So I was starting on adding my bulkheads on and went for the first one. Dry fitted it and it was perfect, took it back off and added the wood glue, stuck it on and it bound up and I couldn’t get it done or off without breaking something.  Any thoughts on how I might fix this screw up?

Did you use a PVA glue like Elmers yellow wood glue?  If so use a qtip soaked in isopropyl alcohol to swab the glue joint. If you used CA glue, then use acetone instead of isopropyl, give it time and repeated swabs till the glue softens. Don't try to rush it. A sharp blade run along the joint helps.

Edited by Jack12477

First, throw away the Gorilla Glue, or at least save it for other non-hobby uses. I don't know of anyway to soften that type of glue. You may have to carefully cut the two sides of the bulkhead free separately, and either remake it, or glue each side back on separately.

Just an observation: Gorilla as a brand offers several 'wood' glues besides the original urethane bubbling stuff. If the Gorilla Wood glue on your model is PVA based (it will say somewhere on the label) then it can be softened with IPA as described earlier. I have heard the Gorilla range now even includes a seccotine product.

Good luck, hope you keep us up to date with your progress.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

I use Gorilla brand PVA wood glue all the time.  Never a problem.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Glues, like paint, are simply chemical compounds.  Despite what the marketers want you to believe there is no magic.  It is helpful to try to get beyond the brand names; read the fine print!

Before using it, try to categorize your glue by generic type; PVA, CA, Epoxy, Urethane, etc.  Chances are all brands of a particular generic type will behave pretty much the same.

Roger

It would not surprise me if there was only one or two manufacturers of the basic chemical components - especially PVA - and all of the brand name suppliers just mix,  package and label.

But in the case of Gorilla  -  I am having unkind thoughts about the telephone sanitizer sort of mind that makes "Gorilla" so prominent in the nomenclature that the actual chemical nature can be confused among most every sort of chemical bonding agent available to the public. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I’ve done rebuilds and salvaged old wood (and other media) models before.

If you cannot dissolve the glue, cut through it with a pen knife (like an X-Acto knife), or a scalpel.  

Work very slowly and carefully to free the piece.

Make very shallow, very short cuts.

It will take a while, but it is doable.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I would not recommend Gorilla glue for model-making purposes. But you know that already. PVA (white glue) or aliphatic (yellow) is more than adequate for wood to wood bonding.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv