Nisha by AJohnson - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'

Update for work done over the weekend and tonight, added the bulwark stanchions and capping rails and now started to add the deck parts, working my way forward (with the exception of the tiller arm - pretty sure I will manage to break that off if I fit it now!) no real problems encountered and the bulwark stanchions were actually very therapeutic to add, just did them one at a time, sanded off the char and a little dab of glue job done, just took my time to make sure they lined up with the markings Chris provides on the inner bulwarks.  I have wiped on a couple of light coats of Danish oil to bring out the deck and other wood parts in contrast to the bulwark black.

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Small update today showing the completed winch assembly.  I have added a few little details of my own from reference to Edgar J. Marsh.  These being various iron reinforcement bands from black cartridge paper and ringbolts for winch handle storage and anchor lashing.

Next thing to do, moving forward along the deck are the bitts for the Bowsprit.  I'm just having to read and re-read Marsh to try and get my head around where the bowsprit heel rope starts from and finishes when the bowsprit is extended.  Then hope to complete that assembly next.

Also doing more on the small boat, but will do a separate update for that.

Thank you all for the follows and likes again. 😄

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

Update with progress pictures of the little boat I am adding, this is from Caldercraft; before I knew Chris at Vanguard was doing his own, so not as refined as his 3D printed ones, as resin the shell has no detail (and it is not quiet symmetrical!) - so added some of my own ribs with plastic strip.  I also added a wood floor from left over pear strip from the second planking.  The 'clinker' build was simulated with card, something I have seen @Beef Wellington do on his superb builds, so shamelessly copied him! 😁  seats and capping rail also from pear.  I have added a "boat slide" for this on the deck of 'Nisha' and will fix at a later stage.

Next update will be back on the 'Nisha' starting the masts.

IMG_0356.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

This update, I have started on the main mast and bowsprit.  I had not attached the deadeyes and chain plates until I had roughly done the main mast, so I could use a thread to align the chain plates with the shrouds to be done later.  So this I duly did, but more remains to clean up the main mast and start attaching the various P.E. items.

Next up, where I have had a bit of a conundrum is the bowsprit.  Unless I'm being a bit thick the length by which the bowsprit protrudes out of the bows is not given in the instructions and the drawings of the yards are not to scale, so I consulted Edgar J March and his plans of the Nisha.  According to my scaling of the plans the bowsprit is 9.79m (32' 1.5") of which 6.27m (20' 7") or 98mm at 1/64 scale, is outboard, the remaining 55mm is inboard.  I have tapered the dowel and squared it off at the in inside (as per. details from March), but when fitting the bowsprit - it partially covers the front hatch, which I'm not sure is right?  Consulting @James H prototype build, James has the bowsprit further forward, so avoiding that.

Suggestions?  I would like to get this 'right', and hope I have not had a "whoops" moment! 😖😂

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0393.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0396.JPG

IMG_0397.JPG

Andrew I noticed that you're referencing March's drawing of the ketch rigged Master Hand for you bowsprit detail. I've not spent the time researching Nisha as you, I used March's mumble bee measurement on p202 and if I read correctly the 98mm outside mightn't be 104.8mm. If this is correct the 6mm would be more in line with prototype build. By no means am I an expert and please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

6 hours ago, niwotwill said:

Andrew I noticed that you're referencing March's drawing of the ketch rigged Master Hand for you bowsprit detail. I've not spent the time researching Nisha as you, I used March's mumble bee measurement on p202 and if I read correctly the 98mm outside mightn't be 104.8mm. If this is correct the 6mm would be more in line with prototype build. By no means am I an expert and please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Regards

Will

Hi Will, thanks for the input, page.202 lists the bowsprit as 32 foot so at 1/64 scale 153mm all fine and in line with my rough scaling of the book plans. Its the outboard portion that is causing me the issue with the heel over the fore hatch.  page 202 states 20 foot outboard, so 95mm verses my rough measure again of 98mm.

Yes I'm using the 'Master Hand' drawings as reference for details only, but keeping to Chris's dimension which match March's obviously.

Probably over thinking it, I have drilled some holes and added a cleat on the starboard side of the bitt for the 'heel rope'.  I think I will just mull on it while I finish the main mast and bowsprit then offer them up temporarily and temp use some thread for the stays to see how it "Looks" and decide then.  I might cut out some temp paper fore sails to help with this.  @niwotwill are the sail plans 1=1 scale on your Erycina, you have overlaid your dyed sails on, so hoping they are, not checked those yet on my Nisha plans.

