Hi All

Does anyone know what colour bricks would have been used in a ships hearth?  For some reason I can't help but think that they would have been made from grey clay. I see many ships with red bricks in the hearth so I could be completely wrong.  

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Mark

There is such a thing a 'fire brick' (or refractory brick), and they can be anything from a light ocher (tan) to a light orange-red ... but that is what I've seen in 'recent' times.  What was used in olden days could have been (I'm not an expert) hot-fired brick, or those nearer to the inside of the pile of bricks built up for firing.  The color varied with the clay. The bricks on the outside (per the traditional brick makers in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia) did not get as hot - so were softer.  These were used inside brick structures (having thick walls), with the more resilient bricks on the outside facing the weather.  The bricks with somewhat 'charred' (darker) ends were utilized in a 'Flemish bond', that gave a decorative look to an exterior wall.  Since hot fired bricks were used to make 'beehive' ovens - that could have an access opening on one side of a 'walk in' or 'open' hearth, or they could be an outside structure near the kitchen, but not attached, and advantage in hot weather.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

What ship?

Once iron stoves came into general use around 1757, the hearth was made of iron.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

1 hour ago, Gregory said:

What ship?

Once iron stoves came into general use around 1757, the hearth was made of iron.

But it seems they still put brick under the stove because of sparks, coals getting moved about, etc. I think the iron was subject to which country one is looking at.  I don't think you're wrong though as I've seen plans going both ways.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I was referencing Lavery from " The Arming and Fitting ..etc. " ..  He shows a lot of drawings and no mention of bricks after the introduction of iron stoves.

Not the final word I'm sure, so perhaps someone has further references.

“Indecision may or may not be my problem.”
― Jimmy Buffett

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

As I understand the hearth, the base was an iron pan filled with a layer of sand and the brick or (in some cases) stone was laid on top. 

Edited by Keith Black

Thanks for the replies - In Le Rochefort the hearth is simply a brick lined wooden box with a metal lattice.  The whole thing simply sits on a sheet of metal to protect the deck and was the most basic of cookers. I am also guessing that due to the heat the bricks were placed with no mortar of any kind?

12 minutes ago, No Idea said:

I can see coals in an iron stove but no mortar around fire bricks

In the first photo the gray contrasting material between the bricks appears to be mortar. If that isn't mortar then the space between the bricks would be dark. In the second photo where stone (me thinks it is stone) is used it also appears to be mortar between the stones but is harder to see due to lighter stone color.  

Wait a minute.........are you speaking of the brick inside the firebox or the brick on the hearth? 

Edited by Keith Black

Ah ha!  I think you are mentioning the tiles and stone on the floor whereas I’m talking about the bricks that actually go inside the fire.  The bricks I’m curious about basically lined a wooden box to stop the box from catching fire. I would imagine that they also made the hearth much more efficient and easier to use. 

15 minutes ago, No Idea said:

I’m talking about the bricks that actually go inside the fire

If fire brick was used to line the stove's firebox the brick would have to be adhered to one another with mortar or else it would be a constant battle to keep them in place as each new load of wood or coal would jimmy the fire brick about. I suspect the firebox was all iron. 

Edited by Keith Black

Hi Keith that makes sense regarding mortar I hadn't thought of that.  Here's a picture of the hearth - it's a very simple thing for the crew of 8.  The base bricks sit on a base of sand or salt and there is a simple metal framework within.

IMG_0215.thumb.jpeg.696960e8b2c417327867ebb7fa5277e2.jpeg

I asked about the colour of the bricks to ensure that I put them in correctly.  

There was both stone work and brick work in the cooking area.  The below is limited to the 1780 era but these are color drawings of the stone work, flue, copper, stove and hearth brickwork (shown in red) for a 36 and a 64 at RMG Collections.  The legend describes the various parts.

Allan

Fire_hearth_for_36_gun_ships_(1780)_RMG_J7597.thumb.png.0e61ed1e15483b0dbd38926697f63ad9.pngFire_hearth_for_64_gun_ships_(1780)_RMG_J7569.thumb.jpg.19bf57318da26efa96d813618373612c.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, No Idea is building the Le Rochefort so the drawing you posted is probably more appropriate for his builds time period. Thank you for posting. 

You may find something useful in this old thread...

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

7 hours ago, No Idea said:

Ah ha!  I think you are mentioning the tiles and stone on the floor whereas I’m talking about the bricks that actually go inside the fire.  The bricks I’m curious about basically lined a wooden box to stop the box from catching fire. I would imagine that they also made the hearth much more efficient and easier to use. 

Ah....  yes, the French did line the insides of their stoves and ovens with brick. It was held in place with iron straps.  They also often covered the outside (but not always) with wood.

7 hours ago, Keith Black said:

If fire brick was used to line the stove's firebox the brick would have to be adhered to one another with mortar or else it would be a constant battle to keep them in place as each new load of wood or coal would jimmy the fire brick about. I suspect the firebox was all iron. 

The iron iron straps did that.   I'll have to dig through.   IF anyone has a copy of Frolich's The Art of Ship Modeling, have a look at pages 122-123.   Not all their galleys (stoves) were like this.  For example my Licorne had an oven and a different type of stove (galley)

If I can get my scanner to fire up (it's been a bit fussy lately) I'll scan the stove from the Belle Poule.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

If you are still wondering about the colour of the bricks, I suggest that this was determined by what was available locally.  So researching about brickyards near to the shipyard might be of help.  Brickyards tended to use local clays to lessen transport costs, and the colour of the clay as well as the temperature and length of the firing determined the colour of the brick.

Nipper

Current build:  HMS Sphinx 1775 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models

Completed build:  HM Cutter Alert 1777 - 1/64 - Vanguard Models