foremast to do, hopefully today.

post-6104-0-15702300-1396702355_thumb.jpg

-mark

Thanks everyone for looking, with your motivation I am almost buttoning this gun deck up! 

One of the last things is to affix the cannon tackle (port tackle eybolts on top, breeching ringbolts on bottom each side of cannon).

For my prototype I used 28 gauge wire and a 4p nail.

post-6104-0-69326500-1396957260_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-84718600-1396957261_thumb.jpg

It looks to me I need to go with a smaller nail.  Given that their will be no cannon I am also leaning towards having no breaching ring hanging off the ringbolt for a cleaner look (the right side of the pic).

Any comments?

-mark

For a second go I used the shank of a drill bit to achieve around a 50% reduction in ring size for the eyebolts affixed to the hull.  The hanging ring I kept at the 4P nail size.

post-6104-0-12835100-1397008722_thumb.jpg

This achieves the look I had in my mind.  I now have to find my Zen, a comfortable spot and produce 90+ of the eyebolts.  Then after cleaning and blackening I will put them aside until the gun deck is totally gel coated before gluing them in using CYA glue. I hope this ends up being this weekend!

Stay Building, My Friends,

Mark

Hi again Mark, so this is where you have been hiding ^_^ I was following along the Lady Anne, and you vanished !  :P I see your time has been well spent as this build is simply beautiful ! it has been a pleasure to go through the previous pages and catch up !

Take Care Mate

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Thanks Eamonn for the kind words.  I am trying to make this the year of finishing things and I have been laser sighted on the Druid.  The Lady Anne is always at arms length (put in ordinary) and is definitely next on the list (with hope to also finish prior to the end of the year).  I am actually asked by the Admiral how the progress is going so that is a good thing.

I have been keeping track of time spent (and wood used) and am constantly amazed at how the numbers keep climbing up.  With continued focus I am hoping to complete in the June time frame....

Stay building my friend,

Mark

Thanks Greg and Michael and all the likes / looks.  I appreciate them, this build has been a long time in coming!

With spring break being over with all the trips / visits / teenage angst I can finally get back to work.  First on the list was the 90 eyebolts and 40 rings (18 gunports, 5 eyebolts per, 3 rings per).  Just pull up a cozy chair, have a good magnet nearby to find all those AWOL pieces and a mere 3 hours later they were done:

post-6104-0-81492700-1397643735_thumb.jpg

Since I needed to blacken them, it was a natural to finally get all those hinges done to allow everything to blacken in one bunch.  I sliver soldered a thin rod onto a cut rectangular piece of brass then super glued this along with another small piece of brass to achieve the look I wanted.  These were also used for the rear lockers.  Then everything had a coat of gel coating.  I did make this job easier when I suddenly realized I didn't need hinges on both sides of the door!

post-6104-0-19541400-1397643737_thumb.jpg

Then of course you have the obligatory draft install to check out the final look:

post-6104-0-84048200-1397643738_thumb.jpgpost-6104-0-30343600-1397643740_thumb.jpg

Another notch in the complete column.  Now for some clean-up, the addition of a small windlass, affix all that cannon tackle and I will declare the gun deck complete. Maybe by tomorrow night?

Stay Building My Friends,

Mark

Nice.. that looks the absolute business Mark !

All The Best

Eamonn

I always found those doors with hinges on both sides a nightmare to open.. ^_^

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Another 8 hours in the books (time flies when you are having fun).  I did a lot of touch up, the secret:

post-6104-0-11909000-1397833105_thumb.jpg

The spindle sander provided the sawdust.  I would put some glue on my finger, use the mini-trowel to push it into the offending space, and then rub sawdust over everything.  After a few minutes I used a scraper to remove a majority of the overflow and once dry sandpaper to finalize.  Worked like a charm.

The majority of the time was on those 90 eyebolts and 40 rings, and the assorted fitting, drilling, blackening, resetting (and on the floor finding the errant drops). 

post-6104-0-42981900-1397833106_thumb.jpg

I am pleased with the result.  Just have one more thing to button up this gun deck and move to the forecastle.  I have also actually fitted the bowsprit.  To set the gammoning cleats I thought the easiest was to have it solid on the hull so visually everything would be in alignment.

Stay building my friends,

Mark