HMS Sphinx by ir3 - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale

I am at step 99 in the builder's guide. I didn't start the thread from step 1 as this has been covered by several of the modelers doing this build. I waited until I ran into a problem and need to get some advice. I fitted the checkerboard pattern but when it came to the gundeck pattern, not sure how to test fit it. I am afraid to bend it so it can be dropped in. Once it is in, places it must be trimmed to fit will be evident but then how to get it back out again. Totally flummoxed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P1050424.JPG

Thanks James, easier said than done. I now have a crack going halfway down the deck from the stern. When flexing the deck to set it down one is pretty lucky if the deck doesn't split. So, now to repair the crack and try again. Easily said on paper but not so easy to accomplish. 

10 minutes ago, ir3 said:

Thanks James, easier said than done. I now have a crack going halfway down the deck from the stern. When flexing the deck to set it down one is pretty lucky if the deck doesn't split. So, now to repair the crack and try again. Easily said on paper but not so easy to accomplish. 

This is the same method used on all of the VM range, from the fishers, right up to Indy. I must admit that I never had any problems when building those prototypes and writing those manuals, including Sphinx. 

@chris watton

It could be anything. Wood too dry, a flaw in the grain. Chris suggested scribing a line down the middle to help prevent a crack while bending the Gundeck Pattern. Of course, I could have been a bit aggressive. In any case, once the glue dries, I will try again.

And be aware....when you are at the part of glueing it in place....don't put glue on the deck, but only at the false deck below. Because the PVA will moisture the wood causing it to swell a bit. This resulted in that the deck didn't fit anymore because I couldn't get it fast enough onto the false deck, and as a consequence...the deck became fixated in this swelled up size due to the glue that dryed. So I messed this up a bit :)  Totally my own fault due to the inexperience working with thin sheets of wood. So maybe I can warn others to not make these mistakes :D 

6 hours ago, mugje said:

And be aware....when you are at the part of glueing it in place....don't put glue on the deck, but only at the false deck below. Because the PVA will moisture the wood causing it to swell a bit. This resulted in that the deck didn't fit anymore because I couldn't get it fast enough onto the false deck, and as a consequence...the deck became fixated in this swelled up size due to the glue that dryed. So I messed this up a bit :)  Totally my own fault due to the inexperience working with thin sheets of wood. So maybe I can warn others to not make these mistakes :D 

Even if you apply the PVA to the false deck, be careful with thinning. Let it dry slightly first. I made the same mistake.

Clark