Mary Rose by Baker - scale 1/50 - "Your Noblest Shippe"

Posted (edited)
On 4/8/2024 at 9:45 PM, Snug Harbor Johnny said:

or a favorite of mine - "turned my head like a one eyed dog in a meat factory".

That sounds almost Australian. I might steal it.

Then there's the old "pollaxed" (NOT pole-axed - a poll axe was a real thing, with poll meaning head.)

image.png.76e28f01cd2c6f218dd7f1933358cbd1.png

I think being hit by one of these would certainly discombobulate you . . .

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

That  has really surprised  me  with  the  rear  outer upper  planks  being fitted  in a  Featheredge  way  by over lapping.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

17 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

think being hit by one of these would certainly discombobulate you . . .

In Flanders we call something like this "goedendag" or  "good day" ... bang... 

15 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

That  has really surprised  me  with  the  rear  outer upper  planks  being fitted  in a  Featheredge  way  by over lapping.

OC.

Me too ;) 

The cannon deck has been cleaned up a bit.

Not as it once was, but a bit cleaner if someone later looked in through any openings.

20240410_183745_1280.jpg.b969b6f5dafc422429405b58b745a0c0.jpg

Before I can continue, I first have to determine the base of the fore castle.
So first now thinking, searching, testing and try out 

20240410_183904_1280.jpg.503b4fd80dcc297040b9f937ea29ef8e.jpg

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

20 hours ago, Louie da fly said:

That sounds almost Australian. I might steal it.

Steven

You're welcome to it, mate.  Another one, when I've f...ed something up is that I feel "lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut."

Speaking of modern 'wagons', there is something I learned today about Outback conveyances like the one pictured below ...

image.png.18624f258f94811fe3884a950345281d.png

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

When I lived in Port Hedland (NW coast) the iron ore trains were 3 km (2 miles) long. One broke down in the middle of nowhere and a repair engine was sent to get it going again. Unfortunately, the location he was given was the far end of the train, so he slammed into it going umpty ump miles an hour, 3 km too early.

Steven

PS: Probably enough Australiana - back to our scheduled programme.

On 4/11/2024 at 3:17 AM, Baker said:

In Flanders we call something like this "goedendag" or  "good day" ... bang..

That's interesting - the goedendag is mentioned as being one of the most common weapons of the victorious Flemish army at the Battle of Courtrai (also known as the battle of the Golden Spurs because of the huge number of golden spurs looted from dead French knights), but a wooden chest commemorating the battle shows them like this:

image.png.05a35e8e5b5abdce645657830e5af965.png

And remnants have been found of the real thing: https://www.military-history.org/feature/medieval/the-goedendag-medieval-weaponry.htm

Of course Flemish re-enactors have adopted this nasty thing (though only for display purposes - much too nasty to really fight with)

image.png.aca18c65985ee0f9f2fb477a63b7ae02.png

Steven

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

That's interesting - the goedendag is mentioned as being one of the most common weapons of the victorious Flemish army at the Battle of Courtrai (also known as the battle of the Golden Spurs because of the huge number of golden spurs looted from dead French knights), but a wooden chest commemorating the battle shows them like this:

image.png.05a35e8e5b5abdce645657830e5af965.png

And remnants have been found of the real thing: https://www.military-history.org/feature/medieval/the-goedendag-medieval-weaponry.htm

Of course Flemish re-enactors have adopted this nasty thing (though only for display purposes - much too nasty to really fight with)

image.png.aca18c65985ee0f9f2fb477a63b7ae02.png

Steven

The Flemish army in 1302 consisted largely of volunteers from various Flemish cities.
Most members had to pay for their own weaponry. The most price-conscious item is a large piece of iron on a sturdy wooden stick.
The iron can have all the shapes of a thick pin, Into a ball full of small iron pins, whether or not attached to the wooden stick via a chain.

The intention is simple:
Get as close to the opponent as possible, give him a good whack and say hello (while staying safely away from his weapons...)

In our modern times:
try to shoot at the opponent without getting shot yourself. 

Difference??? It is as dangerous as it was 700 years ago..

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Back to Mary.

The fore castle.

How do you start building something that doesn't have a clear example of it?

First I enlarge the drawing from the books from 1/100th to 1/50th. This drawing is placed on the model at approximately the "correct" position.

20240411_084901_1280.jpg.336ba2a15f90861138fcd2c23c1a8dce.jpg

About the right height compared with the deck of the rear castle
And the base starts at about the right distance from cannon port M3

20240411_084920_1280.jpg.f36f7fdf537167a7dc8ea37b8311a9e7.jpg

And then we continue building in cardboard

20240411_190351_1280.jpg.1650cd9f56b287f051e13c5bbce0e9d3.jpg20240411_200550_1280.jpg.2aa6392dcf3a2d38fb2e0d81b5bfd274.jpg

There's a cardboard front castle, with a happy assistant on the top deck.

