Acrylic Paint Equivalent for Plastikote Oxide Red Primer (Anti-Fouling for Vanguard's Nisha)

Sorry all for the super specific question but I have been going to down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find the shade of red for the waterline of Vanguard Models Nisha. Chris Watton uses Plastikote Red Oxide primer in his build but I have not been able to find a supplier in my area so I have been looking for equivalent shades. Ideally I would like to airbrush it on using acrylics. 

I am looking to paint the hull black with a red waterline like Ajohnson and Niwotwill excellent builds. Ajohnson uses Colour Coats Enamel "anti-fouling" and NiWotWill uses Mission Model "Standard Rust." Since I am painting in my apartment, I am trying to stay away from enamels and as I am completely new to airbrushing (and painting in general) I am a little worried about Mission Models as they have a reputation of being difficult for newbies. I couldn't really find any easy conversion charts but as a beginner, I am not sure of the standard methods, so recommendations on matching paints would actually be incredible as well. I really appreciate this communities patience and advice throughout this build! 

Glomar look for model railroad paint, BoxCar Red to be specific. Walther's probably has it.

Current Build: Fair American - Model Shipways

Awaiting Parts - Rattlesnake

On the Shelf - English Pinnace

18Th Century Longboat

I stand firmly against piracy!

1 hour ago, Glomar said:

Sorry all for the super specific question but I have been going to down a bit of a rabbit hole trying to find the shade of red for the waterline of Vanguard Models Nisha. Chris Watton uses Plastikote Red Oxide primer in his build but I have not been able to find a supplier in my area so I have been looking for equivalent shades. Ideally I would like to airbrush it on using acrylics. 

I am looking to paint the hull black with a red waterline like Ajohnson and Niwotwill excellent builds. Ajohnson uses Colour Coats Enamel "anti-fouling" and NiWotWill uses Mission Model "Standard Rust." Since I am painting in my apartment, I am trying to stay away from enamels and as I am completely new to airbrushing (and painting in general) I am a little worried about Mission Models as they have a reputation of being difficult for newbies. I couldn't really find any easy conversion charts but as a beginner, I am not sure of the standard methods, so recommendations on matching paints would actually be incredible as well. I really appreciate this communities patience and advice throughout this build! 

Is Plastikote Red not available in the US? I used that as Chris recommended it, and it seems quite universal when it comes to getting hold of it.

I too am working on the Nisha and trying to air-brush the lower hull with some sort of acrylic. I ordered Badger Modelflex Anti-Fouling Red Oxide from Hobbylinc, based on the recommendation of Kurt Van Dahm in this forum. It's one of Badger's ModelFlex Marine colors. I used their Stynylrez primers, also recommended by Kurt, which has worked out well so I thought I'd give this stuff a try.

It's due to arrive tomorrow (Saturday). We'll see how it goes.

Jonathan

Edited by wool132

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

The results are in with the Badger Anti-Fouling Red Oxide paint. I sprayed it on undiluted using my Paasche H Airbrush. I have minimal experience in airbrushing. Here 'tis:

image.png.844d3d7b700d183e9ccc65bfd4f2c8e1.png

The picture was taken with a Nikon D3400 set for f/25 (to increase the depth of field) with a 10-20 mm zoom lens in shaded evening light. It's a pretty good reproduction of the color. Initially I was lazy and used my iPhone 12 but the built-in AutoColorCorrectifierForDummies turned it into a rather garish red - gee, thanks guys. 😕

Jonathan

Current Build: Zulu - Lady Isabella

Completed Builds: Lowell GB Dory, Norwegian Pram, Lowell GB Dory Redux, Bounty Launch, Nisha, Lady Eleanor - Fifie
On the Shelf: Ranger, Erycina, HMS Alert, etc, etc.
Hibernating: Gunboat Philadelphia, Bluenose
In a Time Vault Due to Open in 2025: Syren

On 6/4/2022 at 7:27 PM, wool132 said:

The results are in with the Badger Anti-Fouling Red Oxide paint. I sprayed it on undiluted using my Paasche H Airbrush. I have minimal experience in airbrushing. Here 'tis:

image.png.844d3d7b700d183e9ccc65bfd4f2c8e1.png

The picture was taken with a Nikon D3400 set for f/25 (to increase the depth of field) with a 10-20 mm zoom lens in shaded evening light. It's a pretty good reproduction of the color. Initially I was lazy and used my iPhone 12 but the built-in AutoColorCorrectifierForDummies turned it into a rather garish red - gee, thanks guys. 😕

Jonathan

That turned out really great @wool132! Thanks for sharing!!! 

I was going to recommend Badger's Anti-Fouling Red Oxide (#16-401) in the Marine series or #16-14 in their Rail Road Colors - exact same paint.  It comes from the same 5 gallon pail - they put one or the other label on it after bottling.  I usually apply it over a black undercoat - STYNYLREZ works great for the this.  You can use the black Stynylrez for the entire hull like I do since it's release.  I like the black under the oxide red as it makes the red a bit more subdued.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS