USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

On 12/30/2023 at 10:38 PM, mtbediz said:

After sanding and necessary drilling...

I noticed that between posts 111 and 117  that the holes in the bulwarks for the eye bolts for the cannons appeared.  I assume this was part of the necessary drilling you mentioned in post 117.  Pardon a newbie question, but what tool did you use to drill the holes in the bulwarks?  

The holes in the bulwarks are for attaching the eyebolts of breeching ropes. I drilled them with a hand drill. It wasn't very easy, but I managed to do it thanks to my hands not being too big. :) It would have been much easier if I had drilled these holes before gluing the planks in place.

20240128_083308.jpg

20240128_083351.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

On 1/26/2024 at 11:58 PM, GGibson said:

Really awesome, meticulous work, Mustafa!  Very impressive!

I'm lovin' watching both of your build logs!  The Constitution may still be on my "add to the shipyard" wish list, so I am enjoying reading your build logs and learning so much!  And as I have said both publicly and to myself countless times as I slowly work on my own Bluenose and see others working ahead of me, it's not a race, but it's all about the journey! 👍🏆

Thanks so much Greg. Yes, this is not a race, it is a hobby. Rushing can make the job unpleasant. :)

On 1/26/2024 at 10:04 PM, JSGerson said:

You call that slow? You're not slow. I'M slow. You started after me and you're almost surpassing me! I've working on this model since 2017, now that's SLOW!😁😅🤣

I don't think I can be as slow as you, Jon. :D

Really sharp, Mustafa!  I am assuming that, in addition to securing the pins into the bulwarks, you are using some kind of PVA on the bottom of the wheels to secure to the deck? 👍

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

3 hours ago, GGibson said:

Really sharp, Mustafa!  I am assuming that, in addition to securing the pins into the bulwarks, you are using some kind of PVA on the bottom of the wheels to secure to the deck? 👍

Thank you Greg. I am using CA to secure the eyebolts into the bulwarks and wheels to the deck. I chose CA here because PVA has a long drying time.

Edited by mtbediz

4 hours ago, Der Alte Rentner said:

I'm soooooo  glad I asked.  I will drill these holes before I plank the deck!

Thank you Mustafa

You are welcome Rentner. That's the beauty of this forum! :)

I completed fixing all the guns on the gun deck with the breech ropes. The tackles of the gun carriages will wait for the other details of the gun deck to be finished, as the tackles will be attached to the eyebolts fixed to the knees of the spar deck beams.

Today I started building the ship stove. Since the stove was not included in the kit plans, I made the manufacturing drawing myself, using the photos on the internet.

The stove appeared with its outlines. Now I have details to add and eventually it will be painted black.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3.jpg

9.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

That is a sharp-looking gun deck, Mustafa!  What are the dimensions of the stove you had to build?  What type of wood are you using for the construction?

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

54 minutes ago, GGibson said:

That is a sharp-looking gun deck, Mustafa!  What are the dimensions of the stove you had to build?  What type of wood are you using for the construction?

Thank you Greg. The dimensions of the stove are roughly 30x30 mm and the height is 30 mm. While making the stove, I used scrap wood pieces like pear, basswood and mahogany. Since I'm going to paint the stove black, they will all look the same in the end.

20240202_094014.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

As always, beautiful, neat, and clean workmanship. Wonderful stuff.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

Great detail on the stove! 

Gregg

Nice work, Mustafa! How did you make the small quarter-circle pieces placed around the capstan simulating the drum?  

Gregg

20 hours ago, GGibson said:

Nice work, Mustafa! How did you make the small quarter-circle pieces placed around the capstan simulating the drum?  

Thank you Greg. I attached the sandpaper to a 10 mm diameter dovel using double-sided tape. I cut the piece of wood to the appropriate size, clamped it in a vice, and gave the piece this shape with the sandpaper I prepared. I will add a photo of the sandpaper I prepared tomorrow to this post.

20240207_145402.jpg

20240207_145741.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

At the time I fabricated my gun deck capstan, I made the square holes with my Byrnes Saw because it never occurred to me to use my Dremel drill on my Dremel drill press to make the cuts. I don't have a dedicated drill press. You just proved there is always more ways to do the same job with equal results. You do what ever is more comfortable for you. As always, nice job.

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, JSGerson said:

At the time I fabricated my gun deck capstan, I made the square holes with my Byrnes Saw because it never occurred to me to use my Dremel drill on my Dremel drill press to make the cuts. I don't have a dedicated drill press. You just proved there is always more ways to do the same job with equal results. You do what ever is more comfortable for you. As always, nice job.

Jon

Both of you gentlemen have demonstrated exceptional use of the tools you have to do remarkable work on your ships.  I have just added the Proxxon MF70 mill machine to my arsenal and am hoping that Donna Byrnes restarts production of the Byrnes Saw soon, and I will be first in line for it.  I have always repeated the adage "right tool for the right job".  Great looking capstan, Mustafa! 🏆

Gregg

7 hours ago, GGibson said:

Both of you gentlemen have demonstrated exceptional use of the tools you have to do remarkable work on your ships.  I have just added the Proxxon MF70 mill machine to my arsenal and am hoping that Donna Byrnes restarts production of the Byrnes Saw soon, and I will be first in line for it.  I have always repeated the adage "right tool for the right job".  Great looking capstan, Mustafa! 🏆

Thank you Greg. Good luck with your Proxxon MF70 (If I understand correctly, you bought the machine). It's a really great tool. With it, your life will become easier and the quality of your work will increase. A must have tool for every modeler. It's a little pricey, but it's worth spending the money. I hope you also purchased the vise compatible with this machine. Because you'll need it too.

The vise is as in the link below.

https://www.amazon.com.tr/Proxxon-24260-makine-mengenesi-PM40-PROXXON-MF70-için/dp/B000S8HPLG/ref=asc_df_B000S8HPLG/?tag=trshpngglesp-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=510209936070&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16659119729733792243&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=21068&hvtargid=pla-316724730214&psc=1&mcid=6b9d52512a603006a97b8b1110d9a39c

Edited by mtbediz

13 hours ago, JSGerson said:

Jon

Thank you Jon. I have always found scary working with circular saw from a safety perspective, so I stay away from it as much as possible. I only use it for cutting wood.

Edited by mtbediz