DKM Bismarck by Lillypawz - Hachette

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0eraTS81XtrdzuhdE5dfc7YBues4ETkVGwevE68KEVXnYvt2vCLPwdYebCNVMaZkvl&id=100000244860520

My Father passed away and I promised to finish the ship he was building.  He lost his mental capacity and by time I reconnected with him he said it was the bismark.  Unfortunately from the plans of various ships none match the hull he has built or the parts that he has assembled.

Know it a long shot but can anyone point me in the possible direction of what ship it might be as it clearly not the bismark.  Once identified I can reorder plans etc and hopefully fulfill my promise.

Hello Lilly

Clicking on the link you posted did nothing.  Can you take a few photos and post it here?

Thanks

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

1.26cm long and 18.5cm wide at widest point can supply other measurements if it helps to narrow search guessing the circles are gun mounts that I'm hoping someone will go oh that's the .......

Then my journey into model building can begin yep never done this before.  Odd airfix but nothing like this so...

I have made no attempt to cross check or identify the parts, but my thought process if I were to do so were that his (close but unreliable) recall was "The Bismark", which suggests checking against her consort during her raiding mission Prince Eugen, or 'a German battleship' - which could include Scharnhorst/Gneisenau. Unlikely to be Tirpitz if she looks nothing like Bismark, less likely to be the Deutschland class because of the Atlantic bow.

I believe your father was correct on the ship's identity. If no box came with the kit (and it is indeed a kit), it's possible the model is a Hachette parts work kit, which is still in production. Parts work kits are sold as subscriptions consisting of a series of sub-assemblies, rather like chapters in a book. If you can deduce where your father left off with the construction sequence, you can still get the missing chapters from Hachette.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Thanks ccoyle I'll have a look the width didn't seem right when you look at how wide the bismark is but I'm a complete newbie so will look into Hackett and see if they can assist.

Hopefully I might like doing it and see my other creations in future.  And advice on where a new modeller should start also welcome 

EDIT: In the time I took to write the comment below, other discussion rendered part of it moot. Still posting in case it helps nudge discussion toward any further clarification. For example, sales or credit card receipts might help you figure out what he bought and when.

It would be really helpful to have more information. You know more than we do about the context.

Was this something he was building from scratch, or from a kit of some kind? Many of the parts you show look kind of like they came from a kit, though it's possible he was fabricating all the parts. You mention "plans of various ships" but your wording is unclear; did he leave any documentation at all (notes, plans of any kind) to imply what he was working from? Or do you mean you've been looking at ship plans online to try and match what he'd built? There had to be some kind of documentation, unless he was making up the entire design in his head as he went along. Maybe files on a computer? An old kit box lying around?

Do any other relatives (spouse, sibling, etc.) have any memory of him ever talking about what he was building? He'd clearly been working on it for some time, there's a decent chance he talked to somebody about a project this large and dedicated. I know you said cognitive issues were involved, and you imply that the Bismarck claim is suspect because of that, but it's not clear whether that developed during this project (e.g. he told someone early on what his original plan was and only later became confused) or prior to the project (e.g. it was begun when he was already suffering confusion).

You say it's "clearly not the Bismarck", but how do you know that? What's your reasoning or evidence? This isn't a challenge, but again a request for more information/context. With respect, others on here might be better qualified to judge whether or not it's the Bismarck, so it would help to understand on what basis you made that decision.

Any details you can provide would be helpful because otherwise anyone on this end is working entirely in the dark.

Edited by Cathead

Ship Identified As Bismark and Hachette kit Magazine issues.  So something I'm going to have to sort out and get missing copies etc.

He lived in Cornwall and in his dieing years moved alot so guessing parts and magazines got miss placed or left behind etc.

But on another note, I like the idea of fabricating the missing parts but also maybe build one of his plans.  As I've said I've not done this sort of thing before so is there a Book or boat, ship a novice should start with more fabrication than kit building??

Because of the bow shape and the round gun casements (one fore and two on both port and starboard sides near deck edge) I think it's an early pre WWI. I'm guessing and I could be dead wrong. Later gun casements morphed into more rectangular shapes and were set further inboard. It would help greatly if the pieces were placed on the ship's deck in best guess fashion, photographed, and posted.   

Keith, you are wrong as that is the Bismarck as i just finished looking at the plans that are in German.

Lillypawz, the set of plans just under the S.S. Noggsund is that of a WW2 Town class light cruiser of the British Royal Navy. thought it was of a Modified Leander class light cruiser til i saw the triple barrel 6" gun turrets, the Modified Leander class had 2 barrel gun turrets.

If you read  the top chapter in the New Member Introductions forum:  For Beginners -- A Cautionary Tale

and take seriously the suggestions re:  beginner kits  you stand a good chance of achieving your goal and promise.

Wooden model shipbuilding is unlike other categories of scale modeling.  It has a unique nomenclature /language  that is not huge, but necessary to know.

The subjects represent the height and breadth of the technical and engineering achievements  of their civilization.

Wood requires familiarity with a range of tools - it is not assemble and paint.

Being overwhelmed, frustrated, loosing inspiration is very common - about a rule - almost a law - all is not lost when it hits,  you just wait it out and come back with batteries recharged.

If too complex a subject is a first subject - most often,that first negative wave kills any desire to return.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, ddp said:

Keith, you are wrong as that is the Bismarck as i just finished looking at the plans that are in German.

I certainly could be, it's been know to happen on many occasions in the past. :)

With Help identifying not only the ship but the kit Magazine aswell, I've managed to get copies of Magazine 1-34 with no parts unfortunately for £8 as I suspect most of that is hull my dad has done and can get issues if not.  Also been able to source alot of issues 30-80 with parts from well known Auction site.

So looks like the bismark will be my first model build but thinking/hoping instructions will be clear enough 🤔

So big thanks and will keep you posted as I hopefully progress.

On 4/1/2023 at 10:00 AM, ccoyle said:

model is a Hachette parts work kit,

Well that was impressive Chris. Right on point of the post with a clear and sharp answer, and one founded on just the least bit of information. Nice!

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

20 minutes ago, Lillypawz said:

going to photo them for anyone who is interested

Please do, Paul. 

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Lillypawz said:

Been slowly putting together my dad's ship

Would you like to continue your updates in a build log? That would be the appropriate place to do so, and I can set it up for you if you like.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2

Hi there,

Your Bismarck is looking good!!

There are a few build logs for this here, some are Amati but essentially the same as the Partwork thingy.

rvchima,/ted99/ianb and myself.

Mine is almost finished, have a look at the build log under HOF00

Anyway, I hoe you can secure all 140 parts/issues. (Ebay or similar)

Happy to offer advice/assistance.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

10 out of 10 for perseverance--- going to be a great talking point when finished (i guess it is already) when people visit you :) 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