Santos Dumont 14 bis (1906) by Greg Davis - Model Airways - 1:16 scale - Finished

I've just added the fuel tank and fuel line to the engine. Getting the tank in place was harder than expected. At first I attached the mounts to the plane and then attempted to add the tank - this was a fail. I took the mounts off, wrapped the tank and mounts with the brass straps and then put the whole structure in place - this eventually worked out for me. The fuel line was then added to finish this portion of the build. I think it would have been just as easy (and more realistic) to have formed the tank supports from wire and/or had them supplied as castings. I've also added the radiators, the propeller, and the upper wing middle rib. 

FuelTankInstalled.jpg.f6204228dbc6a85b06e542f5fdf30675.jpg

I believe that all that is left now is the landing gear - the wheels, the tail skid, and the wing skids.

I've also had a fail at the fuel tank installation, so much that in repeated attempts I've broken the mounts a couple of times such that after repeated repairs they are to weak to support the tank. Just finished making replacement parts so I'll try your method of installation which makes more sense. Agree with your assessment of the mounts material; the thin plywood seems a poor choice. I'll miss your reports as you finish your model as you have saved me some pitfalls I might have fallen into. Got a display location yet? I've got to relocate my build to my kitchen table when I get to the wing installation as my workbench is too small and more suited to peanut and walnut scale aircraft.

9 hours ago, George Ramey said:

I've also had a fail at the fuel tank installation, so much that in repeated attempts I've broken the mounts a couple of times such that after repeated repairs they are to weak to support the tank. Just finished making replacement parts so I'll try your method of installation which makes more sense. Agree with your assessment of the mounts material; the thin plywood seems a poor choice. I'll miss your reports as you finish your model as you have saved me some pitfalls I might have fallen into. Got a display location yet? I've got to relocate my build to my kitchen table when I get to the wing installation as my workbench is too small and more suited to peanut and walnut scale aircraft.

George -

While plywood doesn't have as much grain problems as if they made them from basswood, they are still more fragile than I like. If the mounts break again, consider remaking them from some styrene. One of the problems I faced installing the mounts at first was that I failed to angle them in enough. But after playing with the brass straps, I think that getting the straps on first is the way to go. Did you notice that the kit supplied mounts have notches for the brass straps - but they seem to have been made on the top of the mounts instead of the bottom (where I think they should have been)?

FuelTankMount.jpg.ac9899c20a37ac391533a43b8e8adc7d.jpg

I've got the display down to two possible locations in my workroom - either on the wall behind my computer desk or hanging in one of the corners of the room. My wife says there is a corner of the family room that it could go in if I want!

As soon as the wings were attached, the model got BIG. I am also having some issues with the final assembly because of that.

If I happen to get done before you, feel free to continue to post questions. I'll be checking periodically. Otherwise, you can just message me via MSW.

Greg

Today's main task was getting the tail support in place. I got the bamboo supports glued and tied in place. Took a little thinking on how I might clamp the lower ends together in preparation for the skid. Finally placed a washer over the two pieces to hold them in place. They were spot glued with CA. After it was dry, I cut a half round into the joint for the skid to sit in. The kit supplies brass wire for the skid. I think the brass wire is not stiff enough to hold the plane up nicely over time. So I have substituted piano wire for the piece. It is spot glued as of this picture. Next it will be wrapped, along with the lower portion of the bamboo, with thread. Once that is done, A small amount of rigging will be added to support the entire assembly.

TailSkid.jpg.d1b6449369d0c6389b504a0c381813df.jpg

Lovely  work  -  a  really  nice looking  replica.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Beautiful job on the original configuration of the 14-Bis... So many kits of this built, but no real research into what it actually was when first built...

This has it all....

VERY NICE!!!!!

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

On 3/29/2024 at 3:11 PM, Egilman said:

Beautiful job on the original configuration of the 14-Bis... So many kits of this built, but no real research into what it actually was when first built...

This has it all....

VERY NICE!!!!!

Thank you very much for the compliments and all the posts that you made thru the building, they really helped me think about how the project would unfold.

For a machine with such a short 'life', it sure had quite a few configurations. I think that what came out of the build was the middle of the variants - the shortened propeller mount, but not the ailerons. It's certainly not a perfect piece of work and I hope others will see my modeling shortcomings and perhaps get closer to the 'perfect' miniature. Actually, it might make a really good scratch build project, short of the engine most of the build could be accomplished without a great deal of trouble just having the plans. On the other hand, I saw Model Expo selling the model for $99 recently which is not bad for anyone to give it a try!

Very nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

An interesting but odd looking bird and very well done.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)