Thank you for having me aboard!

JoeMacD

Hello and my name is Joe, I recently turned 60 and due to some personal injuries, I've had to slow down some on some of my hobbies. I build and fly remote control giant scale aircraft most of the time. but due to job position changes and personal injuries not allowing me to lift heavy objects. Ever since I was a little boy, I was fascinated with sailing ships, along with WW2 airplanes. I've built many plastic models over the years.  When I was 10 years old, I built and fully rigged with sails the REVELL USS CONSTITUTION. I was very proud of that ship. the family had to move across country from New York to California and I had to leave the models behind. 

Back in the 90's I had purchased the Swift double POF kit along with the solid hull phantom kit. I have started both kits back then but never finished them. I also purchased the Mamoli USS CONSTITUTION kit back then but looked but have not attempted to build it yet. So, on my 60th birthday this past January I purchased the Model Shipways 3 in one starter kit and built the Grand Banks Dory, and almost finished with the Norwegian sailing pram. My reasoning for this is I want to warm up my skills so to speak so eventually I can build a quality USS CONSTITUTION, something I can be proud of. I have posted my latest boats, once finished with the 3rd boat in the kit I'll finish the Swift and Phantom. Then I'll move on to the recently purchased "Fair American" then on to the USS CONSTITUTION. I'm enjoying the peacefulness of the hobby, it's not as stressful as building a 1/5 scale WW2 warbird with retracts and gas engine and have something go wrong and crash a 2–3-thousand-dollar investment. Another benefit i enjoy is the history behind the ships they have lives of their own and the history of the men that crewed and commanded them. Like Horatio Nelson I have learned so much about him and the British Naval history. maybe one day there's a HMS VICORY in my future.    

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

IMG_2720.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2799.JPG

Welcome to MSW, Joe.  Sweet looking little boat you have there.  Do start a build log on your current build as it's a great way to get help and meet other modelers.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Joe and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have built some nice looking models.  Your skills from your RC aircraft build days will definitely help you as you start your journey in building wooden ship models.  We are glad to have you aboard this forum.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Hi Joe, welcome to the forum. Your Dory and Pram look exceptional. Hopefully one day you’ll be able to post some pictures of your RC aircraft.

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

Welcome aboard. looks like your almost ready for the ready for the Constitution, The Fair American will be a good stepping stone.    

Welcome aboard Joe.  Beautiful work that you posted!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

4 hours ago, BenD said:

Welcome aboard. looks like your almost ready for the ready for the Constitution, The Fair American will be a good stepping stone.    

Hello Ben, the rope on the front and back of my Dory is from Ropes of Scale! 
thank you they are great!, I will also be using them on my Pram , 👍😎

15 minutes ago, JoeMacD said:

thank you they are great!, I will also be using them on my Pram , 👍😎

Oh yeah, that does look like my light beige rope! 

I'll be looking for the build log of the pram.

7 hours ago, JoeMacD said:

thank you they are great!, I will also be using them on my Pram

The pram for a starter and rope versus string.   Sounds like you did your research.  Kudos!!!!

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Welcome to MSW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Wood Builds

HMS Victory Cross Section 

Future Wood Builds

18th Century Longboat-Model Shipways

America Cup Endeavour Kit-Amati

1/50 san Fransisco II Cross Section- Artesania Latina

1910 American Fishing Schooner Elsie-Model Shipways

1/100 Korean Turtle Warship