My bad Andrew. Since nothing is attached to the heel of the bowsprit I just shorten it to agree with the prototype. (my opinion visual appearance overcome actual dimensions)

With Erycinas drawings I found them to be reduced by 16%. That being said I multiplied measured dimensions by 1.16.

What I found was sails about 1/8" longer along the mast.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

27 minutes ago, chris watton said:

Be cautious if using Master Hand for dimensions, Nisha is much smaller than that, Master Hand is more Erycina size.

I haven’t used the dimensions for ‘Master hand’, just the detail sketches for little details, stuck to your dimensions for the masts etc. which of course tie in with March and the plans he based his work on. It is just the 20ft, outboard given in March on the bowsprit leaves the inboard portion over the fore hatch, which is not as James had it in the prototype build.  Just a query, hoping not to lay down problems now for me later on. 

Andrew I've got something for you to noodle on. The main & mizzen sails exactly matches the length of their gaffs and masts. Just something to further the parts rather than the drawings.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

On 1/20/2022 at 8:57 PM, AJohnson said:

Update tonight of the hull now it has been painted.  There are some minor areas to touch-up (as usual with my painting! 😮); where I have not quite got the masking right, but overall I think this is fairly close to what I wanted to achieve and looks similar to B.M. 45 "Pilgrim" in post #47, the black is Sovereign Paints' "Bomber black" which is not jet black, I think it looks like a slightly worn black paint which I personally like.  I will seal everything in a matt varnish at a later stage.

Also made a start on painting a few of the small parts.

Next up need to add the deck and start on fixing all those fiddly little bulwark stanchions! 

Plus work on going on the little ship's boat...

Thanks all for your continued likes and comments.

IMG_0362.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

terrific looking paint job Anderw. Are you using brushes and or airbrush. If so can I ask what equipment you are using. Very professional. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

5 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

terrific looking paint job Anderw. Are you using brushes and or airbrush. If so can I ask what equipment you are using. Very professional. Best regards Dave

Thanks Dave, I used an Airbrush for the painting of the hull.  Used my Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR plus and Sovereign Model paints. It will inevitably need touching up as I finish the hull then varnish when completed. (I’m a messy so and so when building! 😅)

• 3 weeks later...

Had a break from working on the Nisha, as the Admiral has had me decorating my Daughter's bedroom at the moment, so time for building models has been restricted, but have managed to sneak a few visits to the workbench to do some painting of the crew figures and assorted boxes/barrels I got as accessories from Chris.  May yet add some fish in the larger open crate, just thinking on how to make some fish. 🤔

Hope to be back doing the mast and adding updates soon.  Thanks for looking in.

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

Andrew

Fantastic what more can be said. Tell me how you weathered the boxes? The colors are correct (really period correct) do you mix your own colors? You've got to finish the remodel of daughters bedroom and get back at Nisha. I'm feeling better and getting more strength from covid and can't even imagine how people in the hospital feel.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

Hi Will,

Thanks, yes I tend to mix my paints from standard enamel paints, the boxes all start out with an undercoat of a 'dark earth' colour, then the next coat is the same 'dark earth' plus a variation of 'rust' reds or 'cream' colours to vary the colours of each box or barrel slightly. When that is dry is I then applied a dark 'walnut wash' that highlighted a few of the inner edges and fine lines within the parts.  Finally a 'dry coat' of a cream/tan lightly brushed over to hint at the effect of wear and tear of the boxes been used and 'fresh' wood then visible at edges/corners.

There is a bit of mix of finishes on them at the moment; satin etc. (and the crew)  so think the whole lot will get a light spray of matt varnish along with most of the rest of the build later.

Okay, so there is something distinctly fishy about this update....

I have made some 🐟 to go in the lovely printed crates that I got from Chris that I painted in post #75.

However any Fishermen 🎣 here on the MSW need to look away now! ....nothing to see here.... for fear I might do you all a mischief as you burst in fits of laughter!

You have been warned if you read further....

>

>

>

So these little beauties are the not so well know species of 🐡 called the "North Sea Cocktail stick fish", you get about 14 to the stick by cutting them about 10mm long, putting in the chuck of a drill and spinning them on sandpaper a bit to get a roughly 🐠 shape and then slicing them lengthways to get two and a flattened back so I could stick fins on them made of card.

A spray of silver followed by some highlights in "gunmetal" and black to add a hint of detail and a few eyes and we are done.

The plan is to stack these in the boxes with the best looking ones to the top.

Note, to those of you who have been doing this hobby long enough will recognise the above as someone avoiding doing the next bit of their build they are not looking forward to, by mucking about and doing this sort of thing!  😆

Oh well, stopping blocks to eyelets and masts it is then... 🤔

Hope no one is on the floor in pain now after this post.... 😂

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_E0427.JPG

IMG_E0428.JPG

IMG_E0430.JPG

IMG_E0431.JPG

Edited by AJohnson

1 hour ago, AJohnson said:

Okay, so there is something distinctly fishy about this update....

