USS Constitution by mtbediz - 1:76

The planks need to be bent to fit snugly into the bulkheads. Both lateral and edge bending is required in the bow.

By the way, the end of the road is in sight in planking.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

9.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

20231105_131421.jpg

20231105_131239.jpg

20231105_131132.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

2 hours ago, CiscoH said:

are you edge gluing your planks or just to the bulkheads?

and i really like the sheer of your garboard.  it looks straight and not climbing up the stem (like mine wants to do).  

great job all around

Thank you Cisco. I am gluing the planks both to the bulkheads and to each other at the edges. 

The last few boards remain to complete the hull planking. I'm quite pleased with the result, there is no need for too much sanding. The next phase will be some paint work on the upper hull and copper plating below the waterline.

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

Planking looks really good, Mustafa.  Congrats on a smooth job!  Curious, though, on your choice of butt joint spacing.  I generally read about recommendations for 3 or 4 plank spacing before repeated butt joints.  Yours looks like only 2.  Does the copper plating that will cover a good part of the hull have an effect on that decision?  Not meant as criticism but genuinely curious as to process, being a new modeler.  I'm enjoying watching your build log! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

On 11/8/2023 at 7:20 AM, GGibson said:

Planking looks really good, Mustafa.  Congrats on a smooth job!  Curious, though, on your choice of butt joint spacing.  I generally read about recommendations for 3 or 4 plank spacing before repeated butt joints.  Yours looks like only 2.  Does the copper plating that will cover a good part of the hull have an effect on that decision?  Not meant as criticism but genuinely curious as to process, being a new modeler.  I'm enjoying watching your build log! 

You're absolutely right, Greg. It would be more accurate if I did a butt joint after 3 or 4 planks. But as you said, it will not be visible because it will be covered with copper. So I chose a path that was easier for me.

If I try to do everything exactly according to the rules, I might hate this hobby, but I don't want that. This is just a hobby for me. :)

Edited by mtbediz

Thanks for clarifying, Mustafa!  As I said before, it really looks like an awesome planking.  Carry on, sir! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been around for a while but now I'm back in action. I completed the hull planking and started copper plating below the waterline. Even though the copper nailing pattern is not very accurate historically, I prepare copper plates using my own methods because I like the way they look.

I use self-adhesive foil tape on copper plating.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

I like it, Mustafa!  Very sharp looking.  How much time was the copper plating process? 

Spoiler

Gregg

Very nice and exacting work on the copper plating!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

8 hours ago, GGibson said:

I like it, Mustafa!  Very sharp looking.  How much time was the copper plating process? 

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you Greg. The copper plating has not finished yet, but I estimate that I will complete it in 5-6 working days in total.

7 hours ago, Geoff Matson said:

Everything is looking great. I don't think most people realize how much work and time are involved this model. Glad to see it coming out so well. 

Thank you so much Geoff. Yes, this is a hobby that requires patience and most importantly love. I have had many friends who started and quit this hobby.

Nice job on the coppering!

Constitution is looking good, Mustafa!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

On 11/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, mtbediz said:

I prepare ... using my own methods because I like the way they look.

Now that's some advice I'll be taking to heart.  Nicely done

Edited by Der Alte Rentner
best advice I can give is to not misspell it as advise.

I completed the copper plating of the hull. The next stage is to prepare the rudder and install it in place while the ship is still in upside down position. This job is much easier when the ship is in this position.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Looks sharp, Mustafa.  Great work.

Gregg

Thank you so much Greg.

I started to prepare the rudder. Since I don't have enough tools to handle the metal material, I make the pintles a little tricky :)

The gudgeons were cut from 0.3 mm brass sheet and mounted in place with nails.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Edited by mtbediz

I can appreciate the effort that went into creating the pintles and gudgeons. My method was slightly different then yours, but getting all those pieces aligned properly was tough.  You did a nice clean job. Well done,

Jon

Current Build: Model Shipways USS Frigate Constitution

Past Builds:    Bob Hunt's kitbash of the Mamoli Rattlesnake

Model Shipways Typical Ship’s Boat for the Rattlesnake

Mini-Mamoli solid hull British Schooner Evergreen
                         Model Airways Albatros D.Va - 1917, The Red Baron's Forgotten Fighter

​Member: Nautical Research Guild

On 12/4/2023 at 1:13 AM, JSGerson said:

I can appreciate the effort that went into creating the pintles and gudgeons. My method was slightly different then yours, but getting all those pieces aligned properly was tough.  You did a nice clean job. Well done,

Jon

I've seen yours and they are more accurately done. As I mentioned, I need to improve myself in working with metals.