Of course I don't know if this form is correct. But the idea is to roughly recreate the ship on the cover of the book.

20240412_193352_1280.jpg.e7919185d13809f317bbb78c849ba9b8.jpg20240412_193416_1280.jpg.50ff728e4e1ba357cf547e92cc4c0253.jpg20240412_193424_1280.jpg.4fe481cf13068aa20c9d74d3509b541f.jpg

Regards, Patrick

What I yhink very curious is the enormous height of the fore castle. I can't imagine that a shipbuilder dared to go that high and indeed the ship seems to have tilted as a result.

It also catches a huge amount of wind.

Isn't the drawing that exists of it a very exaggerated representation of reality? That was often the custom at that time.

Wouldn't it be advisable to reconstruct the height to the human scale? So the deck heights do not exceed 170 cm, then with those three decks you get to a height of 510 cm plus the beam thicknesses that were still in between. Then it will be at most 60 cm higher. I would never go higher than 510 cm. But maybe that's also the height you calculated yourself because I don't know the scale exactly.

Constant

23 minutes ago, tartane said:

What I yhink very curious is the enormous height of the fore castle. I can't imagine that a shipbuilder dared to go that high and indeed the ship seems to have tilted as a result.

It also catches a huge amount of wind.

Isn't the drawing that exists of it a very exaggerated representation of reality? That was often the custom at that time.

Wouldn't it be advisable to reconstruct the height to the human scale? So the deck heights do not exceed 170 cm, then with those three decks you get to a height of 510 cm plus the beam thicknesses that were still in between. Then it will be at most 60 cm higher. I would never go higher than 510 cm. But maybe that's also the height you calculated yourself because I don't know the scale exactly.

Constant

Back when MR was first constructed, that was the way warships were built. Cannon, being hard to aim and slow to load, the tactics were to fire a broadside, get close and board and generally, having the highest "castle" at the fore or stern helped you win. It wasn't until the Armada that the English pioneered fighting in lower and more maneuverable ships. That change came along with the change in tactics that called for fighting artillery duels instead of hand-to-hand combat. One of the debates about MR is whether or not they cut her down during the course of her career as they rebuilt her and increased her compliment of heavier guns. 

Under construction: Mamoli Roter Lowe

Completed builds: Constructo Enterprise, AL Le Renard

Up next: Panart Lynx, MS Harriet Lane

In need of attention: 14-foot Pintail in the driveway

Posted (edited)

I agree with Patrick and Stevinne. This was a very common size for forecastles at this time - see https://www.pinterest.com.au/lowe1847/great-carracksnaos/ - beginning as a quite low structure the forecastle got bigger and bigger and more unwieldy, presumably to give advantage in boarding/deterring boarding. It probably made the ships very crank, and this plus the adoption of big guns which made boarding a less vital part of normal tactics, probably led to the adoption of the lower sleeker galleon.

Of course I could be biased. Here's the forecastle of my own Great Harry, Mary Rose's big sister.

image.png.eafc9e1a5aa42663a15c2c3644b6da10.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

All those images don't convince me. We will have to wait until a wreck is excavated where the fore castle is still visible.

At the time that these images were made, it was customary to depict everything more proudly and it was unimportant whether it was correct. See also, for example, the Mataro ship in Rotterdam, where it has been established that it could not sail in that form at all.

Constant

The whole idea of building the castle in cardboard first is to see if this setup is realistic.

Taking into account the tactics at the time (boarding), this high structure is logical.
And the aft and fore castle are of a lighter construction than the hull, so the center of gravity remains good

The first intention is to determine where the fore castle starts. Let's say the foundation of the castle.
Otherwise I cannot continue with further construction of the front hull.

Regards, Patrick

2 hours ago, tartane said:

We will have to wait until a wreck is excavated where the fore castle is still visible.

I don't think I'll live long enough to experience an event like this 😇

Regards, Patrick

5 hours ago, Baker said:

I don't think I'll live long enough to experience an event like this 😇

I remember reading somewhere, maybe in response to questions on a Facebook post by the MR museum, that there are currently no plans to uncover and raise more of the remaining parts of the ship. I think the last thing they raised was what remained of the stem post, but that was decades ago. It is a shame, since it might settle the debates about what the ship looked like in the end once and for all.

Patric,

To find out as much as possible, I think you have to divide the images that exist into two categories.

