I don't know what's happening over at Seawatch Books, but I have twice sent them a message via their contact us page, and on neither occasion have they deigned to answer my query.

I looked through their catalogue in December, and saw that vol III of the Rogers Collection was now available, but that it had sold out. 

I therefore sent a message asking if they had any plans to increase the print run to allow for later orders, and to have a number in stock. I don't know who's monitoring their incoming messages, but they need a large rocket up their backsides, especially if other's messages are eliciting no more response than mine have.

On top of being rather upset that I had received no notification of this latest volume being available, despite being on their mailing list, to then have my valid queries completely ignored is adding insult to injury. 

Just to assist, I will advise you of the three possible answers, none of which take long to write:

1) Yes

2) No

3) We are considering this

WHERE ARE YOU!!!????

Mark P

Edited by Mark P
Typo correction

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

There is a topic very close by where this is discussed: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/31657-seawatch-books-is-open/

A bit worried about Mike, no email updates since November (except a few sales) and last login to MSW in December last year. Hope it he is ok and just hiding under a lower deck until the Volume 3 is finally available :) 

Let's keep in mind that it is a small niche business that is mostly driven by enthusiasm, let's be gentle and cooperative with people who provide that invaluable service to the modelling community ;)

Thanks Mike;

I did indeed read along with the topic you link to, whenever there was a new contribution. It seemed best to post this under a new topic, though.

I would expect that if there is any problem, that someone somewhere, closer to SeaWatch than most of us are, would know of it and post an update to keep potential clients informed, as was the case with both Jim Byrnes' business, and SeaWatch itself under the previous owners.

There are two books listed as forthcoming, one of which has already sold out, seemingly. So it seems that things are ticking over as usual. Maybe there are difficulties behind the scenes; but my main gripe is that a business which does not respond to two separate emails for a period of over a month in total, needs to do a lot better; that is unarguable; and the doing better category would include letting people know if there is a reason for such delays. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

The release has been delayed a few times already since last summer, but on each occasion, I received a notification from the third party called Purple Dot.  But just before the date expired I would get a new notice, advising me of the new later shipping date.

But January 21-31 has come and gone, and no new notification. So hopefully they are close! Or they gave up ... [joke] ... and moved to Uruguay, which I hear is quite nice.

Here's the last:

PRE-ORDER REFERENCE: #PD565894

New estimated shipping date

75230b90371d778c6bcead4be6c684ee

Hi stephen,

SeaWatch Books has just let us know that the estimated shipping date for your pre-order has changed:

• Original estimated shipping date: Jan 5 – 7
  • New estimated shipping date: Jan 21 – 31

Thank you for trusting Purple Dot with your pre-order. You can always change your mind and cancel for free anytime before your pre-order ships here.

Thanks,
Team Purple Dot

Hi Everyone!

Allow me to provide an update here. First to @Mark P, my apologies on not returning your email. I am looking into whether my spam filters are blocking emails from the website (I've had a few people mention this to me recently).

To everyone, I am sorry for the repeated delays and I am embarrassed that it keeps happening. Simply stated, when I turned on pre-orders last summer (!), I thought the book was further along and that there were just some simple edits to do ahead of sending it to the printer. It was actually a much more involved process to get it print ready (note this is on me, not the author). Then, each time I think we're close, I find something else in the layout.

Here's where things stand: I am expecting the final layout from the designer in the next 24-48 hours. Then we just have the dust jacket to finalize, at which point it will go to the printer and when it does, I will have a rock solid delivery date.

This is not how I wanted things to go - chalk it up to some rookie mistakes on my part. But we are on track and as always thanks for your patience.

Mike

Good Evening Mike;

Thank you for posting your reply. If it is the spam filters, yes please, sort them out, as customer communications are a vital interface for us all.

However, regrettably, this still does not answer my original query:

Will it be possible to order a copy of the Rogers Collection Vol III? Which is marked up on the website as sold out. Is this an error? Or if it is correct (in which event I am very surprised not to have received any notification of the book being available for pre-order) will you be increasing the print run? I would really like to order a copy of this book, as well as the Fubbs volume, and my query being continually left unanswered is rather frustrating.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Thank you Mike;

I am greatly relieved to hear that. See you at the checkout!

All the best,

Mark P

To be fair to Mike he does say he is not sure if those two are in the Rogers Collection or not. 

Vol III covers fourth to sixth rates. Presumably the brig is unrated, and so is too small to fall into this category; and must wait for the next volume, along with any single masted vessels. However, as a frigate one would expect that the Shannon would be in vol III if it was part of the Collection; something I know not. Unless it is intended to produce a separate volume of American vessels?

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

The HMS Shannon is indeed part of the collection, and is a fifth-rate 38, built in 1806. Asked any modeler to name a ship in the Rogers collection, and 95% will say, if they can, the Fair American, thanks to Modelshipways.

As for the Shannon, please ship to 54:20 of this Naval Academy video. That's the HMS Shannon model standing in for HMS Guerriere:

Note that he mentions the Minerva. That is in reference to another model shown earlier. He calls her "unidentified", but the catalog says "Shannon", and she was allegedly purchased from the estate of Shannon's captain, Phillip Broke. Hopefully, she is covered as an "unidentified frigate", circa 1812. I think she is the fir-built sister-class of the Shannon, the Eurotas Class of 1812, modified with a victory figurehead. The model has a square tuck stern.

Edited by uss frolick

Hi All,

ok a bit of egg on my face. When asked I looked at the table of contents and didn’t see either ship referenced. 

Upon further reading, I realized that the Shannon is thought to have been Model 23, which Grants book makes a case against (and hence not specifically mentioned I. The TOC)

Fair American is Model 60, which is not covered here but I believe will be in Volume IV. 

Thanks for keeping me honest!

Mike

Loved the video! Is there anybody more enthusiastic about naval history than Grant? Whether for an audience of one or twenty he never disappoints.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

As an author of a published maritime history book, I feel that you guys are mistakenly picking on the publisher.  Criticism of this sort should be directed at the author.

The author is responsible for the book’s content including factual errors.  The publisher is responsible for turning the author’s manuscript into a book.  The publisher will usually provide an Editor but these people are experts in English Grammar, not necessarily the book’s content.  A good editor can do his or her Job without the author ever realizing that changes have been made.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Out of curiosity, do you have a release date for Ab Hoving’s new book, yet?

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me