USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

Excellent detail, Mustafa!  Are you blackening the brass first before painting?  How will you be painting to assure a nice coverage?  Especially since it appears to now be all assembled.  I am curious, as my brass painting seems to always be spotty, but the blackening technique, along with an acrylic paint on top of it, seems to cover better for me.  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

10 hours ago, GGibson said:

Excellent detail, Mustafa!  Are you blackening the brass first before painting?  How will you be painting to assure a nice coverage?  Especially since it appears to now be all assembled.  I am curious, as my brass painting seems to always be spotty, but the blackening technique, along with an acrylic paint on top of it, seems to cover better for me.  

Thank you Greg. Normally, I do not paint the brass material, I just blacken it with chemicals, but since I use solder here, I have to paint it because the solder does not blacken with the chemical. I don't blacken the brass before painting, I just paint it with acrylic paint and apply matte spray varnish after the paint dries.

Those pumps were not easy. I had a lot of false starts making those.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Those pumps were not easy. I had a lot of false starts making those.

Jon

I had to think for a long time about how I could put the pieces together. This was a real challenge,for me especially on this scale.

These pumps look great, Mustafa!  Excellent detail.

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

2 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Everything looks great!  You're setting an incredibly high standard for those of us following along behind you.  Keep up the fabulous work.

Thank you so much Peter.

Posted (edited)
On 12/21/2023 at 8:48 AM, JSGerson said:

The transom like other parts of the ship changed over the years, so I hope these images help.  The close-up image is present day, The image with windows sashes was 1914. I believe the sashes were removed after the 1927 renovation as seen in the 1934 image with two guys in a row boat. I also gave you a historic montage as to some of the changes that took place.

Jon

Jon,

Where did you get the photo with the 1797 version below?  I'd love to see more photos of the hull.  I like the contrast between the painted uppers, and the natural finish on the bottom.

Thanks

Peter

I apologize in advance to Mustafa for bogarting in on his build log.  These photos came from an earlier post in his build.  Feel free to delete.   

post-15936-0-66718900-1466086305.jpg.ce789a73a7074f355e48e666c48979ae.jpg

Edited by Der Alte Rentner

Peter, I found the images of this model by Mark Antczak on Shipmodel.com, a company that sells boat models. Unfortunately, this model is not displayed any more at this site. However here is a limited blurb about this model from this Shipmodel.com at the time I down loaded the images: 

One of Mark Antczak’s greatest achievements was his ¼” scale (1:48) full hull model of the USS Constitution completed in 1990. This model was on display in the Carew Tower Arcade and the well know Exactitude art gallery in Cincinnati. It was acquired by a local business man, but was subsequently put on loan to the Maine Maritime Academy in Castine, Maine where it was displayed for a several years.

I will post the seven addition photos of this model that I have on your blog so as not to intrude too much on Mustafa's beautiful instructive blog.

1 hour ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Hey Mustafa, 

What are you using to take those closeups - especially the likes of the mast bitts?  A camera with a macro lens?  or your phone's camera?  

Thanks

Peter

It is the camera of my cell phone Peter. This camera is doing a really good job.

15 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

Peter, I found the images of this model by Mark Antczak on Shipmodel.com, a company that sells boat models. Unfortunately, this model is not displayed any more at this site. However here is a limited blurb about this model from this Shipmodel.com at the time I down loaded the images: 

I will post the seven addition photos of this model that I have on your blog so as not to intrude too much on Mustafa's beautiful instructive blog.

No problem, Jon. ;)

2 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

Jon,

Where did you get the photo with the 1797 version below?  I'd love to see more photos of the hull.  I like the contrast between the painted uppers, and the natural finish on the bottom.

Thanks

Peter

I apologize in advance to Mustafa for bogarting in on his build log.  These photos came from an earlier post in his build.  Feel free to delete.   

post-15936-0-66718900-1466086305.jpg.ce789a73a7074f355e48e666c48979ae.jpg

No problem Peter :)

Grate job, Mustafa!!  👍😁

Gregg

I am new to this forum. I am currently building a Mamoli Constitution kit and have recently started a build log. I am enjoying your excellent construction and photography work immensely.  As I progress, I will have questions to ask, but for now, I just want you to know you have an admirer in Colorado, USA.

Current Build - USS Constitution by Mamoli 1:93

Completed - US Liberty by Artesania Latina

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, BruceWayne426 said:

I am new to this forum. I am currently building a Mamoli Constitution kit and have recently started a build log. I am enjoying your excellent construction and photography work immensely.  As I progress, I will have questions to ask, but for now, I just want you to know you have an admirer in Colorado, USA.

Thank you very much for your interest Bruce. Like everyone else on this forum, I'd be happy to help. Please don't hesitate to ask whenever you need. 

Edited by mtbediz

Need I repeat myself, beautiful workmanship!! I'm curious, do you plan on covering the complete hatch coaming area with the hatch work, or are you going to leave one half uncovered so the observer can look down to gun deck like I've seen others do?

Jon

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JSGerson said:

Need I repeat myself, beautiful workmanship!! I'm curious, do you plan on covering the complete hatch coaming area with the hatch work, or are you going to leave one half uncovered so the observer can look down to gun deck like I've seen others do?

Jon

Thank you Jon. I have not fully planned everything I will do from the beginning to the end of the buid. I am deciding according to the development. I will cover only one side of the hatch coaming, just like you said. I want the gun deck to be as much visible as possible, Spar deck planking will also be very minimal.

Edited by mtbediz

Posted (edited)

Posted (edited)