Name the Ship Game

RMS Olympic

Okay, it the lake freighter 'Nanticoke' operated by Canada Steamship Lines?

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Okay, how about 'George E. Starr' ?

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I just googled the pic 

When you say "I just googled the pic" do you mean you spent ages trying different 'key' words based on the available information searching google images?

or 

Uploaded Andy's picture or URL in to 'Search Images' and let google do the work?

I am relatively new to this game but believe there is an unwritten agreement that the 2nd method is generally frowned upon. Unless the picture is from someones own private library it kind of makes the game pointless.

my 2 cents worth.

Slog

@Captain Slog:

Actually the best part of this game is that someone points us a ship, first as a mystery photo, then in the process of finding which ship is that we find an interesting history regarding her. So googling a photo isn't frowned upon, yet all those which know it's so easy to find it that way use photos from other sources so that googling comes with no results!

For instance, the mystery photo posted by our friend Spyglass shows a very interesting ship for me.. looks like 17th to 18th century... my favourite period...  so where this wonder is?

Later edit: I think I found her... she is the "Peggy", an armed yacht of 1791 (so I was right with 18th century haha)

She was found in a cellar in 1936 an now is a key exhibit in the Castletown Maritime Museum in Manx.

@Spyglass: thank you very much for pointing us this... a VERY interesting thing!

Edited by Doreltomin

Hi Doreltomin,

I think you misunderstand my concerns.

I use Google Images to search for mystery ships.  For Andy's example I would type in "Side Wheel Paddle Steamer" or a combination of words related to the mystery ship and then search the images to see what it brings up.  If I find an image which looks right I will check some other sites until I think I have the answer.  This is not what I am talking about as being 'wrong'.

What I am talking about is just 'uploading' Andy's image into the 'Search Image' function of Google Images and a few seconds later Google giving me the answer.  Where is the fun in that!  I could get the correct ship name right 99% of the time doing this.  Only way not to 'win' this way is if someone got there 1st.

For Spyglass's 'manboat' image, it took less than 2 minutes to download the image to my desktop, rotate the picture 10 degrees clockwise, upload it to the Search images function in Google Images and then for it to give me the website to get the name just to see how easy it can be.  I never knew about the 'Search Image' function until very recently but still choose not to use it for 'competition' sake but if I am not playing in the spirit of the game then I apologise to all.

I'll get back in my box now.

Slog

Edited by Captain Slog

Hello Captain Slog,

It is certainly easy to find a ship this way, yet I am very grateful to Spyglass that he pointed to us this interesting boat. I could have never known there is such a thing would he have not posted that mystery photo.

Then, as I have said previously, the only answer to the "image search" scheme is to put in a mystery photo from your own collection so that Google comes with no significant result. Just wait for my next mystery and you will see :)

Slog,

That doesn't often work and the more intrepid players alter the pic... remove background, flags, etc.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Didn't have a clue on any of the last few.

But.....

Where's the next one???

Thanks

Ted

Calm Seas and Fair Winds

On the ways:   HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina

Launched:       Scottish Maid - Artesania Latina

On the Shelf:   Minature lifeboat - Model Shipways

Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

Emma C.Berry - Model Shipways

It would appear that it's Doreltomin's turn to post... Spyglass has final say since it was his ship picture.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello all,

Yes it is my turn since Spyglass said I was correct in guessing she was the Peggy. Spyglass, I am very grateful to you for pointing me this, I didn't know the history of this interesting schooner. Just imagine the surprise of that people finding the ship in the cellar, like a time capsule!

We now turn to the next mystery photo. Which ship is this?

post-4317-0-76740500-1403509904_thumb.jpg

Hello Jan,

I'm glad my little mystery stirred your interest! It is surely a ship and not just a part of her, although here she is shown in the building yard, without masts and other superstructures. Just think who pioneered such ship shapes, and when... 

Edited by Doreltomin

Resembles Jabba's sail barge from Star Wars VI  :rolleyes:

post-70-0-52817300-1403537389_thumb.jpg

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Hello Jan,

You got the correct country and should look several years earlier. And by the way, have you noticed the bowsprit at the right side of the picture? And there's also a rudder under the hull in the left side!

@DFellingham: Actually these guys from Star Wars must have inspired themselves from somewhere and these odd looking hulls of the Nouvelle Ecole would have made good examples!

Hello Hexnut, she is neither the Marengo nor a floating battery, she's a two masted gunboat. Moreover, I did not use the present tense incidentally. She still exists... in a certain way. She was preserved, but in a diverse mode than those museum ships ^_^