The first is the collection of images depicting the ships actually sailing around, i.e. in the 16th century.

The second is the collection of images that were made after the ships disappeared. So those drawings are based on the drawings that were already there and if they were not right, the imagination went further and further.

So you shouldn't take that second category seriously

I have experienced this clearly in my long-term research on the chebec, a Latin-rigged ship that sailed in the Mediterranean from about the year 1700 to about 1840. The drawings that were made at that time were very correct, and were made by a few draughtsmen who had also sailed on them.  But after 1840 there are fanciful depictions of painters who were not familiar with these ships but who sketched a romantic and very exaggerated picture from the existing drawings. This was the reason why models of these ships were suddenly made long after 1840, which also ended up in the maritime museum in Paris. Those models were wrong and can still be seen there. There are curious flaws in it. Unfortunately, manufacturers of construction kits then started measuring those models, so that there are now construction kits on the market that give a completely wrong picture of those ships.  There are a lot of things wrong and I never understand why the builders themselves don't see this.

This also came up again and again in my research into the cog.

If you wish, I would like to help you in this search. I admire your work in details.

Constant

17 hours ago, Stevinne said:

I remember reading somewhere, maybe in response to questions on a Facebook post by the MR museum, that there are currently no plans to uncover and raise more of the remaining parts of the ship. I think the last thing they raised was what remained of the stem post, but that was decades ago. It is a shame, since it might settle the debates about what the ship looked like in the end once and for all.

The last piece raised was indeed the remaines  of the stempost.

The MR museum website has a contact page.

You can ask all what you want to know,  they don't answer....

Regards, Patrick

1 hour ago, tartane said:

Patric,

To find out as much as possible, I think you have to divide the images that exist into two categories.

The first is the collection of images depicting the ships actually sailing around, i.e. in the 16th century.

The second is the collection of images that were made after the ships disappeared. So those drawings are based on the drawings that were already there and if they were not right, the imagination went further and further.

So you shouldn't take that second category seriously

I have experienced this clearly in my long-term research on the chebec, a Latin-rigged ship that sailed in the Mediterranean from about the year 1700 to about 1840. The drawings that were made at that time were very correct, and were made by a few draughtsmen who had also sailed on them.  But after 1840 there are fanciful depictions of painters who were not familiar with these ships but who sketched a romantic and very exaggerated picture from the existing drawings. This was the reason why models of these ships were suddenly made long after 1840, which also ended up in the maritime museum in Paris. Those models were wrong and can still be seen there. There are curious flaws in it. Unfortunately, manufacturers of construction kits then started measuring those models, so that there are now construction kits on the market that give a completely wrong picture of those ships.  There are a lot of things wrong and I never understand why the builders themselves don't see this.

This also came up again and again in my research into the cog.

If you wish, I would like to help you in this search. I admire your work in details.

Constant

Thanks. All help is welcome. 

Remember the cardboard setup is just a test for the  moment.

Indeed. Building my previous model, i discovered that a lot of info and paintings are incorrect.

Regards, Patrick

If you look for images from the 15th century, you will also come across this. There the bow is considerably lower and that seems logical to me in many respects. The captain and the helmsman now have a good view forward, which seems to me to be very useful in a naval battle. The bow now catches less wind.

The excessively high bow of the MR seems to me very clumsy when boarding an enemy. The soldiers have to jump from very high to get on the deck of the other ship, I think I would break my legs.

The highest guns have to shoot down, which seems to me to be rather impossible with the primitive cannons of the time.

1576BraunenHogeberg.jpg.638b791b193fa4b19e2c2949738024e5.jpg

joaodecastro1541(2).jpg.a0c1c7a6d6a9502140c38ef2155a0958.jpg

Joaodecastro1541.jpg.4401d7275370021423644fbfc4c605c7.jpg

Constant

Posted (edited)

I've seen these images before. 

20240417_123108.thumb.jpg.e921a7d0bb40e455b73b9eee996f4d12.jpg

This isn’t a carrack.

20240417_123035.thumb.jpg.48720adfae7dd58321ac0a06fcf99876.jpg

Carracks from mr. Breugel with high castles.

20240417_123001.thumb.jpg.7a6085f0e9652eead7e7da280a64dbea.jpg

And a wel know image of a typical Carrack 

20240417_123845.thumb.jpg.92b83e5db5e80ea8916a5175a9bbba4b.jpg

In the MR book there is an inventory (from the year 1514) of the cannons and their position on the decks in several ships. 

All the large ships (4 of them) have at least 2 decks in the fore castle 

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

Do the inventory lists say anything about what type of guns in the bow fort were?

