Does anyone have a drawing of a Link Belt Chain for 1920 fishing schooner

Go to solution Solved by Keith Black,

Looking to see if anyone has a drawing, pictures, or better still drawing with dimensions of a Link Belt, which went between sprocket on Boom Crutch to counter shaft stand sprocket on Bluenose 1920

On my WIP here on MSW, back in May 2020 I machined the sprockets and then in post 205 I said I made sprockets to fit a 1/12 scale motor bike chain, well have mounted it now and I think it looks to big, so thinking do I build the Link Belt 🤔

yc4T0p.jpg

35K0iE.jpgnUEwB6.jpgB2Stzj.jpg

Regards

Richard

• Solution

i think it looks pretty dang close. IMHO blackening the chain would make it appear smaller and fit in with the gears. 

very nice work Richard

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

14 hours ago, Keith Black said:

i think it looks pretty dang close. IMHO blackening the chain would make it appear smaller and fit in with the gears. 

Thanks Keith will paint the chain and give some weathering and will see if will appear smaller.

Regards

Richard

10 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

Ditto t what Keith just wrote. It looks great to me! 

7 hours ago, Mirabell61 said:

very nice work Richard

Nils

Thanks a lot  Bob and Nils I will update my blog once I paint it.

Regards

Richard

On 11/4/2023 at 6:53 AM, amateur said:

I think the size is correct, but the original had a slightly orher design, making it look smaller. I found another photo of the chain (nova scotia archives)IMG_0578.jpeg.211f99ca0666f0f0a97a11f85373e8b4.jpeg

Hi Jan, do have this picture and got the chain to look a little like it now.

Regards

Richard

On 11/2/2023 at 7:04 PM, Keith Black said:

Hi Keith now have painted the chain but before I did I filed the chain down a bit and now it looks a lot better.

5jPVgc.jpg

bgXGm1.jpg

Best regards

Richard

11 hours ago, wefalck said:

That looks like an excellent model - could you post please a link to your building log? Somehow, I didn't manage to find it ...

Hi Wefaick

Not sure how to link my build but if you go to page 10 and look down 3 or 4 wip you will find mine, do have to do an update.

Regards

Richard

Richard... have  look here on how to add links to your signature:   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 11/6/2023 at 7:47 PM, Retired guy said:

Hi Keith now have painted the chain but before I did I filed the chain down a bit and now it looks a lot better.

5jPVgc.jpg

Does this mean that you filed to shape each individual link? I also noticed in your building log, that you shaped by filing the straps for the dead-eyes. Do you use some kind of template (like the file-buttons of ancient mechanics) or is it all free-hand? How do you hold these tiny and narrow parts during filing?

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

4 hours ago, wefalck said:

Does this mean that you filed to shape each individual link? I also noticed in your building log, that you shaped by filing the straps for the dead-eyes. Do you use some kind of template (like the file-buttons of ancient mechanics) or is it all free-hand? How do you hold these tiny and narrow parts during filing?

Hi Wefalck,

No did not file each link just removed about .007" each side by holding chain in a jig, it did make a difference.

4UWlHJ.jpg

Regarding straps for deadeyes, these were made one by one first drill the holes using a jig I made, then I marked the shape with a pencil then used my Turbo Carver with a diamond bit I removed by eye free hand to my pencil mark, did not remove a small bit so that I could finish off final shape with file, again free hand.

K2U94U.jpg 

grOQ0r.jpg

Ru6PK8.jpg

JETUOU.jpg

7PIT3q.jpg

Best regards

Richard