WWII Sunken German Warships Exposed by Drought

mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark Interesting, I wonder if the opportunity will be taken to remove them?  The costs would be very high though I would assume - I wonder if being submerged they have been protected from radioactive contamination, thus making their steel much more valuable.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Radioactive contamination?  What did I miss?

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Low background steel is to do with contamination with radiative nucleoids,  however it has to do with when the steel was produced  (pre-nuclear bomb testing) not where the steel has been or what conditions the steel has been under.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-background_steel

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Many components in modern labs and instruments use recovered steel and other metals from pre-nuclear testing wrecks, notably WW1 German ships which were scuttled in Scapa Flow.

NASA has an entire room made from 12inch armor plate, used to shield sensitive experiments from atmospheric background radiation. Few today appreciate that isotopes from the atmospheric testing remain, floating in today's environment. A sobering reminder.

These components have to be machined from the metal as recovered; if it is re smelted, then it becomes contaminated from the air all around us.

17 hours ago, BANYAN said:

Thanks Mark Interesting, I wonder if the opportunity will be taken to remove them?  The costs would be very high though I would assume - I wonder if being submerged they have been protected from radioactive contamination, thus making their steel much more valuable.

cheers

Pat

Perhaps they could be.  I don't think there would be an issue as they aren't war graves like some the ships have been salvaged in the Pacific.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Perhaps they could be.  I don't think there would be an issue as they aren't war graves like some the ships have been salvaged in the Pacific.

The problem is the possibility of UXO remaining on board. A risky and pricey salvage.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

3 hours ago, realworkingsailor said:

The problem is the possibility of UXO remaining on board. A risky and pricey salvage.

Andy

That's very much a problem.  They have no idea what munitions are still on board and their status.  I would hope that they somehow lined off the wrecks to keep souvenir hunters and urban explorers away. One article mentioned that some "experts" think they removed all the explosives before scuttling for use elsewhere.   But they really don't know for certain.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: