USS New York by threebs - FINISHED - 74-gun ship of the line

Great job so far. Do the details reflect the plans from Smithsonian or are those plans more obscure and open to interpretation? 

• 3 weeks later...

The New York's barge/whale boat is pretty much done..  Needs some final touches to clean up fuzz and paint job.  I  was busy the past week making an in depth video series on making a ship's boat.  It is in 9 parts!  About half are 10 minutes or so long, but several run 15 to 25 minutes.  I have them on U tube.  My channel is @gregbaumgartner8257  I have not tried or looked into posting video here.  Is it allowed and if so how do you select videos to up load?

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2620.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2624.JPG

IMG_2625.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

Seems to be .MPG for videos or post to say Youtube the video and a link here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice job on those ratlines. I often see them too large when compared to the shrouds but yours look very much to scale. I found that tying every fifth row, then filling in the spaces between, keeps them correctly tensioned all the way up.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I demonstrate ship building at our local county fair each year for 10 days.  The sound you hear in the background of the video is one of the many bands that play through out the day in the Grandstand right outside the building I am in.

Edited by threebs
spelling correction

• 2 weeks later...

The super glue drys shinny, so it serves 2 purposes.  I coat the ratlines with the clear matte spray to eliminate the shininess and it seals the rope fibers so if it is not in a case and gathers dust, The dust does not penetrate into the rope seams and fibers.  It makes blowing the dust off with a small compressor is easy. I coat all of my rigging this way.

I love the gratings which look very realistic and that the copper bottom plates do not have the rivet-like protrusions as seen on so many models.  Nice work!

For the future, maybe try brass belaying pins if you cannot make wooden ones to scale.  Yours look well shaped but pretty fat.  These are not the easiest things to make, but it can be done😀

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU