Rope and cable - various sizes - Ropes of Scale

Rope and cable - various sizes
Ropes of Scale

Check website for specific price/size

DSC_0519.jpg

Afternoon all,

Ben from Ropes of Scale recently sent me a package of samples from his synthetic range of rope, and also a couple of of his rope-laid cables. Shipping from Canada took around 2 weeks, which I don't think is too bad in this current climate, and the pack came in a thick, protective Jiffy-bag, unmolested by the ravages of the various postal services involved! 

DSC_0501.jpg

Inside the pack were samples of rope in the following sizes:

• 0.25mm (0.009") x 6 metres
  • 0.35mm (0.013") x 6 metres
  • 0.45mm (0.017") x 6 metres
  • 0.5mm (0.019") x 6 metres
  • 0.6mm (0.023") x 6 metres
  • 0.7mm (0.027") x 6 metres
  • 0.8mm (0.031") x 6 metres
  • 0.9mm (0.035") x 6 metres
  • 1.0mm (0.039") x 6 metres
  • 1.1mm (0.043") x 6 metres
  • 1.2mm (0.047") x 6 metres

These sizes were all individually bagged into zip-lock wallets and supplied in nicely wrapped loops with a 'Ropes of Scale' label applied to stop the loops unravelling. All of the above sizes were supplied in Tan, Light Beige, Dark Brown, and Black. As well as the supplied sizes, Ropes of Scale also creates these in 1.3mm thru to 1.8mm, currently.

chart.jpb.jpg

Also included in the pack were two samples of cable-laid rope. These are:

• 2.6mm (0.102") x 2 metres - Tan
  • 1.7mm (0.066") x 2 metres - Black

All rope is right-hand laid (left-hand laid is denoted by an 'L' on the label), and very much covers the bases that a modeller would need for colour options. These cables are synthetic, although you can get them in cotton. For these synthetic ropes, Ropes of Scale use Gutermann E thread which is totally free from any of that annoying fuzz that sometimes accompanies the rigging process. According to their website, the ropes are also been heat treated to stop it unravelling when cut, although they do still note that a little CA on a rope end may be needed to thread them through your favourite rigging blocks. 

Tan

DSC_0504.jpg

DSC_0505.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

The colours tend to cover all the required bases with two options for both running and standing rig. When it comes to standing rig, I would personally lean towards the dark brown as it perhaps more closely represents a tarred line than black, but many folk still prefer black, so that option is also there for you. 

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

Light Beige

DSC_0515.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519.jpg

Dark Brown
Perhaps the best solution for representing tarred standing rig.

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0524.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

Black
Probably the favourite and most widely used colour for standing rig.

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

DSC_0530.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

DSC_0532.jpg

DSC_0533.jpg

Rope-laid Cable
These are supplied here in 2m lengths.

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0535.jpg

DSC_0536.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

I've been using some Gutermann rigging cord over the last year or so with my work on Vanguard Models' kits, and I have to say that I very much favour the brand as it's trouble-free when in use and doesn't have the common tendency to snag while working either, so these will be an absolute joy to work with. Manipulating the rope also doesn't result in the threads separating too. This is the first professional grade of rope that I've experienced in this format, and I have to say that I do like it very much indeed. I can also tell you that the forthcoming 1:64 HMS Indefatigable kit from Vanguard Models, will also feature hawse/cable and mast stays supplied by Ropes of Scale, so that is a very exciting development! 

Ropes of Scale are a sponsor of Model Ship World. If you're in need of some amazing quality, fuzz-free rope that is going to have the exact scale fidelity you require for your build, you certainly won't go wrong with any of Ben's products. They are doubtless made with passion and dedication, and you can clearly see his attention to detail in every single packet.

ros.jpg

4 minutes ago, starlight said:

For the benefit of a newbie such as myself, could you or @BenD go over the advantages/disadvantages of synthetic rope over cotton?

Cotton is a more traditional material for rigging and it does have a decent texture and no sheen. It does however have the dreaded fuzz that needs to be dealt with. I do treat the cotton with PH neutral PVA to help reduce it. 

Gutermann E Polyester makes perfect scale rope but it has one drawback... Shine. Watered down Matt Polyethene varnish does fix that and it's fairly easy to apply after rigging. It's mostly the black and dark brown rope that need it. 

• 1 year later...

For the colours beige and Tan which seems to be the most popular for running rigging. Great thread by the way and excellent quality for the black I have received.Thank you

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

I've been making my own scale rope with the Syren Rope Rocket.  Some 'ordinary' Gutermann poly thread bought in a sewing shop made good rope without much 'shine'.  'Don't know if it  Gutermann "E", as there is no letter designation on the bobbin.  The fuzz is minimal.  Using Mettler ploy thread had less shine, but more fuzz (still less than cotton) - but 'flashing it off' by QUICKLY passing the line over an alcohol flame in an old fashion glass burner.  'Guess that might work for cotton scale rope.

Poly rope needs 'tempering' 5-7 min. at 350 degrees as part of the manufacture, so you can save yourself trouble with quality scale line form either Ropes of Scale or Syren - both good suppliers.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65