Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Freebird - Syren Ship Model Company - 1/48

First, let me say that I’m enjoying this build immensely! Next, I thought the gun ports were a pain, they ain’t got anything on the 2 ports in the transom, but I got’er done. I cut the ports from the stern template and used double-sided tape to position them on the frames. I also clamped a 5/16” board in between the 2 X frames to stabilize them. Four hours later, the ports are framed, lots of measurements taken to ensure they were equally positioned in relation to each other. The Byrnes disc sander is a huge asset for this type of work. This is my first time building a stern like this and I’m really pleased at the results. I’m really enjoying this build! Wait, I think I already said that, but it bears repeating. 

Best Regards …. Rick

3AB53672-03BA-4B78-A1E4-0EFDA0C83A1B.jpeg

A6DC4D58-1257-4FF0-818F-4432D82BE2E9.jpeg

E1638A55-25BE-471C-904E-4015E7FC6B82.jpeg

2C8524EC-3155-4671-8922-9E87821E298E.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

The builds coming along great, I enjoyed Chucks design a lot. There's plenty of good building time ahead 😉

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Well, UPS just dropped off a fairly large and heavy box. I forgot that my birthday is a week away and my Admiral surprised me with a fantastic and unexpected gift, a Byrnes table saw and some accessories! Holy sawdust Batman! She knows that I’ve really gotten into ship modeling and how much I’m enjoying building. She also knows the value of quality tools. She’s a keeper!

Best Regards …. Rick

7C070072-09D5-4593-8346-35364588DCE1.jpeg

CD403A2E-1DBC-4FD0-AE6C-6657B59EB992.jpeg

Edited by Freebird

I’ve had mine since 2008, great tool. next up is the Proxxon mill, my third favorite tool after the sander and the saw. Then of course there is the thickness sander…

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I believe you have a slight bend or dip upward towards.  See the red line for a tweak.  But its not bad at all.   Try this exercise with an image to help you see the dips as well if you have a program that would work.

freebird.jpeg

I just imported your photo into Corel Draw and drew a smooth curved line over it.   Any drawing program will work.  I am pretty sure you could do this in Microsoft word as well.

Here’s todays progress, the wales and molding strip have been installed on the port side and the lower wale is installed on the starboard side. I’m amazed by the amount of work necessary to get this far, I’m mentally fatigued for sure. For the molding strip, I made a jig that worked pretty good at making a 1/64” rabbet on the bottom of the gun ports. The jig pictures are self explanatory. 

I’d like to thank everyone for the likes and to Chuck for pointing the wale run was a little off. 

Best Regards …. Rick

IMG_3339.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

IMG_3340.jpeg

IMG_3341.jpeg

IMG_3342.jpeg

IMG_3343.jpeg

IMG_3344.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I took some time off to do some much needed yard work. Now I’m back and added the 2 strakes between the molding strip and the wales. Without referencing the practicum I slapped them in. While they look good, it didn’t look “right”. So, I went back and read the practicum and see where my mistake is. My dilemma is rip do I them off and start over, or leave as is? I’ve only done the port side and is most obvious at the stem. Deep down I know what the answer is, but wanted some feedback. 

Best Regards …. Rick

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

Hi Rick, maybe you could try trimming the plank under the front gunport so that the 1/16” strip sits where it’s supposed to. If that doesn’t work you might be able to just remove it back to the second port

Regards……..Paul 

Completed Builds   Glad Tidings Model Shipways. -   Nordland Boat. Billings Boats . -  HM Cutter Cheerful-1806  Syren Model Ship Company. 

I almost literally planked 3 full sides of a hull on my Cheerful. You know the answer, rip it off and do it again.  In the long run you’ll be proud of your decision to do so. Trying to force it to work is probably more difficult than pulling back to do it over. Just a heads up, it likely isn’t the last time you’ll want to do something again. I sometimes feel like the first time is just practice. It’s not a race. 

How’s that for the feedback you requested😊🙄

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Guys, thanks for the encouragement and the ideas. Also to all of you guys for the likes, much appreciated!

Glenn - I have read your Cheerful log many times, and with this in mind, I ripped off the offending planks. Like Chuck does (BTW Chuck, I hope you’re getting better quickly!), I use CA and only glue the plank to the bulkhead, much easier to remove. 

Paul - thanks for pointing out the molding on the aft side on the gun port is too high. It was located correctly before I removed the scrap from the opening. Another error to fix. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Glen - what pain, hardest part was making the decision and making the first cut. After that, business as usual. Already completed the lower strake and working on the upper strake. Looks better than before, but we’ll see when the strakes are completed. These are lessons learned and probably like your Cheerful, I’ll have 3 sides before I’m done. 

Best Regards …. Rick

Have completed the port strakes from the wales to the molding. Certainly not perfect, but better. I can really see how fairing and having all of your planks the same thickness  is a requirement. I’ve done a light sanding and can see mostly dips where the planks are a little thinner, it really stands out and makes a huge difference. Good thing I like to sand. 😏

Best Regards …. Rick

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3406.jpeg

IMG_3405.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

• The title was changed to Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Freebird - Syren Ship Model Company - 1/48