You have been warned if you read further....

>

>

>

So these little beauties are the not so well know species of 🐡 called the "North Sea Cocktail stick fish", you get about 14 to the stick but cutting them about 10mm long, putting in the chuck of a drill and spinning them on sandpaper a bit to get a roughly 🐠 shape and then slicing them lengthways to get two and a flattened back so I could stick fins on them made of card.

I absolutely LOVE these! 🤣

I am currently obsessing over the photo of the Pilgrim, and wondering if I can pull off the scuppers with the same good looking result you have. I am going to remain patient. And enjoy the process of getting to that point. I should have listened to yourself, and Mr. Watton on flexing the sub-deck...as I have a small bit of micro chisel work to attend to...

I cannot wait to see your Nisha plucking those wily Cocktail Stick fish from the deeps!

Those are some cool looking cocktail fish!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

On 1/12/2022 at 3:26 PM, AJohnson said:

But with your comment above you started an itch I couldn't shake when you mentioned the scuppers, as you say very obvious on the "Pilgrim" (BM45)  and shown on many of March's sketches and sections,  but how to include them?  I briefly flirted with trying to reproduce full length scuppers as the picture above, but then thought better of it as this would weaken the bulwarks in the kit too much I thought.  So I settled on sectional ones, between bulwark stanchions; that I have seen on some sailing trawlers.  So I set to with my Dremel and thinnest file I possess, admittedly my scuppers are a bit too wide, come out probably nearer 2" than 1" at scale

IMG_0332.JPG

I am very near decision time on adding the scuppers or not. I think I possess the patience to pull it off, but I think I need to look ahead a bit more at if the full length scuppers make sense as you said: to not compromise the bulwark/kit integrity. Do you stand firm in your decision to not go full length? I mean zero disrespect to the quite obviously talented designer, but in looking at both your Pilgrim photo, and your painted model photos...I find myself thinking that the addition of the scuppers really help the model "pop" and look sharp. 
As to scaling...I will have to take myself to to some self-schooling and peruse some more. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy handy of Marsh's book to study Nisha a bit more--as I don't want to straight rip you off either. 🤣 I do wonder though...if attempting to stay near scale would diminish the visual effect? Arrrgghh. I would be most appreciative of your thoughts, if any on this topic.
Imagine...designing a beautiful kit to have a rank amateur like myself ponder making this move...Art is pain. 

Andrew you asked about rigging and specifically serving as shown in March's photos and Master Hand drawings, I've decided to leave the kit as designed. Meaning I'll use the furnished lines and not attempt modeling originality by making my own rope, serving as shown. Also with the down time reading Sail Trawlers I see a few things that could be done to model originally. (specifically chapters 5 & 6)

Thank you for your kind words about covid. I've only spent a couple hours in the shop as I still get very tired. Tuesday was a bad day as I again had a fever with the aches but not as bad as the first this one only up to 101.6. Again thank you,

Will

Current Build:

On Hold:

Completed Build:

@Grey I didn’t go for full length scuppers because I only thought about them after I had built the hull, a bit of fore thought and I think it could be done. To stop the bulwarks flexing I think some of the bulwark stanchions could converted into ‘structural’ pieces by glueing and pinning to the deck, but to help in this perhaps a bit of local thickening under the false deck at the perimeter for there to be more for the pinned stanchions to attach to, but this obviously needs planning and doing before the planking is done. I don’t think all stanchions would need this modification, think perhaps half a dozen equally spaced on each side might be enough. 
I know what you mean about builders attacking Chris’s lovely kits and doing modifications, I hope he doesn’t mind, but I do know I am only able to try these things as the underlying kit is of such quality I don’t get frustrated doing the ‘basics’ and can get all “creative” 🤣 where I want to. 

This evening I've been putting the fish in their crates; saving a little one for the ship's dog of course! also experimenting with making a "crowded" deck.

Also had a very unsuccessful attempt to use 'Letraset' rub on lettering, nope that won't work!  Some rubbing down and repainting of the hull black now in order.  Now need to research into alternatives... possibly print my own, just toying with the possibility on a renaming operation here...

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0449.JPG

IMG_0448.JPG

Andrew: What a cracking result, a really unique and lovely boat you have crafted. The fish in a box are great, so is everything really. 

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.

Outstanding work, Andrew! I love the crew, the fish in the boxes and the barrels on the deck. The crew members are great. Where did you find them?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild