USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

As I install the vertical knees, I will also add the gun tackles. I couldn't do this before because the tackle hooks are connected to the eyebolts attached to the knees.

I don't plan on adding rope coils to the gun tackles. Maybe I'll add these to the guns on the spar deck.

Of course, like everything else, I am making the blocks and hooks myself. 

20240222_125942.jpg

20240222_125941.jpg

20240223_092314.jpg

20240223_092242.jpg

20240223_092939.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

The bowsprit bitts and the beam to which they were fixed were painted and mounted in place. The beam at the forward end has been prepared.

In the meantime, I continue to prepare the gun tackles and add them to the guns.

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

20240223_134829.jpg

20240224_131238.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Your gun deck is shaping up really nice. Well done on the gun tackle too, those are not easy to do, especially at that size.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

On 11/7/2023 at 11:30 PM, mtbediz said:

If I try to do everything exactly according to the rules, I might hate this hobby, but I don't want that.

This quote ended up several pages from where you made the comment, so it may seem out of context given where you are in the build log now, but,  I will adopt this as my motto going forward.     (I was reviewing your work on hull planking today.  I said it then, but will repeat it now, Excellent work!)

Edited by Der Alte Rentner

It's going to be a shame if you deck over all that lovely bow work. Those supportive beams between the main beams really cut down the view of the gun deck, I've been thinking of making those beams look "broken away" so that the gun deck will be more visible, or maybe leave them off altogether. What are your plans?

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

15 minutes ago, JSGerson said:

It's going to be a shame if you deck over all that lovely bow work. Those supportive beams between the main beams really cut down the view of the gun deck, I've been thinking of making those beams look "broken away" so that the gun deck will be more visible, or maybe leave them off altogether. What are your plans?

Jon

Yes, they are a little thick and they block the view. I will make the next ones thinner and yes I will add all the supportive beams. My goal is to add as much detail as possible.

Great detail, Mustafa!  Love following your Constitution build log. So, will you be placing a fire extinguisher on the wall, as well?  Forgot which "era" of Constitution you are recreating, but did see that fire extinguishers were actually invented back in the 1700s, so... <shrug>  

NOTE:  Hope you understand this is intended as a bit of levity, and not criticism.👍  Continued success, Mustafa! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

6 hours ago, GGibson said:

Great detail, Mustafa!  Love following your Constitution build log. So, will you be placing a fire extinguisher on the wall, as well?  Forgot which "era" of Constitution you are recreating, but did see that fire extinguishers were actually invented back in the 1700s, so... <shrug>  

NOTE:  Hope you understand this is intended as a bit of levity, and not criticism.👍  Continued success, Mustafa! 

Thank you Greg. Of course I know it's a joke. I'm building her as it is today but I will skip the objects that represent today's technology. :)

Edited by mtbediz

Beautiful work. At your pace, I'll be following your foot steps very soon.

Jon

Posted (edited)

When I started building Constitution, I never thought I would go into this much detail. In fact, building the gun deck wasn't even on my agenda. I only intended to do what was stated in the building instructions for the Model Shipways kit. However, while looking at other modelers' build logs, I noticed that a few modelers had also made the gun deck, so I decided to do the same. I am now very pleased with the decision I made.

Main beams and supportive beams around the foremast are in progress.

20240303_142238.jpg

20240303_142244.jpg

20240303_142253.jpg

20240303_142540.jpg

20240303_142616.jpg

20240303_142647.jpg

20240303_143549.jpg

20240303_142639.jpg

20240303_143628.jpg

20240303_143949.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

As I have said all along; beautiful work. Just be careful that you don't lockout your access to the gun deck before you install the anchor rope(s)/chain(s) and maybe the traveler.

Jon

7 hours ago, mgatrost said:

She’s coming along beautifully. It’s amazing you are able to create from scratch on a daily basis. 

Thank you so much my friend. If I don't have anything better to do, I spend 5-6 hours a day in the workshop :)

6 hours ago, JSGerson said:

As I have said all along; beautiful work. Just be careful that you don't lockout your access to the gun deck before you install the anchor rope(s)/chain(s) and maybe the traveler.

Jon

Thank you so much for reminding me of this Jon, I had completely forgotten about that. Now it's time to look for a suitable size chain :)

The chain that is provided in the kit, is single link. According to the pictures I've found showing the anchors on the ship, they used chain links with cross studs. At least one anchor used rope. Hope you find this useful.

4f946223fe13b0b7a56de39ebb7e5957.jpg

1931 05May 12 - Leslie Jones.jpg

Leslie Jones 01.jpg

Amazing photos, Jon! Are these a part of the USS Constitution Museum website?  I have it linked/saved. but have not perused through all of the sub-pages.

Thanks for sharing! Been wavering a bit, but still have the Constitution on my "add to shipyard" shortlist.  

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

GGibson - I have been saving pictures of the USS Constitution from multiple sources ever since I decided to build her. I started my kit in 2017 but my photo library started a year or two earlier and I have not stopped collecting. I do not remember from which source or sources these photos came from (National Archives, or US Navy archives?), but they were taken in 1931. I found that if you try to Google a detail like "USS Constitution Anchor Chain," you may or may not get what you are looking for, but you may get a great reference photo of something else entirely. I retain those images (because I don't know if I could find them again), and categorize them for easy retrieval later. I have thousands of images. Should you (or anyone else) need a USS Constitution image of something, I may have what you are looking for.

Jon

3 hours ago, JSGerson said:

GGibson - I have been saving pictures of the USS Constitution from multiple sources ever since I decided to build her. I started my kit in 2017 but my photo library started a year or two earlier and I have not stopped collecting. I do not remember from which source or sources these photos came from (National Archives, or US Navy archives?), but they were taken in 1931. I found that if you try to Google a detail like "USS Constitution Anchor Chain," you may or may not get what you are looking for, but you may get a great reference photo of something else entirely. I retain those images (because I don't know if I could find them again), and categorize them for easy retrieval later. I have thousands of images. Should you (or anyone else) need a USS Constitution image of something, I may have what you are looking for.

Jon

Thank you for the information and photos, Jon. Do you have information about the size of the chain?

The kit provided a length of approximately 65cm of 10 links/cm plain chain.

I purchased, some years ago, 90cm of 4 links/cm cross lug chain. The individual links are about 1 x 3 mm in size. I'm sorry, I didn't record where on the internet I got it from.

Jon

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, JSGerson said:

The kit provided a length of approximately 65cm of 10 links/cm plain chain.

I purchased, some years ago, 90cm of 4 links/cm cross lug chain. The individual links are about 1 x 3 mm in size. I'm sorry, I didn't record where on the internet I got it from.

Jon

Thanks Jon. The chain provided by the kit didn't feel quite right to me. I think the links are too small, but a chain with 1x3 mm links seems to be closer to the scale. I found a chain of about 3 links/cm in the pictures on a local hobby shop. I think it was made with 3D resin printing. I ordered this, it looks okay but I think I'll have to paint it black.

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Your chain looks very realistic. I didn't find that type of chain when I went looking a couple of years back.  The chain I got is brass, so I will have to blacken it.

Jon

The spar deck is slowly taking shape. The unpainted parts in the photos have not been glued into place yet. After making sure that all the parts are compatible with each other, they are painted and glued.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg