How to "unstick" this chuck from the mill spindle?

Go to solution Solved by Dziadeczek,

Hello all,

Today I had the opportunity to buy a used Sherline lathe and mill, so I did.

I have no prior experience with them so I am reading the online manual from the Sherline website, and trying to familiarize myself with the basic nomenclature and basic operation of these machines.  From what I have learned so far, they are somewhat older machines, (probably pre 1999) but still model 4000 for the lathe, and 5000 for the mill.

I have one roadblock immediately.  The jacobs chuck is stuck in the mill spindle--

IMG_3367.thumb.jpg.e83df11b697d32a0b9c06d80d85cd13a.jpg  

Am I right that this should be just a friction fit?   What is the best way to loosen/remove this?   I ask this knowing that some may be thinking "if he can't do this, these machines are wasted on him".

Any advice is appreciated.

Ron

Edited by rlb

Hi Ron, I have a Sherline mill also.  That chuck usually comes with a draw bar (threaded on one end and a bolt type head) that you put in from the top of the spindle assembly.  I partially engage the thread of the draw bar into the chuck bore, give it a tap or two with a small rubber mallet (small hammer will work also) which usually disengages the tapered (morse) chuck head.  If you don't have the draw bar, putting a metal rod of suitable OD down into the spindle bore and tapping that should also work, BUT put a rag or something under the chuck so that if it dislodges completely, it will fall onto a padded surface and not damage the cross-table or the chuck etc.  The rod could be one of the many different bars/rods provided by Sherline, but should be a smaller OD than the bore, but bigger than the internally threaded bore in the top of the chuck (so that you don't drive the bar into this and damage the thread).

I hope that resolves the issue for you.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I do not have this machine but, having said that, there should always be an access hole on the far side to knock it out with a rod if/when it sticks.

If you cannot see it, there must be a cover over it. It should be a tapered hole.

Can you remove a cover?

Put a towel or something below to catch it as it drops out.

Good luck

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Thanks Pat and Alan.

I was able to find a draw bar in the box of accessories, and thread it into the top of the chuck through the spindle assembly. 

IMG_3368.jpg.ca40243b23731c91bd0fdd68c4832101.jpgIMG_3369.jpg.32f10b57743be1a9e5f23461e58ac48b.jpgIMG_3372.jpg.b379ff4a1022d1845588929cb5ba3805.jpg

I gave it a few taps with a small hammer but it didn't budge.  I'm nervous of hitting it too hard.   But am I on the right track?

Ron

Would cold cause the components to contract?

I have a vague memory of an aerosol something that acted like liquid Nitrogen.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

When you buy something from Sherline that fits into a Morse Taper it usually comes with a steel pin to tap it out of the tapered socket.  The threaded bolt is to be used for drawing it into the taper, not driving it out.  A piece of steel round stock larger than the hole in the tapered tail of the chuck with the two ends machined or filed square is the correct tool to use.  I believe that the pin supplied with my Jacobs Chuck is 1/2in dia.  A good hard smack should dislodge it.  Keep in mind that since it’s tapered, as soon as it starts to move it should drop out.

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

I would stick a wood block between the head and table, and run the head down to lock the block in place, also. If it is really stuck, you might damage the ways (the piece the head slides on), or the head if you have to hit it hard. These are small machines.

45 minutes ago, mnl said:

Please do not use any hammer on the top of your spindle. The bearings will not like it.

You will notice there is a small gap between the top of the chuck and the spindle. They make wedges specifically to separate Jacobs tapers.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/Wedge-Set/52.html

Exactamente! And I believe that the threads on the spindle above the Jacobs chuck accommodate a threaded collet holder for your milling bits. A Morse or Jacobs taper arbor would likely not hold the tapered arbor when side-loaded by milling forces and the arbor and chuck would fall out of the spindle at speed, which might not be pretty. The Jacobs chuck is for vertical drilling, not milling processes.

You will have to purchase wedges to match the size of your Jacobs chuck. 

Thanks everyone for your advice.   

Sherline does sell a "knockout bar" as described by Roger Pellet, so perhaps they expect light tapping (with a soft hammer) would not be harmful?   I do take mnl's caution seriously though, and I have also looked into the Jacobs chuck wedge sets.  With shipping and tax one of those would be around $30, not the end of the world, but it would be easy enough to make a similar "U" shaped hardwood wedge that I think I will try first. 

If they are ball bearings they are not designed for a side force. As the spindle is vertical I'd suspect they are tapered roller bearings that will take side loading by design so light taps with a soft hammer/mallet should dislodge it.

If not tapered roller bearings then the machine is a poor design mechanically speaking.

If you use the long threaded bolt you might damage the threads. The rod should be a larger diameter so as not to engage or contact the threads at all.

Alan O'Neill

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Some machines are designed that if you retract it completely it will self dislodge. That is how the spindle on most lathes work.

Alan O'Neill

I have a brass hammer that I use to dislodge the cluck from my Sherline Lathe, but I have never had to repeatedly pound the bar. And the knockout bar is just a piece of steel. If the end gets peened, file it off.

Normally when you dislodge the chuck you are not transmitting the full impact of the hammer to the headstock bearings. The knockout bar rests only on the end of the tapered shank holding the chuck. As soon as the chuck begins to move there is no load on the bearings at all.  You are not pounding on the spindle itself.

The tailstock on the Sherline lathe is fitted with a #0 Morse Taper.  Tools in the tailstock are removed as Alan O’Neil writes; by retracting it completely.  This is not true of the headstock.  Sherline uses drawbolts to snug the Jacobs Chuck and milling tools into the threaded socket. It is necessary to use the knockout bar to dislodge them.  Other Sherline chucks and tools are thread onto the headstock spindle.

Give it a good hard smack.  It should pop loose.

Roger

Thanks for the video, Dziadeczek.   He looks like he is tapping harder and with a bigger hammer than I did, so I will probably try this again.   The mill sat unused for many years, which might make the chuck harder to dislodge.  I did try with a wooden wedge, but the wedge broke apart.

Ron

Edited by rlb

Excellent  video! Answers all the questions.

Alan O'Neill