USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

Glad you came to that conclusion although I love your beautiful workmanship on those beams.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Was wondering how visible all that great detail was going to be on your finished Constitution, Mustafa!  Glad to know your plans!

FYI, gentlemen, you may or may not have noticed I've added the Constitution to my shipyard for "someday".  Couldn't pass up the great deal at Model Expo.  So now, I am really paying attention to all your awesome work! 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Glad you came to that conclusion although I love your beautiful workmanship on those beams.

Jon

Yes Jon, you suggested this to me before. Even making the auxiliary beams thinner at the front of the ship didn't help make the gun deck as visible as I had hoped. So I decided not to put them in anymore.

Edited by mtbediz

5 hours ago, GGibson said:

Was wondering how visible all that great detail was going to be on your finished Constitution, Mustafa!  Glad to know your plans!

FYI, gentlemen, you may or may not have noticed I've added the Constitution to my shipyard for "someday".  Couldn't pass up the great deal at Model Expo.  So now, I am really paying attention to all your awesome work! 👍

Greg, I know it's too early to ask because you're concentrating on your Bluenose right now, but while it's mentioned, let me ask anyway. Are you considering adding a gun deck to your Constitution? As far as I know the kit does not have this.

9 hours ago, mtbediz said:

Greg, I know it's too early to ask because you're concentrating on your Bluenose right now, but while it's mentioned, let me ask anyway. Are you considering adding a gun deck to your Constitution? As far as I know the kit does not have this.

Definitely early to think about, yes, Mustafa, but watching what you and others have done, and seeing what the gun deck addition does in improving the look of the Constitution with its detail, I can't not consider making that addition.  Would definitely need to go back and look in extreme detail at what you all have done to add it, however.  Thanks for asking!

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Posted (edited)

I'm not surprised those auxiliary beams inside the ship obscure the gun deck view. This war ship, although made of wood (obviously), was built to take punishment. If you look at the photo below from the 1873-77 restoration, you can't even see inside the ship with her hull planking removed. The hull frames were so close to each other, the ship looks solid. To take a phrase from an old Timex watch advertising slogan, "it takes a 'licken' and keeps on 'ticken,'" No wonder they called her "Old Ironsides."

Jon

c1875 Con Phila.jpg

Edited by JSGerson

4 hours ago, JSGerson said:

I'm not surprised those auxiliary beams inside the ship obscure the gun deck view. This war ship, although made of wood (obviously), was built to take punishment. If you look at the photo below from the 1873-77 restoration, you can't even see inside the ship with her hull planking removed. The hull frames were so close to each other, the ship looks solid. To take a phrase from an old Timex watch advertising slogan, "it takes a 'licken' and keeps on 'ticken,'" No wonder they called her "Old Ironsides."

Jon

c1875 Con Phila.jpg

I don't know when this ship was launched, but my guess is that she is at least 200 years old and is still alive and well. She deserves her name. :) She's an ''Iron Lady''

She was deployed October 21 1797.

Nice, Mustafa!  What was the ship's purpose for that barrel you just made?  Sharp work on the lathe, sir! 🏆

Gregg

7 hours ago, GGibson said:

Nice, Mustafa!  What was the ship's purpose for that barrel you just made?  Sharp work on the lathe, sir! 🏆

Thank you Greg. I really don't know what was in the barrel. There was probably a liquid inside, such as water or alcohol. I added it because it was on the deck of today's ship. Jon is really knowledgeable on Conny. Maybe he can make a contribution.

Ok, here's what I got. The first picture is a "Harness Cask," (I don't know how "harness" is defined on a ship) the second is the "Grog (watered down rum) Tub," and the third is the "Scuttlebutt" (contains water). I do have US Navy plans of the scuttlebutt and the harness cask should anyone want them.

Jon

9701231836_91bbf228c8_b.jpg

2007 01.jpg

fuji1%20018.jpg

50 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Ok, here's what I got. The first picture is a "Harness Cask," (I don't know how "harness" is defined on a ship) the second is the "Grog (watered down rum) Tub," and the third is the "Scuttlebutt" (contains water). I do have US Navy plans of the scuttlebutt and the harness cask should anyone want them.

Jon

9701231836_91bbf228c8_b.jpg

2007 01.jpg

fuji1%20018.jpg

Thanks for the info John. As far as I understand what I made is a Grog Tub :)

Great info, Jon.  Thanks! I love these pictures you share! 👍

Mustafa, I apologize for calling your Grog Tub simply a "barrel"... 🤣

Gregg

Posted (edited)

I would like to show how I made the main beams for those who are wondering how I did it. Since I have difficulty obtaining smooth beams by cutting and sanding wood, I use another method. I cut 3 pieces of the same size strip from 1,5x5 mm stock, apply glue between them, clamp them to the mold I prepared before, wait for it to dry, and remove it from the mold. Thus, I obtain standard curved beams.

20240330_114517.jpg

20240330_120157.jpg

20240330_114941.jpg

20240330_115146.jpg

20240330_115314.jpg

20240330_115351.jpg

20240330_115601.jpg

20240330_120126.jpg

20240330_120359.jpg

20240330_120410.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Thanks for showing your technique, Mustafa.  Makes sense how you then get consistent curves.  What brand is your table saw?  Do you like it? 

Gregg

9 minutes ago, GGibson said:

Thanks for showing your technique, Mustafa.  Makes sense how you then get consistent curves.  What brand is your table saw?  Do you like it? 

Thank you Greg. My table saw is a Proxxon KS230. It's Proxxon's simplest saw and does a good job within its capabilities.  I've been using it for six years.

Looks great! How did you tie off the rope at the bottom of the stairs as access is quite limited. If it's doable for me, I may attempt it myself.

Jon

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Looks great! How did you tie off the rope at the bottom of the stairs as access is quite limited. If it's doable for me, I may attempt it myself.

Jon

I glued the ropes with CA to the frame, where I marked with a red circle in the picture. While gluing, I stretch the rope with a pair of tweezers that I extend below. So it looks like it's tied somewhere below. The end of the rope is not tied to anything, I found such a solution.

Main hatch1.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Now I know, thanks!

Jon

Posted (edited)

Those pumps are coming along real nice

Jon