In many contemporary images of carracks, the gun barrels look as if they could be rotating bases, i.e. cannons mounted in fork mounts. such would allow downward shots.

I also think that the longbow was the far more effective weapon in this era, and an elevated shooting position was an advantage.

Should boarding the enemy over the shrouds be reconsidered instead of jumping into the depths?

...but I'm not a warrior.

Or, dropping a rope and sliding down.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Posted (edited)

I'd think the forecastle guns were either swivels or what were known as hailshot pieces - light cannon almost like large guns that the shooter would hold while resting the front of the barrel on the rail. This would make sense since some hailshot pieces were found on the wreck. The Anthony Roll and this painting of Henry's court heading to France for the Field of Cloth of Gold show the ports on the focsle, but don't have any guns protruding from them.

soldiers-hailshotpiece.jpg

Embarkation.jpg

Edited by Stevinne

Posted (edited)

Since I'm starting the fore castle earlier than planned, I haven't looked at this properly yet.

According to what I have read briefly, it should look like it is drawn on the cover of the MR book.
2 light cannons and all the are rest swivels, or hail shot pieces 

Screenshot_20240417_182649_Chrome.jpg.cb419b1f3910fa1234c30a45551956ef.jpg

Edited by Baker

Regards, Patrick

In the meantime, i continued with the fore castle basis.

This time I checked in time whether any problems will arise with the schrouds.

20240415_140133_1280.thumb.jpg.e440f1ca58a34b4f88a54d3614363524.jpg

So yes, my cardboard structure was much too wide at the top. Error corrected just in time.

20240415_140117_1280.thumb.jpg.0cecc0cae45509a0a1c94ed1f62945a7.jpg

The base starts at an angle of 45° following the (few) remains of the fore castle. And then with a curve upwards. As always too high or too long, shortening later is easier than lengthening.

20240415_194551_1280.jpg.a47672a9ab8a570abfbea2537965b803.jpg

Applying the second was a little more challenging.

20240416_130759_1280.thumb.jpg.3f458bed5eecaf0362e6fa4bc3321bf9.jpg20240416_130828_1280.jpg.9c5e75a24cbb1d2357d0102a3b4b9b0b.jpg20240416_130843_1280.jpg.5f5c4b5133d01555e81ee0b1eea9dd2e.jpg
Additional temporary supports were then installed. And i continued with finishing the waist. 

20240417_133624_1280.jpg.ae0df64dbeff559ce99874777903e3ee.jpg
Gluing done on starboard side, now on to port side. Sanding is for later.

20240417_191810_1280.jpg.56ce1dc6dcf68b0bdbf9344bf4438aa8.jpg

Regards, Patrick

On 4/17/2024 at 3:26 PM, Alvb said:

Do the inventory lists say anything about what type of guns in the bow fort were?

In many contemporary images of carracks, the gun barrels look as if they could be rotating bases, i.e. cannons mounted in fork mounts. such would allow downward shots.

I also think that the longbow was the far more effective weapon in this era, and an elevated shooting position was an advantage.

Should boarding the enemy over the shrouds be reconsidered instead of jumping into the depths?

...but I'm not a warrior.

There is an inventory on wikisource.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Anthony_Roll

In three parts.

Part one, Carracks 

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Anthony_Roll/First_roll

Regards, Patrick

Well, that's where we are at the moment.

20240420_100822_1280.jpg.6f5c91bf92f5f0a31d55c5b2922af629.jpg

I think the books have some errors...
Standard 81T0833

20240420_100908_1280.thumb.jpg.be907ab8a1fd97e571ac01a1c615daa3.jpg

This arrangement is therefore not correct at all.

20240420_100937_1280.thumb.png.1c22103b7abc13d8fa16e23b73078ef7.png

And is shamelessly copied in the next book.

20240420_101023_1280.jpg.58dfb669a4eff430dfde2403b7183919.jpg

And this is what it actually looks like in the drawing.

A channel or rigging rail a little bit lower.20240420_101045_1280.jpg.697cea950b7bad3e5c1f56eb2a440adb.jpg

The Calderkraft model also follows this arrangement. Thanks @Mr Pleasant 

And so does our Russian colleague.

https://www.shipmodeling.ru/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=71379  thanks @firdajan

IMG_2720.thumb.JPG.b24919cbdc3ca5239b17151b51365ed7.JPG

next
horizontal planking or curved straight
Most from this period seem to go for horizontal.
The curved straight ones are starting to become a bit old-fashioned in this period, it seems to me

20240420_101407_1280.jpg.b5721ce88b096f759128cc8a9a310f4c.jpg

Thanks for following

Regards, Patrick