I’m building the Mayflower by Billing Boats. I’m working on making the ships Grates because this is an older kit with plastic grates and I don’t like mixing plastic with wood. Plus I’m still what I call a semi-experienced builder but don’t have the $$$ to buy the expensive model tools I see in many of the build logs and NRG articles. So my question is what wood would you use to make the grates and outer frame around them? I have several basswood strips of various thickness. All the cutting I do is accomplished using a basic hand saw and/or Exacto knife. Thanks for any advice.

Edited by acaron41120

Allen

Current Builds: Mayflower - 1:60; Golden Hind - 1:50

Past Builds: Marie Jeanne, Bluenose, Bluenose II, Oseberg, Roar Ege,

Waiting to Build: Swift

Here are some pictures from Cheerful to show how relatively simple making frames ( coamings ) can be.

image.jpeg.33300595e19ae694992f6f755b5222bc.jpeg

The thickness of the wood would depend on your scale.

As for the gratings, John Fox ' method with cardstock might be your best option.  Those gratings can be a real challenge without a small table saw.

However a hobby saw with the correct kerf, could be an option with an appropriate jig to keep everything square.

You need to end up with parts that look like this:

image.png.cc7bfefec665f6ad5eb12a17a6d69233.png

There might be several ways to make these.

This method by DocBlake is one way

While the pieces above an be interleaved, you can use such pieces for every other layer, and lay battens across them.

image.png.05cf6c672efa73d957f03aa9d4691a1d.png

image.png.992341754c6aba24d9836c1eb38439eb.png

Doc Blake's example is large scale which would be easier than smaller scales..

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Given the situation, you can do them yourself so try that first.  If it fails or is just too frustrating, many suppliers have grating kits of the wood ready to be assembled, but not the coamings.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No matter the method you wind up using remember the gratings need to be solid on the periphery.  This sometimes ends giving slightly different overall dimensions than the plans, so make the gratings first, then make the head ledges and coamings to suit rather than trying to adjust the grating dimension to fit into the coaming.  Also, the battens should run fore and aft, not the ledges (not to be confused with the head ledges)

Allan

Gratings.JPG.e6736718e7d60f81bdabfe73f4e09ff4.JPG

1398358303_Gratings3.JPG.23abcfd5a22c079736ff10ce69011d67.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I don't know what scale your kit is but @Chuck sells a very easy to use grating kit complete with jig that is suitable for 3/16" or 1/4" scale. It's available at his Syren Shipmodel Company website priced very reasonably.

9 hours ago, acaron41120 said:

So my question is what wood would you use to make the grates and outer frame around them?

Maple, Beech, Birch, Holly*.  White Pine

Lime is really pushing it, but Basswood is too soft and fuzzy to provide a crisp look.

* I saw in the Wood Database that there is a European Holly.  This Holly is not the snow white color of American Holly.  It is actually a similar golden as is the first three above.  So, the use of the white Holly for deck planking is actually a misunderstanding.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

17 hours ago, acaron41120 said:

So my question is what wood would you use to make the grates and outer frame around them?

I have never had a problem using European boxwood, maple, or castello for the gratings, head ledges or coamings.  I have gone to Swiss pear for the coamings and head ledges in lieu of painting them red on several occasions.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU